+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to enter Canada and claim asylum thereafter?

jeo_politic

Oct 9, 2016
What a relief! I didn't know we can apply for a visitor visa online. I thought I have to travel to the nearest embassy in person. By the way, I took the online eligibility quiz and I got this message "Based on your answers, you may be eligible to come to Canada as a visitor." After taking the the quiz under the section "supporting documents":

Supporting Documents
Passport Instructions
Proof of Financial Resource of Supporter Instructions
Proof of Means of Financial Support Instructions
Digital photo Instructions
Proof of medical exam Instructions
Purpose of Travel - Other Instructions
Family Information (IMM5645) (Opens a new window)

Temporary Residents

"If you are visiting Canada, you must prove that you can support yourself and the family members who will be with you while you are in Canada. Provide as many of these documents as you can:

your bank statements for the past four months
a bank draft in convertible currency
pay stubs
an employment letter
proof of assets or business
proof of payment of tuition and accommodation fees
tax reports, declarations or statements
proof of a student/education loan from a financial institution
a letter from the person or institution providing you with money
proof of funding paid from within Canada, if you have a scholarship or are in a Canadian-funded educational program
proof of a Canadian bank account in your name if money has been transferred to Canada"

As I said, I'll be providing a letter from my college as an active student and a letter from my scholarship that they're buying my tuition. In addition to that, I'll also provide the bank statement that I can fund my travel for 2 weeks in Canada. Here it says: "your bank statements for the past four months" is it a prerequisite or voluntary? I don't have bank statements for the past four months! I worked in my dad's business since 2014 as part-time job, but I thought this won't matter. I'll enclose my employment contract in the online application anyway. I own a car and I'll present it as a proof of assets.

Document: Purpose of Travel - Other

You must submit proof that you are coming to Canada for a temporary visit.

Examples of what you can provide as proof:

A scanned copy of:

Your flight ticket departing Canada,
Your travel itinerary (e.g. places you will visit or stay, such as hotel booking),
Proof of a medical appointment.

You must submit proof that you are coming to Canada for a temporary visit.

Examples of what you can provide as proof:

A scanned copy of:

Your flight ticket departing Canada,
Your travel itinerary (e.g. places you will visit or stay, such as hotel booking),
Proof of a medical appointment.
I need a visa before booking for a flight, otherwise if I got my ticket and I was refused for the visa, I'll probably lose my money? But I'll book for hotel technically and if this is sufficient I'll provide it. Regarding the places, how should I prove that? Writing a letter documenting my travel plan for instance?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You don't obtain a visa by going to an embassy in person. It's either online or mailed. You need to spend more time on the CIC web site. This is very basic information that is incredibly easy to find.

You can show you planned itinerary/flight if your visa is approved. Don't buy the ticket until/unless the visa is approved. Yes - you can provide a written description of what you plan to do when visiting.

The four month bank statement is strongly recommended. You can apply without that but this increases your chances of refusal.

Pretty much everyone gets the "you may be eligible to come to Canada as a visitor" message (unless they have a criminal conviction or something like that). So unfortunately that doesn't mean anything or hold any importance - and isn't in any way an indicator of whether your application will be approved or refused.

Good luck.

jeo_politic

Oct 9, 2016
I actually spent hours reading CIC. I'm very much nervous to apply, I fear I'll be refused for the bank statement very strongly.

Let's finalize everything, to minimize being refused I'll prove:

1) I have C$3k in my saving account
2) My visit will last for one week only
3) Letter from college (active student)
5) Plan of the visit (where will I go?, what will I do?, etc...)
4) Other ownership proofs (car)

*I said initially I'll prove C$20k, but I can't afford that amount in cash for now. I'll provide C$3k as a proof of fund for the visitor visa which will last for 1 week only. Do you think C$3k for one week will convince them?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
$3K is on the low end given you also have to pay for a flight.

I think your bigger issue is that your proof of ties to your home country are quite weak. If you have never traveled to countries requiring visas (e.g. US, UK) then I would say the odds of being approved are unfortunately on the low side.

However you can certainly try and see what happens.

jeo_politic

Oct 9, 2016
I meant C$3K excluding the price of the flight, I'll surely add to that amount the price of the flight which means in total C$5K. I can prove my ties to my country, but I can't prove that I have enough fund. I'm just trying to send my bank statement with a decent amount, but I can't figure that amount out. I'll try with at least C$5K, I just hope I'll get approved.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your funds may be enough or they may not be.

I think you are underestimating what it takes to prove ties to your home country. What do you have beyond your school enrollment and car ownership?

jeo_politic

Oct 9, 2016
I have employment contract. But I'm also taking care of the fund. It's really a devastating process and I'm psychologically affected by this. I can absolutely prove myself to be a legit refugee and I have no doubts about that, no doubts. I know exactly the legal procedures for asylum, all the complicated things. Only one thing, I don't have the required fund to prove and I seem to fade away because of this. It's really a painful battle, a battle of uncertain future. I keep trying, testing, calling, but I know I'm helpless. When you're in the middle of the ocean, keep swimming and you'll see your fate. Hard to get out and to stay is to die. :(

CaroM8

Feb 26, 2015
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico City
App. Filed.......
26/09/2016
AOR Received.
20/10/2016 - SA:25/10/2016 - AOR2: 22/12/16
File Transfer...
25/10/2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
11-10-2017
LANDED..........
14-11-2017
jeo_politic said:
I have employment contract. But I'm also taking care of the fund. It's really a devastating process and I'm psychologically affected by this. I can absolutely prove myself to be a legit refugee and I have no doubts about that, no doubts. I know exactly the legal procedures for asylum, all the complicated things. Only one thing, I don't have the required fund to prove and I seem to fade away because of this. It's really a painful battle, a battle of uncertain future. I keep trying, testing, calling, but I know I'm helpless. When you're in the middle of the ocean, keep swimming and you'll see your fate. Hard to get out and to stay is to die. :(
I'm sorry you are going through this. I can't imagine being in a situation like that.

If you really want to leave your current location, is there another country you can go to, besides Canada, that might be easier to immigrate to? Maybe there are other options for you.. Keep your head up! :)

jeo_politic

Oct 9, 2016
CaroM8 said:
I'm sorry you are going through this. I can't imagine being in a situation like that.

If you really want to leave your current location, is there another country you can go to, besides Canada, that might be easier to immigrate to? Maybe there are other options for you.. Keep your head up! :)
If there's a country that's near my country to go to, I would definitely consider that without any hesitation. I've chosen Canada because it's too tough to immigrate to many countries without being financially able to do so. The issue is I have the free movement to other countries around me and I can stay as long as I want but it's not safe to be there and I'll face the same discrimination that I face in my country if not worse in some places. I cannot claim asylum there too and they have similar political systems. I'm a first time traveller, I never saw the world before. I'm kept here like a slave and I'm able to communicate in English not because they taught me English. I taught myself under extreme circumstances just in order to communicate with the outer world. It's very painful situation, I lack even the simple support from my family. I'm kept alone in this place. I really don't want to go out, (it's home), but continuing life here is very difficult (discrimination, injustice, corruption, torture, different religion, no legal status for me, difficult to be employed, my life is always in a continous threat,...). You can say I'm the man who doesn't have anything to lose, empty and will leave empty.

Thank you for relpying and offering compassion.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Here are the main challenges I think you'll face in obtaining a TRV. You should keep these in mind when putting together your application and see what you can do to address any of these concerns with evidence:

1) Age and status - I'm assuming you're relatively young and single (i.e. unmarried, no children). This will make it harder to get a TRV since individuals with your profile are more likely to be looking to relocate to Canada rather than just visit.
2) Lack of assets demonstrating ties - Yes, you have a car. Unfortunately that's very little from CIC's perspective.
3) No travel history - CIC will likely be concerned why someone who hasn't traveled suddenly wants to visit Canada for a holiday. They may make assumptions about your true motives. I think this is a big one.
4) Funds - Your funds are on the low side.

Good luck.

jeo_politic

Oct 9, 2016
Here are the main challenges I think you'll face in obtaining a TRV. You should keep these in mind when putting together your application and see what you can do to address any of these concerns with evidence:

1) Age and status - I'm assuming you're relatively young and single (i.e. unmarried, no children). This will make it harder to get a TRV since individuals with your profile are more likely to be looking to relocate to Canada rather than just visit.
2) Lack of assets demonstrating ties - Yes, you have a car. Unfortunately that's very little from CIC's perspective.
3) No travel history - CIC will likely be concerned why someone who hasn't traveled suddenly wants to visit Canada for a holiday. They may make assumptions about your true motives. I think this is a big one.
4) Funds - Your funds are on the low side.

Good luck.
This is exactly the case. I'll be refused immediately. I don't have any other option, I'd rather decline and not apply for the visa at all.

CaroM8

Feb 26, 2015
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico City
App. Filed.......
26/09/2016
AOR Received.
20/10/2016 - SA:25/10/2016 - AOR2: 22/12/16
File Transfer...
25/10/2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
11-10-2017
LANDED..........
14-11-2017
Where are you from OP, if you don't mind?