+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I left Canada as a minor out of my will and I do not meet the residency obligation

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello all, there’s very good news. I did some good networking and found a guy who’s willing to connect me to someone who can give me a valid passport and be a citizen of Djibouti. There are two issues I see and only one I have no issue with. The cost to get a djibouti passport is 12,000$, the other issue is that it will take me one year from now to be fully processed. The issue with that is by then I’d have been 7 years out of the country and will be 23 years of age. My reason to why I was out of Canada for so long is because I’m entirely doing this on my own. From lawyer fees to anything else to return to Canada. My only worry is the shame I have to explain to CBSA officers for my disappearance. I have intention to relocate and stay in Canada, it was never my choice to stay out of Canada and be in a country I don’t speak the language and lack in culture wise and doesn’t support me in any way.
Why does the Djibouti passport cost so much? That doesn't make any sense.

Would you be obtaining Djibouti citizenship and the passport fraudulently? You definitely do not want to do that.

Moah4901

Sep 7, 2021
Why does the Djibouti passport cost so much? That doesn't make any sense.

Would you be obtaining Djibouti citizenship and the passport fraudulently? You definitely do not want to do that.
it wouldn’t be fraudulent, it would be legitimate but I would just be skipping the line I guess. It would be unethical, but the reason why it takes so long it’s because I was stateless for so long. The cost isn’t the issue here but it’s the processing time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
it wouldn’t be fraudulent, it would be legitimate but I would just be skipping the line I guess. It would be unethical, but the reason why it takes so long it’s because I was stateless for so long. The cost isn’t the issue here but it’s the processing time.
OK - got it. I'm not sure this really helps you to be honest. The longer you wait and the older you get, the less of an H&C argument you will have. You're already 22 if I'm not mistaken.

I would get another legal opinion and look into to the SJTD.

Moah4901

Sep 7, 2021
OK - got it. I'm not sure this really helps you to be honest. The longer you wait and the older you get, the less of an H&C argument you will have. You're already 22 if I'm not mistaken.

I would get another legal opinion and look into to the SJTD.
I’ll look into it with another lawyer, it’s unfortunate but trying is I’ll i can do.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I’ll look into it with another lawyer, it’s unfortunate but trying is I’ll i can do.
You're exploring everything. That's the right thing to do.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would be very careful if you actually go ahead with paying 12k to someone. You have no recourse when you are doing this and you could lose the 12k. They are running some form of money making business which is likely illegal or else you could pay the passport office directly. Are they even genuine passports that will scan if you try and go abroad? How long would it take to get citizenship in Djibouti and get a passport following the normal legal pathway?

Moah4901

Sep 7, 2021
Would be very careful if you actually go ahead with paying 12k to someone. You have no recourse when you are doing this and you could lose the 12k. They are running some form of money making business which is likely illegal or else you could pay the passport office directly. Are they even genuine passports that will scan if you try and go abroad? How long would it take to get citizenship in Djibouti and get a passport following the normal legal pathway?
only today I figured out there’s a legitimate way of getting a Djibouti passport which wouldn’t cost much at all and the process time is way faster but I’m going for an interview and have to explain why I didn’t sign up for one considering I lived as a stateless person for years.

Reactions: YVR123 and scylla

Moah4901

Sep 7, 2021
only today I figured out there’s a legitimate way of getting a Djibouti passport which wouldn’t cost much at all and the process time is way faster but I’m going for an interview and have to explain why I didn’t sign up for one considering I lived as a stateless person for years.
to follow up on this, does anyone have an idea how ong prtd H&C applications take ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
to follow up on this, does anyone have an idea how ong prtd H&C applications take ?
It really varies. Generally at least a couple of months but it can be many months. It's very hard to guess how long.

Good news on the passport.

Em W

Star Member
Feb 4, 2020
Hello all, there’s very good news. I did some good networking and found a guy who’s willing to connect me to someone who can give me a valid passport and be a citizen of Djibouti. There are two issues I see and only one I have no issue with. The cost to get a djibouti passport is 12,000$, the other issue is that it will take me one year from now to be fully processed. The issue with that is by then I’d have been 7 years out of the country and will be 23 years of age. My reason to why I was out of Canada for so long is because I’m entirely doing this on my own. From lawyer fees to anything else to return to Canada. My only worry is the shame I have to explain to CBSA officers for my disappearance. I have intention to relocate and stay in Canada, it was never my choice to stay out of Canada and be in a country I don’t speak the language and lack in culture wise and doesn’t support me in any way.
This is not a good idea. If you become a Djibouti citizen then you're no longer a refugee. Now that doesn't mean your PR status will be revoked immediately, it just means that if you were super lucky of getting your PRTD approved, the CBSA officer at the airport may issue an A44 report to IRCC when you land because they will realize that you are no longer a protected person. You now have another citizenship that provides you with a safe haven. This is of course assuming that the PRTD officer doesn't even initiate the process of revoking your PR status when you submit the PRTD application in the first place. You are a protected person. Getting another citizenship will put this status at risk. If you can obtain a Djibouti refugee travel document then it would be much much better because that would satisfy the valid passport requirement for the PRTD application.

Spending $12,000 just to become a Djibouti citizen and then having PRTD refused... Ouch. Sounds like a scummy deal. Don't go for it. It's illegal. Imagine IRCC officers running a check on you realizing you are Somalian and then you, out of the blue, supply them with a Djibouti passport. They are going to wonder why. You'll be stuck in background check loops. Even a lawyer and a lawsuit may not work.

If it's a Djibouti refugee travel document or a foreigner's passport. Then OK. This would work. If becoming a Djibouti citizen, then no. Is it an official stream? Sounds like it's the under-the-table kind of deal.

Reactions: canuck78

Moah4901

Sep 7, 2021
This is not a good idea. If you become a Djibouti citizen then you're no longer a refugee. Now that doesn't mean your PR status will be revoked immediately, it just means that if you were super lucky of getting your PRTD approved, the CBSA officer at the airport may issue an A44 report to IRCC when you land because they will realize that you are no longer a protected person. You now have another citizenship that provides you with a safe haven. This is of course assuming that the PRTD officer doesn't even initiate the process of revoking your PR status when you submit the PRTD application in the first place. You are a protected person. Getting another citizenship will put this status at risk. If you can obtain a Djibouti refugee travel document then it would be much much better because that would satisfy the valid passport requirement for the PRTD application.

Spending $12,000 just to become a Djibouti citizen and then having PRTD refused... Ouch. Sounds like a scummy deal. Don't go for it. It's illegal. Imagine IRCC officers running a check on you realizing you are Somalian and then you, out of the blue, supply them with a Djibouti passport. They are going to wonder why. You'll be stuck in background check loops. Even a lawyer and a lawsuit may not work.

If it's a Djibouti refugee travel document or a foreigner's passport. Then OK. This would work. If becoming a Djibouti citizen, then no. Is it an official stream? Sounds like it's the under-the-table kind of deal.
i am so glad you had advised me to go with this idea. Thank you for the approach, I’ll instead do this and get a djibouti refugee travel document.

Em W

Star Member
Feb 4, 2020
i am so glad you had advised me to go with this idea. Thank you for the approach, I’ll instead do this and get a djibouti refugee travel document.
You would have to double-check if Djibouti actually issues a document like that. However, you need to understand that once you get that document it may still not work out. You're risking $12,000 going down the drain. I don't know to be honest. I'm not too big of a fan of this. I would like you to get a Djibouti travel document (If it officially exists). You need to make sure it is a document that officially exists but I wouldn't pay $12000 for one. It sounds like a scam brother. Please proceed with HUGE CAUTION.
If you decide to go that route.. you shouldn't pay that much for one... and if you do... realize that there is 90% chance of it not working out.

Moah4901

Sep 7, 2021
You would have to double-check if Djibouti actually issues a document like that. However, you need to understand that once you get that document it may still not work out. You're risking $12,000 going down the drain. I don't know to be honest. I'm not too big of a fan of this. I would like you to get a Djibouti travel document (If it officially exists). You need to make sure it is a document that officially exists but I wouldn't pay $12000 for one. It sounds like a scam brother. Please proceed with HUGE CAUTION.
If you decide to go that route.. you shouldn't pay that much for one... and if you do... realize that there is 90% chance of it not working out.
after some research they don’t have a document that exist as such and I won’t go through the route of getting a passport. I’m looking for a different lawyer and contacted a law firm in Toronto about my case and waiting for a response.

Em W

Star Member
Feb 4, 2020
after some research they don’t have a document that exist as such and I won’t go through the route of getting a passport. I’m looking for a different lawyer and contacted a law firm in Toronto about my case and waiting for a response.
To be honest, the best solution here is to hire a lawyer and have the lawyer apply for a PRTD H&C as well as include an additional H&C request to waive the passport requirement for the PRTD application. When waving the valid passport requirement for PRTD, there are two options to get a passport/travel document:

1- Have the lawyer ask the Canadian mission to issue you an SJTD when applying for PRTD

OR

2- Inform IRCC that you will supply a red cross travel document when the PRTD application is approved. Click here. This is something the International Committee of the Red Cross travel document. It is issued for 3 months in case someone was able to secure a visa but they were not able to get a travel document. The problem with ICRC travel document is that you can only get it when the PRTD application is approved. They need to see an approved visa. You have to check if ICRC has an office in Djibouti. They should. So in this case. The lawyer can either ask to waive the passport requirement and have the Canadian mission issue an SJTD, OR, ask IRCC to waive the passport requirement and inform them that you will be obtaining an ICRC travel document upon approval of your PRTD.

You need to double check the ICRC in Djibouti and see if they process such applications. I would honestly lean towards option one and have your lawyer absolutely fight for the PRTD and SJTD. Because you never know, you may not be able to get an ICRC travel document if your PRTD was approved for whatever reason.

If the PRTD application is refused, then you need to have the lawyer, again, apply for a Judicial Review to appeal the decision.

If the PRTD application is approved thanks to the lawyer, then you're good to go. If not, then it will be a longer and more expensive route that may or may not be worth fighting depending on your finances.

Realize that the whole situation is circumstantial. The H&C factors of your PRTD may not be very strong when assessed by the officer. This is why you need a lawyer to see if your H&C factors are justified to go through such an endeavour. You need to have a lawyer who believes in your circumstanced and your application.