waived
Passport Req..
30-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
24-10-2011
LANDED..........
21-01-2012
Leon said:
Yes, you can still get a Canadian drivers license. Automatic transmission is very easy. There is no clutch, just gas and brakes. The shift is P for Park, D for drive, R for reverse and N for neutral. However, if you don't want to drive one, just get a manual shift car.
Ohh..i see. What if they'll ask me if I drive car with automatic transmission? What will I say? Or ask me to drive an automatic? Should I be honest instead? :)

giogenre

Aug 11, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
charkei said:
Guys, I don't know how to drive in an automatic transmission. I haven't tried one either. I only drive manual. Can I still acquire a Canadian drivers license?
If you already knew how to drive manual shift, it is easy to drive the automatic but not vice-versa (automatic to manual).

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
charkei said:
Ohh..i see. What if they'll ask me if I drive car with automatic transmission? What will I say? Or ask me to drive an automatic? Should I be honest instead? :)
Nobody will ask you to drive any car. If you must take a driving exam, you have to bring your own car so you should just buy a used manual shift car before you take the exam and then that is what you will be driving.

If you really want to practice an automatic, buy an automatic before you take the test or rent one.

dnyfyn

Aug 31, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Colombo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-2016
Doc's Request.
08-2016
Med's Request
08-2016
Med's Done....
08-2016
thank you very much

charkei

Star Member
Oct 9, 2011
Dipolog City
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-12-2010
AOR Received.
08-03-2011
File Transfer...
30-03-2011
Med's Request
07-07-2011
Med's Done....
27-07-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
30-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
24-10-2011
LANDED..........
21-01-2012
Leon said:
Nobody will ask you to drive any car. If you must take a driving exam, you have to bring your own car so you should just buy a used manual shift car before you take the exam and then that is what you will be driving.

If you really want to practice an automatic, buy an automatic before you take the test or rent one.
thanks guys! Do you have idea how much per day in renting a car?

Appan

Jun 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Grace of God
charkei said:
link will help u much..

http://www.discountcar.com/reservation.step1.cfm

appan

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
charkei said:
You could Google "car rental companies" with the name of the city/town that you want to rent from.

SFD

Feb 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
charkei said:
  • Go to hotwire.com, enter the city where you want to rent.

Enterprise has weekend deals.

Also, you can create an alert e-mail by registering to their website. I have gotten excellent deals. (CAD$15.00 per day). Make sure you add Damage Insurance to your contract unless you want to take the risk..

So you can have an idea, it usually runs anywhere from 29.00 to 45.00 pero day + taxes

SFD

nurse_angel

Star Member
Aug 15, 2011
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila V.O.
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
Feb. 2011
File Transfer...
Feb 2011
Med's Request
April 2011
Med's Done....
May 2011
Passport Req..
June 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Aug 2011
qorax said:
For Ontario, the ApnaToronto site'd help too... click below:
http://www.apnatoronto.com/ontario-g1-test/

Practice the 5 set of tests there & u'd have 99% guarantee of passing the G1 written.

Qorax
Thank you Qorax! 8)

deba_avik

Champion Member
Jun 12, 2011
Dhaka
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-02-2010
Doc's Request.
07-04-2010
AOR Received.
29-07-2010 (2nd AOR)
File Transfer...
14-04-2010
Med's Request
In Process since March 05, 2012
Med's Done....
Waiting
Very good one, captain....+1

vermas

Champion Member
Jan 12, 2010
NOC Code......
NA
App. Filed.......
eAPR/AOR 13-08-2018
May I request a forumer from DELHI/INDIA who has recently moved from Delhi to Ontario to share steps/processes undertaken right from obtaining Intl Driving License and Authentication letter in Delhi to getting license in Ontario.

Thank you in advance for your guidance.

vermas

vermas

Champion Member
Jan 12, 2010
NOC Code......
NA
App. Filed.......
eAPR/AOR 13-08-2018
1. We must obtain a 'Letter of Authentication What is it called in Delhi/India to approach Transport Department?
Thanks,

qorax said:
How to obtain Ontario Driving License
with our Home Country's D/License

Dear all,

Let me address another query which getting repetitive here. The procedure of obtaining a Canadian driving license is pretty much simple within our 1st few days [max a week]. Remember, this is 'easy' if we are coming from countries which has a similar driving & road management conditions [read 'left-hand drive']. If not, we may have to undertake some training before we apply.
Pre-conditions / Which License:
1. If we have over 24 months 'overseas' driving experience -we get the Ontario G2 Driving License.
2. If we have over 12 months [but less than 24] driving experience -we get the Ontario G1 Driving License.
(Details below)

Direct Swap of Licenses:
If our home country doesn't have a *reciprocal licence exchange agreement with Ontario, we cannot Swap our current D/License to get a Toronto-ON D/License.
*Reciprocal License Exchange Agreement exists between Ontario and: US, Japan, Korea, Switzerland, Germany, France, UK, Austria & Belgium.

What is the Procedure then:
But, in that case do we have to START all over Again? No... We can immediately apply & get a Toronto (Ontario) Driving License thru the following procedure:

Step-1 -Before we 'Land':
1. We must obtain a 'Letter of Authentication'* from the country's Roads & Transport Authority, explaining** our D/License.
2. Take also a 'True Translation Copy'* of our D/License from Road & Transport Authority. Both 1 & 2 maybe clubbed in one.
3. Obtain an International Driving License/Permit*** (IDL / IDP).
stating "more than 24 months" driving experience in our country.
*In English or French, the 2 Canadian Official Languages.
**The explanation should include 24 or 12 months driving experience [the Pre-conditions will apply].
***This is nothing but a translated copy of our present D/license. (it can be used in lieu of point-1 & 2 above).

Benefits of the IDL / IDP:
With the foregoing, we can drive a car abroad for three [3] months (2 months, in Ontario). Within that time apply for the Ontario Driving License. This International Driving Licenses [IDL/IDP]are issued against our original D/Licenses by the Automobile Associations or [sometimes] the RTA/RTO of our home country. Check them for more details.

Step-2 -After you 'Land':
In such cases we are called 'Out of Country Drivers' and we can skip the G2 'waiting period' and get the G2 license immediately [with that 24 months letter] or a G1 driving license [if we only have the above 12 months letter].

Now for the Ontario driver's licence are required to;
1. Present a valid foreign Driver's License*,
2. Provide an acceptable Proof of Identity [SIN, PR card etc.]
3. Pay all applicable Fees,
4. Pass a Vision Test
5. Pass the Written Knowledge Test -regarding Ontario's traffic rules.
*If it is not in English or French, it is to be accompanied by a written translation from a qualified translator; [we got that, as the Authentication Letter]

Note: Applicants are required to provide adequate proof of foreign driving experience. However, if it is not there, the ministry will accept applicants' declaration of their foreign driving experience on the driver's licence application for up to a maximum of 12 months experience. In that case we get the G1* license only.

Step-3 -The Tests to take:
Based on the 24 months Authentication Letter the ministry will recognize the applicant's foreign driving experience as certified on the authentication letter AND,

1. After Step-2, we can attempt the G2*Exit Road Tests (mandatory wait times are waived).
2. Upon successfully passing the G2* Exit Road Test, we get the G2* license.
3. After few months of driving under G2* we can apply for a G*Licence.
4. If we 'only' have the 12 months letter & not the 24, we qualify for G1* Road Test & the G1* driving license only.
5. If we don't provide any letter, we must pass the G1* road test and have a 12-month wait period for taking G2* road test.

*The License Grading Explained [G1, G2 & G]:
-G1 License has certain limitations like we have to always drive alongwith a G license holder. It is thus, useless for us, who have good & adequate driving experience under similar driving conditions & system as that of Canada [read 'left-hand drive' experience & similar road/traffic management conditions].
-G2 License is as good as G, except that we cannot drive on the Highway at certain times (Midnight Rush Hrs. when truck movement starts).
-G License is the 'full fledged' driving license.
Source:
http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/OutOfCountryDrivers.aspx

Note:
1. The above procedure is mainly addressed for the Ontario (ON) province.
2. The procedure is pretty much similar with all other provinces as well [BC, NS, NB etc.].
3. If we are not coming from a similar driving condition country, we must take some training before we proceed.
4. Usually we can get the G2 driving license quite easily [with the foregoing steps].

Hope that helped...
Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
vermas said:
1. We must obtain a 'Letter of Authentication What is it called in Delhi/India to approach Transport Department?
Thanks,
Not sure in the Indian context... but it's a Driver's Extract, in the US, Europe & Middle East. Should be similar in the Indian sub-continent.