+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am sorry but I find this ridiculous of the US to even suggest.

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
June 01, 2011[img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/SimsFC/icons/smileys/flag-canada.gif[/img] [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/patriot.gif[/img]
I know I am an American and maybe shouldn't be saying this but I do think the US needs to step off their high horse for a bit. They really need to be their own country and not try to tell other countries how to rule themselves. I think before long we won't be able to even travel back and forth across the US/Canada border. It is already hard as it is and now they are considering having Canadians needing visas to go to the US. Just my 2 cents but I find that way out of line. Instead of restricting travel, could they not just have better communication between the borders? And what happened to the sayings at Peace Arch?
"Brethren dwelling together in unity" "Children of a common mother" "May these gates never be closed"
Sounds like they might have to tear that down if they go against it.

I was watching the news tonight when I heard this story. Here is the article on the website if you would like to read: http://www.globalnational.com/world/BORDER+SECURITY/4205543/story.html

Kaycee1

Jan 17, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2011
Nomination.....
Sponsor Approved 24-02-2011
AOR Received.
02-03-2011
Med's Request
In process 20-05-2011
Med's Done....
26-04-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17-06-11
VISA ISSUED...
15-06-11
LANDED..........
14-08-11
I must say that the loosest security I've ever seen in airports has been in the US. This is another way of putting the blame on someone else for the US's own problems!

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
June 01, 2011[img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/SimsFC/icons/smileys/flag-canada.gif[/img] [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/patriot.gif[/img]
Kaycee1 said:
I must say that the loosest security I've ever seen in airports has been in the US. This is another way of putting the blame on someone else for the US's own problems!
EXACTLY! I love my home country but I do hate that they just point fingers at others for the own faults instead of themselves. How is it Canada's fault if some of the border isn't covered by more CBP? That should only be a US issue and not Canada's.

aerogurl87

Nov 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2012
Doc's Request.
12-02-13
AOR Received.
18-10-2012
Med's Done....
23-04-2012
Interview........
WAIVED!!!! :)
Passport Req..
12-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-03-2013
LANDED..........
10-04-2013
Another reason I am not proud to be an American. *sigh* The US needs to step their game up and realize that you can't throw all your problems on everyone else and sometimes you have to take responsibility for yourself. And instead of focusing on Islamic terrorists, how about they focus on stopping the violence that is rampant at the Southern border? I feel that's more of a real threat than anything that can come from Canada.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The US has lost the plot, it subjects it citizens to unlawful searches, subjects the general travelling public to x-rays, and sexually assaults citizens.
The government are disregarding the constitution, all in the name of security.

Sadly it is all "security theatre".

Would I move there, NO.
Is the USA free? It does not look like it.

(Please don't forget to read my signature line)

ocu_canadian

Star Member
Oct 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17/01/2011
Doc's Request.
none needed
AOR Received.
29/05/2011
File Transfer...
08/02/2011
Med's Done....
16/11/2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11/07/11
VISA ISSUED...
12/07/11
LANDED..........
12/07/11
love_Young

I am with you 100% as a Canadian that went to the US on a scholarship to study I have seen this alot. However, it is not only the border guards this effects, this attitude reflects and transfers over to your average US citizen. Let's face it the average US citizen lives everyday life in paranoia. They think they are all high and mighty and stick their nose into everybody else's business but then can't figure out why their country is not well liked across the globe. I am not speaking about all Americans so no one get defensive with me here. I have an American wife, in laws, and friends and alot of them are not like this but I have seen those who are while in class, at practice, etc and it is really disgusting

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
I have only been visiting Canada for 2 years but within that short time, I have seen the US go downhill.
Makes me want to go home less and less. I am almost afraid as to what I will subject myself to just trying to visit my family.
I shouldn't have to be afraid or ashamed of visiting home. I am a citizen so why can't I be treated as one?

JimM

Sep 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2012
From the article

"Senator Joe Lieberman, chairman of the Senate Homeland Security committee, said the findings confirm that security efforts are "unacceptably ineffective." He said the report has raised enough concerns that he feels it is time for the U.S. and Canada to discuss whether it makes sense to require Canadians to have visas in order to enter the United States."

Lieberman is a psychopath and a blowhard who won reelection as an Independent after losing the Democratic primary, (considering he votes like a Republican, no big surprise). He's now so unpopular he's announced he won't seek reelection when this term ends. I wouldn't take the fact he says it as proof that a majority of US Congress members believe it.

JimM

Sep 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2012
Baloo said:
The US has lost the plot, it subjects it citizens to unlawful searches, subjects the general travelling public to x-rays, and sexually assaults citizens.
The government are disregarding the constitution, all in the name of security.

Sadly it is all "security theatre".

Would I move there, NO.
Is the USA free? It does not look like it.

(Please don't forget to read my signature line)
Sexual assault, really? A patdown at the airport is sexual assault? Maybe you need to suffer a real sexual assault so you can make that comparison more accurately.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
I doubt they will actually do any such thing. For one thing, requiring Canadians to get a visa to visit the US does not stop non-Canadians from going through Canada into the US, and allegedly this is what worries them. Not actual Canadians wandering south of the border, but non-Canadians waltzing across all that un-manned border after entry to Canada. I do not think Canadian standards for Immigration are all that much less restrictive than US standards for visitors. For permanent residents, yes. But not your average visitor.

For another thing, as members of G8, I doubt the US wants to start treating Canada's citizens the way it does the citizens of some other countries (read: "Third World" countries). Canada isn't Mexico, if its citizens are required to get visas to go into the US, they aren't going to start sneaking across the border in droves, or marrying US citizens to get GCs etc etc. They are going to take their Canadian passports and their lovely money and go elsewhere. As my husband frequently tells me, there are few countries in this world he cannot get into purely on the basis of holding a Canadian passport. If the US wants to subtract itself from that number, Canadians will likely tell them, "Go right ahead, see how that works out for ya!"

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
ocu_canadian said:
love_Young

I am with you 100% as a Canadian that went to the US on a scholarship to study I have seen this alot. However, it is not only the border guards this effects, this attitude reflects and transfers over to your average US citizen. Let's face it the average US citizen lives everyday life in paranoia. They think they are all high and mighty and stick their nose into everybody else's business but then can't figure out why their country is not well liked across the globe. I am not speaking about all Americans so no one get defensive with me here. I have an American wife, in laws, and friends and alot of them are not like this but I have seen those who are while in class, at practice, etc and it is really disgusting
I completely agree with you. And no we are not all like that but thank goodness we all aren't. But our country has taught us to grow up in fear, be judgemental based on religion, color, sex etc., and believe everything told on the news. Everything our country was intended to be based has turned into fraud in itself. We portray such innocence when really we are the ones to blame. So many Americans need to step out for a while and stop going by what you are told to believe or do. Be your own life. Go see the world for what it really is and then form opinions where necessary. If us Americans don't do that, I can see things falling apart very quickly.

P.S. I hope no one takes offense to what I have mentioned above. If you do, I am very sorry and hope you accept the apology. It is not my intention to ever offend anyone on purpose.

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
JimM said:
Sexual assault, really? A patdown at the airport is sexual assault? Maybe you need to suffer a real sexual assault so you can make that comparison more accurately.
I am sure they aren't just referencing to airport patdown's. There have been actual sexual assaults by officers before and I am certain it wasn't just a patdown. Now I am positive this is a rare occasion but it isn't none existant either. That doesn't give you the right to tell someone though they should suffer a real sexual assault based on an opinion that you may not agree with though.

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
CharlieD10 said:
I doubt they will actually do any such thing. For one thing, requiring Canadians to get a visa to visit the US does not stop non-Canadians from going through Canada into the US, and allegedly this is what worries them. Not actual Canadians wandering south of the border, but non-Canadians waltzing across all that un-manned border after entry to Canada. I do not think Canadian standards for Immigration are all that much less restrictive than US standards for visitors. For permanent residents, yes. But not your average visitor.

For another thing, as members of G8, I doubt the US wants to start treating Canada's citizens the way it does the citizens of some other countries (read: "Third World" countries). Canada isn't Mexico, if its citizens are required to get visas to go into the US, they aren't going to start sneaking across the border in droves, or marrying US citizens to get GCs etc etc. They are going to take their Canadian passports and their lovely money and go elsewhere. As my husband frequently tells me, there are few countries in this world he cannot get into purely on the basis of holding a Canadian passport. If the US wants to subtract itself from that number, Canadians will likely tell them, "Go right ahead, see how that works out for ya!"
Well I have more faith that this idea won't pull through. Realistically it shouldn't happen but I just wanted to post the article to see how others may feel if such a thing were to actually happen. But I believe even if they did pull through with it, I can't see it being very successful or lasting long. I guess though the idea of my husband having more trouble than he already does crossing the border just struck a nerve. Lol. Must be one of those PO'd days with everything border/immigration related. Tell me I am not the only one? :-[

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JimM said:
Actually it is a sexual assault, when a "pat down" becomes touching other peoples genitalia I know they have gone to far.

BTW "pat down" is no longer in use in the USA.

JimM

Sep 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2012
Love_Young said:
I am sure they aren't just referencing to airport patdown's. There have been actual sexual assaults by officers before and I am certain it wasn't just a patdown. Now I am positive this is a rare occasion but it isn't none existant either. That doesn't give you the right to tell someone though they should suffer a real sexual assault based on an opinion that you may not agree with though.
If he's talking a rouge officer committing rape you can't blame the government for that, all proffesions have criminals in them. I have seen entirely too many idiots equate the new airport patdowns with rape and sexual assault. It's a stupid overreaction and diminishes what actual victims of those crimes went through.