+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How much time do I have to move when I'm nominated?

andreduarte

Star Member
Nov 28, 2022
I live and work in Ontario (applied for Ontario PNP / Express Entry last week) but my wife works remotely for a BC company.
We also applied for BC PNP, and she has a better chance of being nominated there. If this happens, how much time do we have to move to BC?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I live and work in Ontario (applied for Ontario PNP / Express Entry last week) but my wife works remotely for a BC company.
We also applied for BC PNP, and she has a better chance of being nominated there. If this happens, how much time do we have to move to BC?
You would need to be in BC to be considered for BC PNP. Is she working in a closed work permit or open? If you are applying to both Ontario and BC PNP you probably have to focus on one because you can’t live in both locations. Living in Ontario while your wife works remotely in BC there is minimal proof that you will relocate to BC if approved for BCPNP. If you have a better chance of getting BC PNP you should be looking to move to BC and arrange for you to work remotely if possible from there or find a job in BC.

Reactions: Taran D

andreduarte

Star Member
Nov 28, 2022
@canuck78 She was nominated today, as we were expecting. I can work remotely from BC, this is not an issue. My biggest question is how much time do we have to do it? Is it a month after we receive the nomination? 3 months? Does it have a timeline or we could wait until our rental agreement ends?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
@canuck78 She was nominated today, as we were expecting. I can work remotely from BC, this is not an issue. My biggest question is how much time do we have to do it? Is it a month after we receive the nomination? 3 months? Does it have a timeline or we could wait until our rental agreement ends?
There's no specific timeframe for this. However at any given time, IRCC may come to you and request evidence that you plan to relocate to the nominating province and you'll then have a short period of time to submit a response and supporting evidence. So the risk is that you're caught off guard by this request and have to scramble to demonstrate you do in fact plan to move.

When does your rental agreement end?

andreduarte

Star Member
Nov 28, 2022
The rental agreement ends on Jan/24. Putting everything in a timeline:
- Aug/23: Applying for PNP.
- Mid-oct/23: decision
- Nov/23: Apply for EE

Am I being too pessimist here?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The rental agreement ends on Jan/24. Putting everything in a timeline:
- Aug/23: Applying for PNP.
- Mid-oct/23: decision
- Nov/23: Apply for EE

Am I being too pessimist here?
OK - so I totally missed that you applied for Ontario PNP yourself. You can't do both. Either stick with Ontario PNP and forget about BC PNP or go with BC PNP and withdraw Ontario PNP. You need to show that you are committing yourself to one province, not just throwing applications out there and hoping one sticks.

You frankly have a weak application for BC PNP. You're living in Ontario now and one of you has applied for Ontario PNP. I would just stick with Ontario PNP.

andreduarte

Star Member
Nov 28, 2022
Since I have a closed work permit, that was my only option. Also, I have a restriction in my current visa stating that I need to live in Ontario, even though I work remotely.

BC PNP -> received nomination today (my wife)
Ontario PNP -> still waiting (me)

Do you think we should wait?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Since I have a closed work permit, that was my only option. Also, I have a restriction in my current visa stating that I need to live in Ontario, even though I work remotely.

BC PNP -> received nomination today (my wife)
Ontario PNP -> still waiting (me)

Do you think we should wait?
I'm saying that you as a couple need to pick between Ontario PNP and BC PNP. In my opinion you need to do that now. It's going to be problematic to proceed with the BC PNP nomination if you keep the Ontario PNP nomination in play. Also potentially problematic for Ontario PNP if you have the BC PNP nomination and keep it (don't decline).

Either decline the BC PNP nomination and wait for Ontario PNP.

Or withdraw Ontario PNP and move forward with BC PNP.

Accepting a nomination indicates you plan to live in that province. So you are either misrepresenting yourself to Ontario or misrepresenting yourself to BC.

Anyway, your call what you do. The above is my two cents.

andreduarte

Star Member
Nov 28, 2022
But I was not invited by the Ontario PNP, maybe this wasn't clear.
And I honestly don't have a preference. My EE profile was created saying that I would live in any province.
As of now, we didn't accept their nomination since we're still thinking if it's worth it.
And since we both work for different companies in different regions, we have reasons to go to both places, or neither (since we work from home).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
But I was not invited by the Ontario PNP, maybe this wasn't clear.
And I honestly don't have a preference. My EE profile was created saying that I would live in any province.
As of now, we didn't accept their nomination since we're still thinking if it's worth it.
And since we both work for different companies in different regions, we have reasons to go to both places, or neither (since we work from home).
In that case I'm not sure I understand what you mean by saying you've applied for Ontario PNP.

I'm not sure I can help you further except to say that you don't want to have nominations for multiple provinces in play. I understand you work for different companies in different regions. It's not about that. The nomination is about demonstrating an intent to settle in a specific province. So you need to be able to show that you actually plan to settle in that specific province.

You have 30 days after you receive the BC nomination to apply. Once you submit the application, the province may reach out to request evidence you plan to relocate. So you would want to be prepared in the event that happens.

andreduarte

Star Member
Nov 28, 2022
I’m sorry about the confusion. When I say that I applied to the Ontario PNP means that I registered my express of interest, not that I applied for the PNP itself, since I was not nominated.