+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to Get Canadian Driving License -for Newcomers

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
1. If we have over 24 months 'overseas' driving experience -we get the Ontario G2 Driving License.
2. If we have over 12 months [but less than 24] driving experience -we get the Ontario G1 Driving License.
Actually, if you have 24 months or more experience, you get to take the G2 road test and get the G license and if you have between 12 and 24 months, you get to take the G1 road test and get the G2 license. You can read about this at http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/gradu/index.shtml

If you have no experience or don't even have a license at all, you can take the written exam and get a G1 license immediately if you pass.

It is very similar in Alberta but they make it a bit simpler there by calling the G1 license a learners license which it actually is because it is meant for people who are learning how to drive. That is why you must always drive with another person who has a full license if you have a G1 or learners. In Alberta, the G2 license would be called a GDL license (graduated drivers license) and is a probationary license where you lose your license at less demerit points than a normal license and also have to maintain a zero alcohol level. The same also goes for the G2.

binny8

Jan 5, 2010
Thanx pm,

I am not thinking to take both the extract letter and international DL,
International DL costs Rs 500/-. dont know about the extract letter.

Its better not to take any chances.

dsr08

Sep 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June2009
AOR Received.
July2009
Med's Request
15-Dec-2009
Med's Done....
25-Dec-2009
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
15-Dec-2009
VISA ISSUED...
25-02-2010
LANDED..........
-
Dear friends
My driving License was issued in Punjab (India) in the year 1992. It is being renewed in Haryana from the year 1997 to till date. So I requested (through agent) for the Letter of Authenticity to the Licensing Authority in Haryana (present residence). I got the following letter on Letter Pad.

“Returned in original with remarks that Driving License No. xxx, in the name of xxx son of xxx R/o xxx (city), Haryana (India) and authorized for driving of M/cycle, Scooter, Car, Jeep only and valid upto xxx (date) as per licensing Authority Record.”

Office staff refused to enter date of issue of license and place of issue, complete address or any thing else. For anything else I was advised to approach the issuing Licensing Authority in Punjab.

Is this letter along with Original License (Old copy type giving details of issue and renewals) is sufficient for experience more than 24 months?
Should I approach the issuing Licensing Authority in Punjab which I feel will write validity upto 1997 (as per their record)?
Any one faced such situation and got better letter than this, may kindly give contents of letter so that I can take up the issue directly with Licensing Authority.

birdtocanada

Star Member
Sep 8, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi
Qarax
How are u? I am planning to land in July are you there in Ca already?
about the letter of authenitication regarding driving license what do you mean by that and where do we get this letter
I have driving license from both India and Qatar,which license do you think I must submit for getting a driving license in canada
thanks

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
birdtocanada said:
Hi
Qarax
How are u? I am planning to land in July are you there in Ca already?
about the letter of authenitication regarding driving license what do you mean by that and where do we get this letter
I have driving license from both India and Qatar,which license do you think I must submit for getting a driving license in canada
thanks
Both, if valid, r Ok... u need either of them.

However, the Qatari one is advisable... due to similar driving conditions. That letter u can get from your RTA main office. In Dubai it is a 10 mins job. The document is already in their system.

QORAX

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
dsr08 said:
Dear friends
My driving License was issued in Punjab (India) in the year 1992. It is being renewed in Haryana from the year 1997 to till date. So I requested (through agent) for the Letter of Authenticity to the Licensing Authority in Haryana (present residence). I got the following letter on Letter Pad.

“Returned in original with remarks that Driving License No. xxx, in the name of xxx son of xxx R/o xxx (city), Haryana (India) and authorized for driving of M/cycle, Scooter, Car, Jeep only and valid upto xxx (date) as per licensing Authority Record.”

Office staff refused to enter date of issue of license and place of issue, complete address or any thing else. For anything else I was advised to approach the issuing Licensing Authority in Punjab.

Is this letter along with Original License (Old copy type giving details of issue and renewals) is sufficient for experience more than 24 months?
Should I approach the issuing Licensing Authority in Punjab which I feel will write validity upto 1997 (as per their record)?
Any one faced such situation and got better letter than this, may kindly give contents of letter so that I can take up the issue directly with Licensing Authority.
That letter... the 'Letter of Authenticity', actually does 2 tasks:

1. It's a full description of your DL. Date of issue/expiry, class of vehicle etc.
2. It gives-out a "No Violation" report.

If your country do not provide the point-2, it still might be Ok. But for point-1, all details of your DL would be needed. Alternatively, apply for an IDP/IDL -that'd solve your probs.

QORAX

maran1976

Feb 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14 April 2010
AOR Received.
26 Nov 2010 (2nd Aor Date)
Med's Request
28-02-2013
Med's Done....
6th March 2013
Interview........
hopefully waived
Passport Req..
Recvd by CHC Mar 13th
excellent information.
i have held a full UK license for over 6 years now, without any points.
so, i can go for a stright swap !

B

buddhadimple

BC's Graduated License Program:

L (Learner) License: Achieved after written exam. Must achieve 80% on exam. This license entitles you to learn to drive on the road. You must have a Class 5 license holder over the age of 25 with you at all times. You can drive from 5am until midnight, anywhere. You must have zero alcohol in your bloodstream at all times. You can drive a car or truck up to 1 tonne. You must have this license for a period of 12 months.

N (Novice/New Driver) License: Achieved after a practical road test. You can now drive alone; however, you may only have one passenger unless they are immediate family members or if you have a Class 5 driver over the age of 25 also in the car with you. You can drive anywhere, any time of day or night. You must have zero alcohol in your bloodstream at all times. You can drive a car or truck up to 1 tonne. You must have this license for a period of 24 months.

Class 5 (full) License: Achieved after another practical road test. You can now drive with more than one passenger, whether related to you or not. You can drive a car or truck up to 1 tonne. You can drive under the legal limit of alcohol in your bloodstream. You can drive anywhere, any time of day or night.

***BC does not differentiate between manual/standard and automatic transmission licenses. If you pass your road test in an automatic, you can still drive a manual/standard transmission vehicle.

birdtocanada

Star Member
Sep 8, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Qarax
I was told that they will cancel the qatari license if i apply with the letter from Qatar traffic dept. Is that true?
becos I need to come back to Qatar

thanks

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
birdtocanada said:
Hi Qarax
I was told that they will cancel the qatari license if i apply with the letter from Qatar traffic dept. Is that true?
becos I need to come back to Qatar

thanks
NOT TRUE. I'm still holding my Dubai License. This letter is not 'against' your D/License... it is for use "of driving a car in a foreign land, while on visit/holiday" -that's what u should say if they ask. But, they won't, as all know the requirement of this letter. And we take this everytime we go abroad from the Gulf.

Qorax

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Getting a letter may not get your foreign license cancelled but authorities in Canada my take your foreign license away when they give you a Canadian one because they don't want you to have two. I know of people having been able to keep theirs but it depends on the person you are dealing with. Then depending on the rules in your old country, it could be very easy for you to get your old country license issued again when you go back to visit.

samrupl

Mar 2, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
can anyone please upload the format of driving experience authentication letter please