+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I worked after graduation but before applying for PGWP, help!

Priyavart Rajain

Aug 29, 2017
New Delhi , india
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2018
LANDED..........
02-07-2018
Hi, I got my completion letter from my university on January 24th, however I was confused if graduation letter or completion letter are different things so I kept on waiting for a completion letter ( Even though I already had it, just didn't realize that it was that) and I continued working part time ( 10hrs a week ) until now, February 12th. I realized now that it was in fact the letter I needed. I am applying for PGWP today, and I don't know what to do.. Am I going to get rejected? How bad is this situation

Reactions: mohak1990

mohak1990

Aug 6, 2019
Hi, I got my completion letter from my university on January 24th, however I was confused if graduation letter or completion letter are different things so I kept on waiting for a completion letter ( Even though I already had it, just didn't realize that it was that) and I continued working part time ( 10hrs a week ) until now, February 12th. I realized now that it was in fact the letter I needed. I am applying for PGWP today, and I don't know what to do.. Am I going to get rejected? How bad is this situation
Its on your luck! Anything can happen!

JMmoura

Sep 9, 2021
I worked 2 weeks while waiting for PGWP, however, when I applied it had already passed 90 days after graduation, I wasn`t allowed to work then.
Unfortunately, I was not aware of that rule, I just assumed I could work after applying for PGWP until the decision and I didn`t know the study permit would expire in 90 days, before the expiring date on it.
I received 3 years, but I clearly work illegally.

What can I do when applying for PR. Do you think they will be understanding? it was unintentional, I swear

Anyone that went through this?

Priyavart Rajain

Aug 29, 2017
New Delhi , india
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2018
LANDED..........
02-07-2018
I worked 2 weeks while waiting for PGWP, however, when I applied it had already passed 90 days after graduation, I wasn`t allowed to work then.
Unfortunately, I was not aware of that rule, I just assumed I could work after applying for PGWP until the decision and I didn`t know the study permit would expire in 90 days, before the expiring date on it.
I received 3 years, but I clearly work illegally.

What can I do when applying for PR. Do you think they will be understanding? it was unintentional, I swear

Anyone that went through this?
I think you can work full time while you're waiting for the decision, even if ur study permit expires. For example, in my confirmation letter it says I can work full time until June while waiting for the decision, but my study permit expires in March.. so I think you'll be fine

JMmoura

Sep 9, 2021
I think you can work full time while you're waiting for the decision, even if ur study permit expires. For example, in my confirmation letter it says I can work full time until June while waiting for the decision, but my study permit expires in March.. so I think you'll be fine
The thing is, apparently, after 90 days of graduating, the study permit expires regardless the expiring date printed on it. That`s what happened to me, I was focused on my portfolio after school so that I would be job ready after applying for PGWP, however I was not aware of the 90 days and applied after that.
Unfortunately, I worked for two weeks before getting the decision.

Priyavart Rajain

Aug 29, 2017
New Delhi , india
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2018
LANDED..........
02-07-2018
The thing is, apparently, after 90 days of graduating, the study permit expires regardless the expiring date printed on it. That`s what happened to me, I was focused on my portfolio after school so that I would be job ready after applying for PGWP, however I was not aware of the 90 days and applied after that.
Unfortunately, I worked for two weeks before getting the decision.
You applied for PGWP 90 days after graduating? Then I guess you also stayed in Canada for 2 weeks with your study permit expired?

JMmoura

Sep 9, 2021
You applied for PGWP 90 days after graduating? Then I guess you also stayed in Canada for 2 weeks with your study permit expired?
No, not really. My status was fine because I went back home and I have a multiple entry visa, so when I got here I received 6 months

Priyavart Rajain

Aug 29, 2017
New Delhi , india
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2018
LANDED..........
02-07-2018
If you applied AFTER applying, you're good.. my problem is that I started working BEFORE applying for PGWP. Worked for about 26 hours in 13 days and then applied. So our situation is different but I think you'll be okay cause you're allowed to work once you've applied

JMmoura

Sep 9, 2021
If you applied AFTER applying, you're good.. my problem is that I started working BEFORE applying for PGWP. Worked for about 26 hours in 13 days and then applied. So our situation is different but I think you'll be okay cause you're allowed to work once you've applied
Not that different though, because there is a rule that the study permit expires 90 days after graduating, regardless the expiring date printed on it, and one of the conditions we need to meet when applying for pgwp to be allowed to work while waiting is to have a valid study permit.

What I am saying is: you can work while waiting for a decision if you applied in 90 days after graduation, if not, you still can apply for pgwp beacuse you have 180 days to do so, however, if you applied after the 90 days period you won`t be allowed to work while waiting.

so, we both worked illegally unfortunately.

Today I talked to someone, this person knows a lot and she told me that the amount of time we both worked can be forgiven but we need to be honest in the application and definitely write a letter of explanation. I am not so sure but I will do as she said, I feel like being honest is the best approach.

Good luck to both of us!

Priyavart Rajain

Aug 29, 2017
New Delhi , india
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2018
LANDED..........
02-07-2018
Not that different though, because there is a rule that the study permit expires 90 days after graduating, regardless the expiring date printed on it, and one of the conditions we need to meet when applying for pgwp to be allowed to work while waiting is to have a valid study permit.

What I am saying is: you can work while waiting for a decision if you applied in 90 days after graduation, if not, you still can apply for pgwp beacuse you have 180 days to do so, however, if you applied after the 90 days period you won`t be allowed to work while waiting.

so, we both worked illegally unfortunately.

Today I talked to someone, this person knows a lot and she told me that the amount of time we both worked can be forgiven but we need to be honest in the application and definitely write a letter of explanation. I am not so sure but I will do as she said, I feel like being honest is the best approach.

Good luck to both of us!
Ah now I see what you mean.. I have attached a letter of explanation with my application, we'll be okay don't worry bud.

IntStu123

May 24, 2023
Hi guys,

I graduated and got my final results from UBC (full time studies) in mid May, and got hired to work 2 part time jobs from that point. I worked around 3-4 shifts in total during the 2 weeks before I applied for PGWP after someone from UBC International House told me to apply immediately and to own up to working illegally. Apparently upon getting my final grades, my study permit no longer allows me to work before applying for PGWP? My study permit allowed me to work on and off campus during non-study time. I expect to get my results for the PGWP application in around 2-3 weeks at which point my 90-day period after graduation ends, so I'm really short on time if I get rejected. The person working at International House told me that being honest in my application was the best way forward, but that some people had gotten rejected for doing what I did. I'm aware that every application is subjective and upto the specific agent, but I was curious if some people have made the same mistakes I did, or know anything about this situation that they could share. For example, is it likely that such cases get rejected/approved?

Thanks in advance!
I have a similar situation. How did this turn out for you? Thank you

DPJA7

Feb 15, 2022
Hi, i worked after graduation and before applying for PGWP too, and i just got PPR this morning.

just write a letter of explanation (my case, i didnt know) and everything should be fine!
Good luck!
Hey, need some help - in this case, did you disclose on your PGWP application that you worked unauthorized or just your PR application? Similar situation