confirmed 18-6-2011
File Transfer...
01-03-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-07-2011
Hello,

My husband is working in Canada, and me and my young children are looking to join him (We live in the Southwest of the United States). I have filled in the outland permanent residence paperwork and was going to send it in...and then in the next 2 months to join him in Canada (just passing the border with a passport). However, I consulted an online attorney, and they said that if I do that the immigration officials at the border might not let me into the country (I will need to quit my job and perhaps sell our house to join him, so I won't have evidence of ties to the US). Is there another way to come into the country in less than the 6-9 months required for outland submission. We have already been separated 4 months which has really put a strain on our marriage (The reason for the delay in application is a long story)

First, is the above true. If I apply for residency outland while in the US will they not let me pass into Canada.
Second, is it possible for my to apply for outland residency while I am in Canada, visiting on my passport.
Finally, is getting a temporary visitor's visa an option. Can I get one for 6 months with the reasoning of visiting my husband..or would you have any other suggestions.

Thank you so much.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Even if you apply outland, you may still visit Canada but only visit, not move. You can not arrive with all your stuff in a u-haul or you will very likely be denied entry.

You can also visit Canada first and apply outland after you have arrived.

If you come in on your passport, you automatically get 6 months. You can apply to extend your visit status to stay longer.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Just to add...

No one here can guarantee what will happen at the border if you enter with a US passport (i.e. if you'll be allowed in for six months, for a shorter period or not at all). As Leon has indicated, showing up with a UHAUL and/or lots of luggage will significantly increase your chances of being denied entry. However even if you don't do this, there's still no guarantee what will happen. This is because this decision is made at the border by officials when you arrive.

My husband entered Canada many many times without any problems (although his Nexus pass surely helped). And there are many others here who've been able to do the same. But there's also a small minority who've run into problems. It's a bit of a dice roll which certainly adds to the stress!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, that is true, they can stop you at the border or let you in for whatever amount of time they specify but usually it's 6 months if they are not suspicious of your intentions.

If you were let in for 3 months for example and file for sponsorship during that time, you can apply to extend your visit status based on having a sponsorship application going. Once you are in Canada waiting for sponsorship, they usually don't refuse to extend your visitor status.

Salsalvr

Jan 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-02-2011
AOR Received.
confirmed 18-6-2011
File Transfer...
01-03-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-07-2011
If myself and my children end up flying into Canada from say Washington (after driving up with my husband), will the process be any different. I looked at my passport and all I see are the stamps of the times when I flew in to Canada (and to tell you the truth sometimes they didn't even stamp the passport)...so there was no time limit assigned. Does that mean that a maximum 6 month visit is implied. How do I know how much time they are giving me? Also, is there a way to extend my stay even if I have come over using a passport and not a visa.

For logistical reasons of getting in, should I tell them that I am coming to visit for a couple of months or just briefly. Should I try to have some proof of ties to the US with me (I have my parent's home) and possibly my child's preschool records I can use.

Has anyone on this forum tried coming into the country and then applying outland (I can do this right) and did it work out ?

Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Carry as much information as possible that ties you to the US (mortgage, rental agreement, pay stubs, etc.).

The six months is implied for those traveling on the US passport. If you are given a different length of time for your visit, then you will find out and will be told at the border (plus this will be written into your passport).

Applying outland from within the country certainly works. This is how my husband and I submitted his application and he's now landed. (There are many others on this forum who have done the same.)