FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
How to obtain Ontario Driving License
with our Home Country's D/License

Dear all,

Let me address another query which getting repetitive here. The procedure of obtaining a Canadian driving license is pretty much simple within our 1st few days [max a week]. Remember, this is 'easy' if we are coming from countries which has a similar driving & road management conditions [read 'left-hand drive']. If not, we may have to undertake some training before we apply.
Pre-conditions / Which License:
1. If we have over 24 months 'overseas' driving experience -we get the Ontario G2 Driving License.
2. If we have over 12 months [but less than 24] driving experience -we get the Ontario G1 Driving License.
(Details below)

Direct Swap of Licenses:
If our home country doesn't have a *reciprocal licence exchange agreement with Ontario, we cannot Swap our current D/License to get a Toronto-ON D/License.
*Reciprocal License Exchange Agreement exists between Ontario and: US, Japan, Korea, Switzerland, Germany, France, UK, Austria & Belgium.

What is the Procedure then:
But, in that case do we have to START all over Again? No... We can immediately apply & get a Toronto (Ontario) Driving License thru the following procedure:

Step-1 -Before we 'Land':
1. We must obtain a 'Letter of Authentication'* from the country's Roads & Transport Authority, explaining** our D/License.
2. Take also a 'True Translation Copy'* of our D/License from Road & Transport Authority. Both 1 & 2 maybe clubbed in one.
3. Obtain an International Driving License/Permit*** (IDL / IDP).
stating "more than 24 months" driving experience in our country.
*In English or French, the 2 Canadian Official Languages.
**The explanation should include 24 or 12 months driving experience [the Pre-conditions will apply].
***This is nothing but a translated copy of our present D/license. (it can be used in lieu of point-1 & 2 above).

Benefits of the IDL / IDP:
With the foregoing, we can drive a car abroad for three [3] months (2 months, in Ontario). Within that time apply for the Ontario Driving License. This International Driving Licenses [IDL/IDP]are issued against our original D/Licenses by the Automobile Associations or [sometimes] the RTA/RTO of our home country. Check them for more details.

Step-2 -After you 'Land':
In such cases we are called 'Out of Country Drivers' and we can skip the G2 'waiting period' and get the G2 license immediately [with that 24 months letter] or a G1 driving license [if we only have the above 12 months letter].

Now for the Ontario driver's licence are required to;
1. Present a valid foreign Driver's License*,
2. Provide an acceptable Proof of Identity [SIN, PR card etc.]
3. Pay all applicable Fees,
4. Pass a Vision Test
5. Pass the Written Knowledge Test -regarding Ontario's traffic rules.
*If it is not in English or French, it is to be accompanied by a written translation from a qualified translator; [we got that, as the Authentication Letter]

Note: Applicants are required to provide adequate proof of foreign driving experience. However, if it is not there, the ministry will accept applicants' declaration of their foreign driving experience on the driver's licence application for up to a maximum of 12 months experience. In that case we get the G1* license only.

Step-3 -The Tests to take:
Based on the 24 months Authentication Letter the ministry will recognize the applicant's foreign driving experience as certified on the authentication letter AND,

1. After Step-2, we can attempt the G2*Exit Road Tests (mandatory wait times are waived).
2. Upon successfully passing the G2* Exit Road Test, we get the G2* license.
3. After few months of driving under G2* we can apply for a G*Licence.
4. If we 'only' have the 12 months letter & not the 24, we qualify for G1* Road Test & the G1* driving license only.
5. If we don't provide any letter, we must pass the G1* road test and have a 12-month wait period for taking G2* road test.

*The License Grading Explained [G1, G2 & G]:
-G1 License has certain limitations like we have to always drive alongwith a G license holder. It is thus, useless for us, who have good & adequate driving experience under similar driving conditions & system as that of Canada [read 'left-hand drive' experience & similar road/traffic management conditions].
-G2 License is as good as G, except that we cannot drive on the Highway at certain times (Midnight Rush Hrs. when truck movement starts).
-G License is the 'full fledged' driving license.
Source:
http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/OutOfCountryDrivers.aspx

Note:
1. The above procedure is mainly addressed for the Ontario (ON) province.
2. The procedure is pretty much similar with all other provinces as well [BC, NS, NB etc.].
3. If we are not coming from a similar driving condition country, we must take some training before we proceed.
4. Usually we can get the G2 driving license quite easily [with the foregoing steps].

Hope that helped...
Qorax

penpal

Sep 30, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
0111/1111
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Planning in Autumn of 2010
Hi Qorax,

If the driving licence is in English,(as it is with Indian driving licenses),do we still need a translation.I hope i am not missing out on something basic, here,by putting forth this question.Pls confirm.

Thanks

RPN

Star Member
Feb 13, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
June 2010
Really Qorax you are great.

Its really help us to sort out the things.

Thanks for the post.

Regards,

RPN

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
penpal said:
Hi Qorax,

If the driving licence is in English,(as it is with Indian driving licenses),do we still need a translation.I hope i am not missing out on something basic, here,by putting forth this question.Pls confirm.

Thanks
See this way... that "letter of authentication" serves twin purposes:
1. Translates the info/details on the license in English;
2. Explains the Driving Period, Violations if any etc.

If not for the translation, u'll yet need it for the 'driving period' -for the 12 or 24 months requirement. Nonetheless, if it's already in English -for sure u do not need its translation.

Qorax

binny8

Jan 5, 2010
I went to the RTO office, no one there has heard about the "Letter of Authentication", they suggested me to take International license instead.

Has anyone got this letter from delhi,if yes whats the procedure,format and cost of this letter...

Thanx..

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Sorry Binny,

I've no clue about that in India. But most RTAs should provide that... here [in Dubai] we go to the RTA main office.
-It costs AED 60/-
-and is called "Lesson Bayanat".
-Time to obtain it: 10 minutes.
-Docs required: Original D/license.

Hope some ND member replies to your call.
QORAX

saki

VIP Member
Apr 7, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Let me add one more country which is Australia, if you have a Australian license you can get the Ontario license straightaway, this is a new agreement recently came out.

Regards
Saki

omm

Champion Member
Aug 27, 2009
USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
After landing in Canada, Can I Present my current USA Valid Texas DL to Drive on my initial days stay upto not getting Canadian DL, I have Texas DL since 3years, in step 2 when we landing then we dont have SIN, PR card etc shall we present our visa stamps copy.... Bcause I willsure that I need to drive on my second day whenI will land in Canada.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
saki said:
Let me add one more country which is Australia, if you have a Australian license you can get the Ontario license straightaway, this is a new agreement recently came out.

Regards
Saki
Thanx for the update, Saki.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
omm said:
After landing in Canada, Can I Present my current USA Valid Texas DL to Drive on my initial days stay upto not getting Canadian DL, I have Texas DL since 3years, in step 2 when we landing then we dont have SIN, PR card etc shall we present our visa stamps copy.... Bcause I willsure that I need to drive on my second day whenI will land in Canada.
US D/license is valid in Canada for 2-3 months [ditto as an International D/License].

Source: Read the sub-para on "Traffic & safety..."
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1082.html

QORAX

googleman

Star Member
Mar 24, 2010
omm said:
US residents, try to get a copy of your driving record from your state's DMV before moving to Canada. You need that to exchange your US driver's license for a Canadian one. Some states don't release your driving records without a written request. So get them while in the US as it may take weeks or even more than a month to get them in Canada.

PM48633

Star Member
Nov 6, 2009
Hi binny8,

In Mumbai you can get the licence letter.
You need to go to RTO Andheri W and catch hold of any agent or through any motor training school in your area the letter is called Licence extract.
All it says is that the licence is issued to --- from ---date to --- date and it mentions that there is no traffic violations found on our record.
This is the only letter that they issue hence I think this should suffice as it has the details of our licence and the start date and the end date and that no offences are found. it does not talk of any driving experience which they do not give in Mumbai.

Regards,
Pm48633