+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

$$$ How Much Money Do I Need For 30 Day Visit? $$$

r_tothe_j

Nov 28, 2012
I have bought a plane ticket for my Colombian Girlfriend, total stay period is three weeks. She called the embassy in Bogota to ask about how much money she need to show proof of for her visit, however she was transfered to a call centre in Mexico where the question went unanswered. The visa representative or call centre representative simply said that they didnt know because she doesnt know the exchange rates etc.

Does anyone know how much money she will need to show the visa office? Is there a published chart matrix the visa officers use to determine the ammount? If unable to answer this question, is there anyone I can email to ask this?

Many thanks!

r_tothe_j

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There's no published chart.

I think it would be a good idea to show between $2K and $3K.

wtfrutalkingabout

Oct 17, 2012
I entered Canada as a tourist from Montreal with return flight 30 days after, they didn't ask me to prove anything- this is what the asked me:
1. How long are you gonna stay?
2. What are you going to do in Canada?
3. Where are you gonna stay?
4. Do you know anyone in Canada?
5. How much money do you have?

My answers were:
1. 1 months
2. Travel
3. A motel
4. No
5. 500$ Cash plus some savings in my bank account (and then she asked me 'can you use it here?' and I showed her my credit card and said 'yes, it's American Express I can withdraw money with it anywhere in the world')

Now, all u have to do is be calm, short answers and not too many details and they'll let u in.
I had a receipt from the motel (I printed it online) and they didn't ask me to show them, even though if they suspect her she better keep that unless she knows someone in Canada and planning to stay at their place, then she should have their full name, address and their status just in case.
She should know about the attraction wherever she goes, in case they'll ask "what are you gonna do here for a month?"
As far as money goes no one asked me to prove anything, I have American Express from back home- but any credit card that can be used worldwide is good, cause nobody is gonna ask her to prove how much money she has in her bank account. She can also buy travel checks in advance if she doesn't want to carry cash plus it'll be easier to carry, and she can easily show it at the airport if they ask how much money she has- "I have 500$ on travel check, 500$ cash and lots of savings in my bank account'.
oh btw I forgot 1 question that they asked me....... 'what do u do for your living?' if you're unemployed then lie and say that u work full time and u get vacation up to 1 months a year by contract (it's common here in Canada too) so u can't stay any longer than 1 month.

Follow my advice and you'll enter Canada easily, again- be prepared to prove everything but don't show anything if they don't ask you too, and short answers- don't provide too much information. Look at my answers as an example.
As long as she has a credit card that can be used worldwide (Visa, Amex etc..) she can just take it with her and say that she has lots of savings, no one will ask her how much money exactly she has in her bank account.
Plus just so u know if she ever run out of money she can receive money from you or her parents either straight to her bank account or through the Western Union(she can pick it up at Walmart's customer service)

Good Luck.