+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I can't apply for OHIP because I'm on a casual contract, and I can't apply to any insurance, how do I get insurance?

Aug 8, 2023
Hello, I recently graduated and I'm on a post-graduate work permit. I continued my co-op job as a casual worker in the government for 90 days until September 29 2023 and the job does not provide any health insurance benefits. My student insurance expires on August 29 and I'm still looking for a job for when I finish my current contract with the government.

Since my contract is for less than 6 months I am not eligible for OHIP and I don't know how long it will take me to find my next job, so I would like to apply for insurance starting on September in case of emergency arises while I wait to be eligible.

However, every insurance that I try to find on Google has the pre-requirement that I'm already covered partially by the government to apply so I'm not really sure what to do.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello, I recently graduated and I'm on a post-graduate work permit. I continued my co-op job as a casual worker in the government for 90 days until September 29 2023 and the job does not provide any health insurance benefits. My student insurance expires on August 29 and I'm still looking for a job for when I finish my current contract with the government.

Since my contract is for less than 6 months I am not eligible for OHIP and I don't know how long it will take me to find my next job, so I would like to apply for insurance starting on September in case of emergency arises while I wait to be eligible.

However, every insurance that I try to find on Google has the pre-requirement that I'm already covered partially by the government to apply so I'm not really sure what to do.

Any suggestions? Thank you.
I would recommend you work with an insurance advisor in this case. An insurance advisor can hear your needs and then recommend the plan / company that best suits what you're looking for.

I think what you're looking for is travel health insurance, basically something that covers you in the event of an emergency. However any pre-existing conditions and non-emergencies won't be covered.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I think the google result that OP got is for "general Canadians" who already have health insurnace coverage and are for covering extended health benefit which are available e.g. for ppl who are self employed to purchase.

OP as suggested, should look for travel health insurnace for foreigners in Canada to cover emergency medical.
That's what my husband got until he was covered by BC MSP back then. (years ago) I think he got it from pacific blue cross.

NOTE: This just an example. I am not suggesting/recommanding this plan because we never needed to claim for any emergency visit.
https://travelweb.pac.bluecross.ca/travelweb/VtcTripDetails.aspx?TripType=VtcTrip

However, I saw that you can only purchase it online if you haven't travel to Canada or are within 30 days of arrival. I think you need to call them or other insurnace advisor. (may be get qoute from diff companies)

Policies may only be purchased prior to or within 30 days of arrival.
If you wish to extend your existing Visitor to Canada Coverage you must contact us directly.
For more information or to extend your existing plan, please contact us at xxxxx /QUOTE]

Reactions: Canada2020eh