+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I need help having to do with the marriage certificate

kourts

Nov 11, 2010
Okay so you get the papers you have to send in to actually get it, can I send those in right away or am I suppose to wait? and should i get the longer version or the short one for when i apply for permanent residency also how do i do the name change? this would be in Ontario. thank you!

mayasita

Sep 19, 2010
You need to send the actual marriage certificate (or copy, depending on your processing office) not the marriage registration, if that's what you're asking?

As for name change, it depends where you're trying to change it... Every card/institution has it's own process so you'll have to research each one separately... If you look for newlywed resources you'll probably find someone has done a lot of the legwork for you and will have most of the links you'll need in one place...

I do hope you're clearer on your actual application! ;)

kourts

Nov 11, 2010
I am not talking about my permanent resident application. I'm talking about obtaining my marriage certificate. After we got married the guy gave us papers to obtain it, but he wasn't clear on whether we could send the papers into get our marriage certificate right away or if we had to wait.

As for name change I'm not talking about changing them on the cards and stuff yet, I'm talking about how do I first start the process of it.

shandymoo

Sep 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2011
AOR Received.
17-02-11
File Transfer...
09-02-2011
Med's Done....
21-12-2010
Passport Req..
20-04-2011
VISA ISSUED...
19-05-2011
LANDED..........
27-05-2011
I know all about this LOL I got married over xmas in toronto and had to get the marriage registration and certificate rushed so i could mail my application before my flight home to england in january. You need to fax the registrar general in thunder bay with a signed letter saying you need your marriage registration and certificate expedited for immigration purposes, with all ur details on etc along with the certificate application form and a copy of the sponsors documents checklist with the part that says "Photocopy of marriage certificate" highlighted for evidence. A nice lady got in contact with me saying she would do it as soon as my registration papers came through from toronto as she got my fax weeks before she got my papers it was delayed in the mail cos of xmas and new year. She then rung to tell me she was processing it and it would be out in the mail for me. She got our papers in the mail on a friday, processed it the same day. printed certificate and mailed it on a monday and we got it in our po box on the thursday around 4pm. Any questions please ask !

islenio

Star Member
Oct 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2-Aug-2011
AOR Received.
9-Nov-2011
File Transfer...
6-Oct-2011
Med's Done....
18-Jul-2011
Passport Req..
20-Jan-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-Jan-2012
LANDED..........
4-Feb-2012
As per the Government of Ontario Website

"Marriage - Obtaining a Marriage Certificate in Ontario

Immediately after the marriage ceremony, the couple may receive a Record of Solemnization of Marriage from the person who performed the ceremony.

This document includes the couple's names, the date of the marriage, the names of the witnesses and whether the marriage was performed under the authority of a licence or the publication of banns. This is not a marriage certificate or a legal record.

The person who performed the marriage must forward the completed and signed marriage licence to the Office of the Registrar General for registration.

Note: The marriage must be registered before you may apply for a marriage certificate."

www.ontario.ca/en/life_events/married/STEL02_119192.html?openNav=after_you_get_married

fleo

Star Member
Nov 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-01-2011
Med's Done....
23-12-2010
We got married in Quebec, but I believe the process is fairly similar - about three weeks after the ceremony we got a letter from the Office of Register stating we can now obtain our marriage certificate, so we sent in our Record of solemnization, paid the fee and received the certificate next week. You can't get it until the marriage is registered, and it won't be registered until your court official (or whoever performed the ceremony) does the groundwork.

mayasita

Sep 19, 2010
There is no "official name change" process... You need to find out the requirements for each institution and follow their separate processes... Since it isn't a legal requirement in this country, you have to take the initiative to change everything yourself... Separately for the most part... I still have some (government related) things in my maiden name and I've been married twice! So figure out what you need to change and figure out what their requirements are, some you can do over the phone, others want to see marriage certificates... It's random...

mayasita

Sep 19, 2010
Okay i stand somewhat corrected, If for some reason you need to officially change your birth name (on your birth certificate) the process is here...

http://www.ontario.ca/en/life_events/married/012160.html

However the vast majority of people "assume" their spouses name as described...

mayasita

Sep 19, 2010
didn't know you have to physically change your name in Quebec... do people just not change their name, or does the majority change their birth certificates?

but anyways, the OP asked about Ontario, not Quebec.................... here it's rare to actually change your birth name...

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Karlshammar said:
In Quebec you can't assume your spouse's name, if I recall correctly.
I think you may be right - in any case, smart people don't debate that stuff with a Quebecois wife :)

mittens

Star Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2011
Med's Done....
20-04-2011
shandymoo, thanks so much for this information
i got married in thunder bay in february, but we couldn't seem to find how to get our certificate *expedited* we even rang th thunder bay office but was told they couldn't do it and we'd have to wait the 10 to 12 weeks...then tried to call in there personally, but there is no-one to talk to there...just a letterbox to post your stuff..crazy crazy huh! so now we should be on it thanks to you LOL

fleo

Star Member
Nov 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-01-2011
Med's Done....
23-12-2010
mayasita said:
didn't know you have to physically change your name in Quebec... do people just not change their name, or does the majority change their birth certificates?
You can't even do it "physically" - getting married is not considered a valid legal reason for changing your name, and request will be denied. People just leave it as is and don't worry about it :)

(I'll take my husband's last name anyway, mostly because mine is way too complicated for average Canadian to even begin pronouncing... but I figured since in order to do that I have to go to my embassy, register the marriage and get a new passport, once I update CIC with passport change any following document will automatically be issued in the new name.)

shandymoo

Sep 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2011
AOR Received.
17-02-11
File Transfer...
09-02-2011
Med's Done....
21-12-2010
Passport Req..
20-04-2011
VISA ISSUED...
19-05-2011
LANDED..........
27-05-2011
mittens said:
shandymoo, thanks so much for this information
i got married in thunder bay in february, but we couldn't seem to find how to get our certificate *expedited* we even rang th thunder bay office but was told they couldn't do it and we'd have to wait the 10 to 12 weeks...then tried to call in there personally, but there is no-one to talk to there...just a letterbox to post your stuff..crazy crazy huh! so now we should be on it thanks to you LOL
You have to request for the REGISTRATION and certificate to be expedited as the registration is what takes ages as they have alot of mail to go through.
yeah there was this huge mix up on my wedding day with the whole thing that really annoyed me. I got married in toronto and the woman gave me the wrong advice and told me i had to come back to the city hall next day. I had previously emailed thunder bay and they told me to fax everything and they would do it. So i called city hall and told them I wouldnt be coming back and to just post my registration as I can just fax everything over. So I did and didnt hear anything back so I called thunder bay and the rude lady told me nope nope nope you cant do that 10-12 weeks nope nope nope. I was furious! So a week or so went by and i got a nice voice mail from someone called Laurelene saying she got my fax weeks ago and has been checking the mail for me every day for my registration papers and they still werent there and to call city hall and make sure they forwarded them on to thunder bay so i did and the woman was like nope nope nope we ALWAYS post them the same day, thunderbay has a pile of letters that takes them 2 months to get through. Funny cos the woman on my wedding day told me she would hold off posting the papers as she thought i was coming back the next day with my certificate application. So she could have forgot to post them once i told her I wasnt.
It was so much stress it kind of ruined my wedding day stupid visa process!!!