October 9 2012
Med's Request
second medical request Aug 20, 2013
Med's Done....
medical done March 20 2012 and Sep 29 2013
Interview........
DM Dec 30 2013
Please can anyone give us some ideas.

My husband is my sponsor and now got a serious cancer and is receiving ei for 15 weeks. But today they told us that they found more and now he will be sick and cemo for at least 6 months. Since he is my sponsor, we don't know what to do. If we cant find another income after these 15 weeks....all we have to live on is my retirement from Sweden.. 1460 per month. And we will not survive on that with all his medicines, rent, utility's and more.

Is there any way we would be able to get welfare as last resort, even if he is my sponsor....... Has anyone heard of a story like this and have some input for us. Please. Please God help us

M

mikeymyke

Really sorry about your husband, I hope he will get better soon.

He can apply for EI sickness benefits:
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/types/sickness.shtml#what

Use this benefits finder tool to determine all eligible benefits he can use
http://www.canadabenefits.gc.ca/f.1.2c.6.3zardq.5esti.4ns@.jsp?lang=eng

What are his job benefits like? Do they offer him benefits for long-term sickness? Check with him on that. His benefits might also cover his medicines and prescriptions.

Does he have a line of credit? He can use that to pay any bills but he just needs to only pay off the interest, which will be extremely low.

Since you already have PR, it doesn't matter if he goes on welfare or not, as you already got PR. But he really shouldn't need to go on it as there are many services available to him.

These things might not replace his income before, but it will help. Are you currently in Canada and working? You can find decent jobs here and maybe give him a hand.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
So sorry to hear about your hubby. Hopefully, he will overcome it eventually. ** Post edited to remove/correct erroneous information**

What kind of EI benefits is he collecting? The regular EI benefits or EI sick benefits?

Does he have sick leave at his job and can he apply? You can ask Service Canada about it too for clarification.

For EI sick benefits, see this: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sc/ei/benefits/sickness.shtml

Are you eligible for EI sickness benefits?

You may be entitled to receive EI sickness benefits if:
•you are employed in insurable employment;
•you meet the specific criteria for receiving EI sickness benefits;
•your normal weekly earnings have been reduced by more than 40%; and
•you have accumulated at least 600 hours of insurable employment during the qualifying period or, if you are a self-employed fisher, you have sufficient insurable earnings from self-employment in fishing during the qualifying period.

You have paid EI premiums

If you are employed in insurable employment, your employer will deduct EI premiums from your wages or salary. These premiums go into the EI Fund. There is no minimum or maximum age for paying EI premiums.

You pay EI premiums on all your earnings up to a maximum amount. In 2014, for every $100 you earn, your employer will deduct $1.88, until your annual earnings reach the maximum yearly insurable amount of $48,600. The maximum amount of premiums to be paid in 2014 is therefore $913.68.

Since Quebec has its own program that offers maternity, paternity, and parental benefits, the Government of Canada has adjusted the premiums accordingly for that province. In 2014, the premium rate for workers in Quebec is set at $1.53 for every $100 of earnings, up to a maximum amount of $743.58 for the year.

See this too:
Is the benefit rate higher for low-income family members?

Yes. If we determine that your net family income is $25,921 or less per year, that you have children, and that you or your spouse receives the Canada Child Tax Benefit, you are considered a member of a low-income family. You may therefore be eligible to receive the EI Family Supplement.

The amount of EI Family Supplement you receive depends on:
•your net family income (up to the $25,921 yearly maximum); and
•the number of children in your family, and their ages.

The Family Supplement may increase your benefit rate to as high as 80% of your average insurable earnings. If you and your spouse claim EI benefits at the same time, only one of you can receive the Family Supplement. It is usually better for the spouse with the lower benefit rate to receive the Family Supplement.

If your income level rises, the Family Supplement gradually decreases. You are no longer eligible to receive the Family Supplement when your net family income is greater than $25,921.

For EI regular benefits, see this: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sc/ei/benefits/regular.shtml
If he stopped working due to illness, he may not qualify for the regular EI benefits but again, ask Service Canada to be sure since I don't know for sure.

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
Who has P.R.if you are already here and landed it won't make any difference. I am looking on the time line on the side of your page .

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
If you were working, but have taken time off to care for your hubby, you may be eligible for some assistance. See this: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/lifeevents/caregiver.shtml

Employment Insurance Compassionate Care Benefits

Who can apply?

Am I eligible?

You can receive compassionate care benefits for up to a maximum of six weeks if you have to be absent from work to provide care or support to a gravely ill family member at risk of dying within 26 weeks. If you are unemployed and already receiving EI benefits, you can also apply for compassionate care benefits.

To be eligible for compassionate care benefits, you must be able to show that:
•your regular weekly earnings from work have decreased by more than 40 percent; and
•you have accumulated 600 insured hours of work in the last 52 weeks, or since the start of your last claim (this period is called the qualifying period).

Note: If you have been paid EI benefits in the past and you received a written notice (for example, a warning letter or penalty letter) for making a false statement, you may need more insured hours to claim compassionate care benefits.

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
This breaks my heart so sorry to hear about your husband . There has to be some help out their for you.

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
I have nothing helpful to add. Just wanted to say that my heart goes out to you and your hubby. I'm so sorry you're facing this, just when you're supposed to be able to start a real life together.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
I was also going to suggest the food bank for help with groceries. Many self-sufficient people who are having difficulties are generally reluctant to do this but know that it exists for that purpose. There is no shame in asking for help when you need it.

I work in the hospital and I've heard of situations where physicians requested special relief on compassionate grounds to cover cost of medication a patient needs but can't afford. Consider asking his treating physician if possible to get drugs covered on compassionate grounds.

M

mikeymyke

The good news is because she has PR already, they don't have to worry about his eligibility to sponsor. Now she can just simply focus on caring for her hubby. I don't know the rules for working while receiving a foreign pension, but she could maybe work while here to support him too.

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi ( Parents Sponsorship )
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
SenoritaBella said:
So sorry to hear about your hubby. Hopefully, he will overcome it eventually. Unfortunately, if he(sponsor) goes on welfare at any point during this entire process, he will be in breach of sponsor eligibility requirements and the application may be refused.
?? She already is a PR

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
mikeymyke said:
The good news is because she has PR already, they don't have to worry about his eligibility to sponsor. Now she can just simply focus on caring for her hubby. I don't know the rules for working while receiving a foreign pension, but she could maybe work while here to support him too.
Its fine to work while collecting a foreign pension,but think about it ,not likely she will get a job and on the other hand she is trying to look after her husband .My hearts breaks for her .

M

mikeymyke

yes well, we'll wait for her to reply to this thread and see what happens. If her husband has good benefits at work, there's a good chance he won't suffer much financially, but of course, it must be very emotionally trying for both of them.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Yes, she is a PR. I missed the title of her thread when I posted that. I'll edit. Thanks

user828 said:
?? She already is a PR

DaleandMonica

Star Member
Dec 6, 2012
BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 11 2012
Doc's Request.
January 10 2013
Nomination.....
AIP Aug 17, 2013
AOR Received.
October 9 2012
Med's Request
second medical request Aug 20, 2013
Med's Done....
medical done March 20 2012 and Sep 29 2013
Interview........
DM Dec 30 2013
Thank for all your answers.

I am retired in Sweden and have my 1460 dollar sent to me every month from Sweden. I cant work here, then I would lose my money from Sweden. And those are for life. And Sweden and Canada is open to each other.....so if I would work here, Sweden would know. My little money is our security right now. They cover rent and unititys and the plates and not very more. I am a Permanent Residences since a few month.

My husband does not have benefits through his work. But our income is over the max, for what you described earlier.
He will get EI sick 15 weeks. We have no kids. We are around 50 years old both of us.

Where do we go from here? When the 15 weeks is over and he still will be sick for months.....and hopefully not for years.

Medicine's Food Gas and more........oh life is so hard. We cant be without a car, as we live.

Hope I painted a better picture of our situation now.

Isnt there any room in the rules, if we one day would have to turn to welfare, as long he is sick?

In our situation, isn't there any other place we can turn, to get help? How does disability work?