+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how "permanent" is wife's PR if we move abroad for my work?

s-m-w

Jan 17, 2010
Visa Office......
Tokyo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I'm going to be applying for my wife's PR soon, and just wondering how permanent it really is, especially if I were to get transferred abroad and she wanted to come with me.

I understand for any 5 year period she has to live at least 2 years of it in Canada but is that still the case if I get a job abroad and she wants to come with me (assuming she's not working for a Canadian company abroad).

Wikipedia.org's article on Canadian permanent residency says:

"The Permanent Resident Card expires every five years, and then may be renewed by making application and proving that the applicant has been physically present in Canada for the requisite time period, or has otherwise satisfied the residency requirements. Although an individual may meet the residency requirements by living outside of Canada with a Canadian citizen spouse, or working outside Canada for a Canadian business, the Permanent Resident Card cannot be renewed without being present in Canada and having a Canadian address."

What do they mean by "otherwise satisfied the residency requirements"? It looks to me like she can live abroad with me (Canadian citizen husband) but would have to at least go back to Canada to renew her PR every 5 years. Is this correct?

Thanks!
s-m-w

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
You are correct - if she lives abroad with you, then that time counts towards keeping her permanent residency.

There is no such thing as renewing the permanent residency. As long as you're a permanent resident and you have satisfied the residency requirement (in Canada or abroad), then you remain a PR - except if you're convicted of something awful and deported from Canada, but let's assume you won't have to deal with that.

The permanent resident card is your proof of your PR status. The PR card expires 5 years after it was issued and then has to be replaced. But don't confuse the PR card with the PR itself. You can be a PR and not have a valid PR card. You can also have a valid PR card and not be a PR anymore (ie if you get your card, then leave the country for 4 years, you lose the PR but the card stays valid for another year).

In order to renew your PR card, you have to show you're still a PR (have met the residency requirement). You have to come to Canada to get the card, at which time you also have to return the old PR card.

Your wife would not *have* to go Canada every 5 years, she can stay without a PR card if she doesn't need it, but it would be good if she could do that. My mother-in-law has been without a PR card for many years and I would not recommend it because by the time she finally decided to renew it, it took much more effort than it would've if she had renewed it on time.

fallenstar831

Nov 8, 2009
St. Catharines, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-11-2009
File Transfer...
22-12-2009
Med's Done....
12-11-2009
Passport Req..
02-05-2010
VISA ISSUED...
02-22-2010
LANDED..........
03-25-2010
To meet these residency obligations, you must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period.

expat62

Mar 18, 2015
The topic of a sponsor spouse living abroad, either working, or retired, is not not mentioned much in this forum.
It would be important to know more about the subject, ie, the requirements to live in canada, or with the spouse abroad.
In addition, can the spouse, with a canadian PR, travel as easily to other countries as a canadian?
This is a big hassle, when we travel, and I have to get my wife all sorts of visas that I don't need for myself.
Please elaborate on these points...
I know a friend, who worked for an international organization, who got his PR, and then his canadian citizenship, without ever living in Canada...
Thanks,

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fallenstar831 said:
To meet these residency obligations, you must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period.
not if you are abroad with your spouse who is a citizen.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
expat62 said:
The topic of a sponsor spouse living abroad, either working, or retired, is not not mentioned much in this forum.
It would be important to know more about the subject, ie, the requirements to live in canada, or with the spouse abroad.
In addition, can the spouse, with a canadian PR, travel as easily to other countries as a canadian?
This is a big hassle, when we travel, and I have to get my wife all sorts of visas that I don't need for myself.
Please elaborate on these points...
I know a friend, who worked for an international organization, who got his PR, and then his canadian citizenship, without ever living in Canada...
Thanks,
A PR spouse can live outside of Canada with their Canadian citizen spouse and it counts as days inside Canada for the purpose of meeting the PR Residency Obligation. However, it does not count as days towards Canadian citizenship.

Visas depend on what passport a person holds. Becoming a Canadian PR will not change that.

A person cannot become a Canadian citizen without living in Canada.

expat62

Mar 18, 2015
Thanks for the replies. We are not really interested in the citizenship now, as we want to continue living abroad.
That may change, depending on the political stability here.
I thought that the Canadian PR was like the US Green Card, allowing travel to countries, where US citizens can travel.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
expat62 said:
Thanks for the replies. We are not really interested in the citizenship now, as we want to continue living abroad.
That may change, depending on the political stability here.
I thought that the Canadian PR was like the US Green Card, allowing travel to countries, where US citizens can travel.
It's certainly helps, but my wife for example still requires a visit visa to travel to the US. Just one example.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
A person cannot become a Canadian citizen without living in Canada.
Save for those born outside of Canada to a Canadian citizen, right? ;)

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
Nope. They don't become Canadian; they are BORN Canadian.
Well, they become a Canadian when they are born, so if they are in fact born abroad, they've never lived in Canada. :p

(Can you tell that I'm bored outta my freakin' mind today?)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ponga said:
Well, they become a Canadian when they are born, so if they are in fact born abroad, they've never lived in Canada. :p

(Can you tell that I'm bored outta my frieakin' mind today?)
Kind of like how they become a human when they are born? ;)