+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how to proof we are common in law ?

jasline

Sep 11, 2009
Hi all,

Am new here, my bf is currently processing his canada student visa, and i wish to follow his as a common in law, and i do not know how, should i wait he go 1st then only i can appy ? or can apply together with him ? how to proof we are common in law ? can i work in canada ? and since he is student i don't think he can affort my living cost, unless i can work there.

I need yours advise, Thanks !

jas

mrsmyle

Apr 1, 2009
I believe only permanent residents and citizens can sponsor. If he is going to Canada as a student, not sure how he will sponsor you

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This isn't a sponsorship. Student visa's will often allow for spouses/common law partners to accompany their spouses to Canada while they are studying and will allow open work permits to the spouse.

First question is did your partner name you in his application for a student visa as an accompanying spouse/partner?

jasline

Sep 11, 2009
Hi,

He haven't submit the application yet, but going to submit soon, so he should indicate my name in the form right ? and what if am not follow him now, but will join him later, as it's too rush for me now.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It shouldn't be a problem to follow him later. If they give you a visa, it will have an expiry date on it and you must travel to Canada before that date. Make sure you are able to prove you meet the criteria of a common-law spouse (living together for at least 1 year). Yes, if he wants you to go with him or follow him later, he MUST include your name on the form.

jasline

Sep 11, 2009
rjessome said:
It shouldn't be a problem to follow him later. If they give you a visa, it will have an expiry date on it and you must travel to Canada before that date. Make sure you are able to prove you meet the criteria of a common-law spouse (living together for at least 1 year). Yes, if he wants you to go with him or follow him later, he MUST include your name on the form.

Rjessome,

Thank you so much for your answer, by the way what is open working permit ? does it mean i can work and then resign in any company without informing immigration ? and can my bf and i get married in Canada while his is studying there ?

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You're welcome.

Yes, an open work permit means you can work for whomever you want, whenever you want. So this is important. If you are granted a visa to accompany your partner, remember to apply for the open work permit at the port of entry. TELL THEM when you arrive that you want to apply for an open work permit. They can issue it at the port of entry. Otherwise, you will have to apply to Vegreville and it will take up to 3 months to get it.

If you want to get married, you have to obtain a marriage license in whatever province you are residing. Each one has different rules. It shouldn't be a problem assuming you can give them what they need. You can research the Department of Vital Statistics for the province where you will be living and their website should tell you what you need. You also might want to check out what your own country requires to recognize a marriage done in a foreign country. I know some countries are picky about this.

Good luck.