+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I got refusal letter of PGWP and my study permit expired already. Please help me

alexmsoh

Oct 28, 2013
I've graduated from Sprott Shaw College (Practical Nursing program) on March 29th, 2013 and I've applied PGWP on May 22nd, 2013. However, I received a refusal letter from citizenship and immigration Canada on Sept 11, 2013 referring to my application for a post graduation work permit saying that this type of document cannot be issued to a foreign national who has engaged in unauthorized work or study in Canada. But I did not work or study illegally in Canada at all. I had a valid study permit from July 31, 2012 to June 30, 2013 while I was doing my practical nursing program. I only went for my practicums and preceptorship at certain care homes and hospitals which was a part of the learning process of the practical nursing program. I did not get paid for any of those hours. So those practicums and preceptorship are not counted as work. All of my other classmates who are international students as well and have done those practicums and preceptorship as me got their post-graduation work permits.
I called to CIC and they said that like "email us to explain your situation." so I emailed them and they sent to responsible department. At the same time, I was anxious my study permit. My study permit expired on June 30th, 2013 (I know only can stay 90days from expire date). For this problem, CIC said that i need to restoration as a visitor so I applied restoration as a visitor on Sept 26th, 2013. One day, I received an email from Question @ cic.gc.ca which is i emailed explanation of my situation last time. They said, "Good morning, Your application has been received and has been processed.
For any updates on your file, or for any other questions, please contact the Call Centre (open Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.) at 1-888-242-2100. The Call Centre can answer questions, in English and French, about Citizenship and Immigration (CIC) services and programs, or applications in process inside Canada." so I just waited until Oct 28th, 2013. However, I didn't get any response from that date I received the email. Today, I called to CIC agent and I asked my PGWP processing but they said that there's no application processing, the only thing processing is vistor visa. My PGWP already refused on Sept 11th, 2013. I was really embarassed and now I stuck on here.

You know I've passed LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) national exam on Sept 11th, 2013. Now, i am currently LPN in Canada. I really want to work..I am a nurse!!!

Please, help me and suggest to do.

Any other people have the same situation?

Thank you!!!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

alexmsoh said:
I've graduated from Sprott Shaw College (Practical Nursing program) on March 29th, 2013 and I've applied PGWP on May 22nd, 2013. However, I received a refusal letter from citizenship and immigration Canada on Sept 11, 2013 referring to my application for a post graduation work permit saying that this type of document cannot be issued to a foreign national who has engaged in unauthorized work or study in Canada. But I did not work or study illegally in Canada at all. I had a valid study permit from July 31, 2012 to June 30, 2013 while I was doing my practical nursing program. I only went for my practicums and preceptorship at certain care homes and hospitals which was a part of the learning process of the practical nursing program. I did not get paid for any of those hours. So those practicums and preceptorship are not counted as work. All of my other classmates who are international students as well and have done those practicums and preceptorship as me got their post-graduation work permits.
I called to CIC and they said that like "email us to explain your situation." so I emailed them and they sent to responsible department. At the same time, I was anxious my study permit. My study permit expired on June 30th, 2013 (I know only can stay 90days from expire date). For this problem, CIC said that i need to restoration as a visitor so I applied restoration as a visitor on Sept 26th, 2013. One day, I received an email from Question @ cic.gc.ca which is i emailed explanation of my situation last time. They said, "Good morning, Your application has been received and has been processed.
For any updates on your file, or for any other questions, please contact the Call Centre (open Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.) at 1-888-242-2100. The Call Centre can answer questions, in English and French, about Citizenship and Immigration (CIC) services and programs, or applications in process inside Canada." so I just waited until Oct 28th, 2013. However, I didn't get any response from that date I received the email. Today, I called to CIC agent and I asked my PGWP processing but they said that there's no application processing, the only thing processing is vistor visa. My PGWP already refused on Sept 11th, 2013. I was really embarassed and now I stuck on here.

You know I've passed LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) national exam on Sept 11th, 2013. Now, i am currently LPN in Canada. I really want to work..I am a nurse!!!

Please, help me and suggest to do.

Any other people have the same situation?

Thank you!!!
1. Sprott Shaw is not an eligible school for PGWP, so you were not eligible.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
As PMM said, the school you attended does not allow you to apply for a PGWP. A school must appear on the following list for a student to qualify for a PGWP:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/institutions/participants.asp

If you want to stay in Canada and work, you'll need to find an employer who can get an approved LMO and then you'll need to apply for a closed work permit.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
With visitor status, he/she may need to return to their home country and apply from there. I don't believe it is still possible to change status from visitor to worker/student within Canada.

scylla said:
As PMM said, the school you attended does not allow you to apply for a PGWP. A school must appear on the following list for a student to qualify for a PGWP:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/institutions/participants.asp

If you want to stay in Canada and work, you'll need to find an employer who can get an approved LMO and then you'll need to apply for a closed work permit.

alexmsoh

Oct 28, 2013
Thank you for replaying. Sprott-Shaw Community College, Surrey which is an EQA designated private post- secondary institution in British Columbia and received its Education Quality Assurance (EQA) on December 23, 2009 before the start date of pilot (January 31, 2011). This institution is included in the list of qualified non-degree granting institutions. I was enrolled in licensed practical nursing program on April 2, 2012 before August 31, 2012 deadline and have successfully completed my Licensed Practical Nursing program of 12 months which is also related to the National Occupation Classification Scheme under the health occupations, major group 32 ( NOC code 3233).

This site doesn't allow to post links, so I cannot show the website but it's true.

In other words, my school was an eligible PGWP until my program which was 1 year program from April 2nd 2012. Sprott Shaw College is not eligible anymore from September program.

Well, I will find employer who can get an approved LMO.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
If the school was eligible when you enrolled, I'm not sure how they(CIC) can retro-actively apply this rule to students like you? Are you able to speak to a lawyer? Or perhaps send them an email with your explanation and ask for reconsideration of your application. It does not hurt, besides sometimes they too make mistakes.

alexmsoh

Oct 28, 2013
Oh, yes. Thank you for replying. They said that practicum and preceptorship program need co-op visa (which is study permit visa + on-campus work permit) but i didn't get that work permit during that period. They also said that these are indicated I worked without authorization, so I worked illegally. However, I didn't know that because this was part of school programs and we didn't receive any pay from all programs.

Now, I am looking for sponsor who can get an approved LMO.