+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to Calculate hours for CEC?

mhtk

Feb 16, 2024
Hello All,

I am a fulltime employee of an IT company in Toronto since Jan 2022. Due to some personal reasons I had to travel outside Canada for about 3 months. During this time I was approved to work from India due to the special situation and my payroll continued as is for complete 37.5hrs and I have the paystubs indicating the same.
Query 1: Am I Eligible for CEC with 2 years experience?
Query 2: While calculating number of hours, should I consider my time working outside Canada as well?

Thanks in advance.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello All,

I am a fulltime employee of an IT company in Toronto since Jan 2022. Due to some personal reasons I had to travel outside Canada for about 3 months. During this time I was approved to work from India due to the special situation and my payroll continued as is for complete 37.5hrs and I have the paystubs indicating the same.
Query 1: Am I Eligible for CEC with 2 years experience?
Query 2: While calculating number of hours, should I consider my time working outside Canada as well?

Thanks in advance.
1. No. Your 3 months outside Canada do not count for Canadian experience. Work must be IN Canada. So you need another 3 months of Canadian experience to count 2 years.
2. You count a maximum of 30 hours per week. In your EE profile, you will break down your work with separate entries - work in Canada, India and then Canada.

mhtk

Feb 16, 2024
Thank you Naturgrl.
So, If I work for additional 3 months then I would be eligible for 2 years experience in CEC.
Could you please clarify, if CEC needs to be a continuous presence in Canada or it is a cumulative presence and experience in Canada? Because my employment is continuous but I have travelled outside Canada.

Also, I do have couple of business travels outside Canada as well which are like couple of weeks. So, should I exclude that as well?

Sorry for too many queries.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you Naturgrl.
So, If I work for additional 3 months then I would be eligible for 2 years experience in CEC.
Could you please clarify, if CEC needs to be a continuous presence in Canada or it is a cumulative presence and experience in Canada? Because my employment is continuous but I have travelled outside Canada.

Also, I do have couple of business travels outside Canada as well which are like couple of weeks. So, should I exclude that as well?

Sorry for too many queries.
Canadian experience doesn’t need to be continious. So calculate the number of months you have worked in Canada, and when you have 24 months then you have 2 years.

If you are travelling for business meetings outside of Canada for a few days but for weeks you may want to separate it out. What you cannot do is go to India for example and work remotely for weeks or months.

mhtk

Feb 16, 2024
Thank you Naturgrl, this helps a lot.
I have just 1 final query, My wife also works fulltime. But when I was travelling she could not clock 30hrs/week because she has to take care of our kid. Number of hours she worked is reflected in her Paystub. There are about 4 paystubs which show lesser hours. But rest of her paystubs have 37-40hrs/week. So, in her case how do we calculate Canadian experience?

Thank you in advance.