+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long does it takes to hear from CIC regarding citizenship application?

oar

Sep 20, 2017
Hello all,

I am going to be eligible to apply for citizenship by next March. (thanks to the revised citizenship law!)
I am just wondering how long it usually takes to hear back from CIC after sending the citizenship application.

Also, I would like to know if it is OK to travel outside of Canada after applying. I know CIC will send mail to my address that I would have to respond in a limited time but how often do they actually send mail (based on that my application has no problem)? I just don't want to miss anything that would delay the process.

Lastly, how about the citizenship test? How many questions are there and how long does the test take? For some of you who have taken the test, would you say it was kind of difficult or fairly easy? (Sorry if it is an obvious question)

Thanks! and wish you all the best!
Hi, have you heard back from the CIC.

deerestlovelybear

Jan 20, 2015
With new relaxed residency rule, it is estimated that if IRCC does not increase headcount, it will take 4 years to process a citizenship application (like before C24), people praying for C6 now has a shocking wake up call

jojik

Dec 6, 2012
Hi everyone, I sent my citizenship application via mail and CIC received it on Sep the 27, 2017. When should I expect to hear from them. I would appreciate the help. Good luck to everyone!
So when did you heard from them ?

NewUser2018

Jun 15, 2017
hard to say, due to the floodgate open for new law, time of processing will likely reverted back to before C24 and innitially it will take even more time due to extreme shortage of citizenship judge. Before C24 it is expected to wait for 4 years for completing of citizenship application (from submitting app to getting the passport), it maybe 6 years after C6 innitially then gradually going down later
not true, i applied 13 October 2017, so far as of today i already got AOR & IN PROCESSING status like 98% of applicants according to Google spreadsheet everything is going smooth as pre C6. And as of today they already have started opening November Apps.

By January app level will return September 2017 pre C6 level. November apps are less than October flood.

everyone who applied October floodgates to my analysis on this forum will become citizen by April 2018 but delays will happen with:

-Those with fingerprint requests
-Those with police certificate requests
-Those who traveled abroad 183 days
-Those who screwed Residency calculator themselves will also see lenghty delay
-*Any of the above delays can end up your your application become NON-ROUTINE and take months and years to finish including those they suspect they deam misreprensation info have 0 hope.

Last edited:

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
hard to say, due to the floodgate open for new law, time of processing will likely reverted back to before C24 and innitially it will take even more time due to extreme shortage of citizenship judge. Before C24 it is expected to wait for 4 years for completing of citizenship application (from submitting app to getting the passport), it maybe 6 years after C6 innitially then gradually going down later
There are no citizenship judges involved in routine processing. Their involvement has been abolished in 2015 and it hasn't been reintroduced since. So maybe a bit less speculation is in order.

parisien

Mar 24, 2012
Alberta
App. Filed.......
17-11-2011
Doc's Request.
23-03-2012 along with RPRF
AOR Received.
17-01-2012
File Transfer...
20-01-2012
Med's Done....
01-11-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
10-05-2012 .... SUBMITTED ON 14TH MAY
VISA ISSUED...
09-05-2012
LANDED..........
19-05-2012
2-4 years was the norm at the peak period before C24, C24 drastically reduced the processing time to below 12 months right after implementation and then it gradually converges to 12 months now. C6 will suddenly move back the processing time to 4 years innitially and then will gradually converge to 2 years after a while. Think about this, Canada accepted 300K of immigrants each year in the past few recent year, the built up due to C24 and C6 now makes around 1 millions of people more becomes eligible (counting those who are able to use 1 year pre PR now). The number of citizenship judges have been reduced without replacement due to people retired and few are added. With 1 millions of applicants increased, the wait time will be at least 3-4 years for citizenship oath appointment. This will mean that right after C6 new residency rules take effect, one would need to wait at least 4 years for processing in routine cases, for non routine, it can be up to 10 years
Let's say if million people applied for citizenship..... 630×1000000 ;)
630,000,000 and still tax brackets high lol

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Lol

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
There are no citizenship judges involved in routine processing. Their involvement has been abolished in 2015 and it hasn't been reintroduced since. So maybe a bit less speculation is in order.
While citizenship judges are not 100% involved in the citizenship process in itself, oath ceremonies are part of the process. Since a huge numbers of immigrants qualified under 3/5 rule, there is only so many space available at each oath ceremony at each locations. Judges have other priorities to do beside oath ceremonies. So oath ceremonies are dependent on judge's available time. If the number of judges remain the same or decreased, the processing time will get longer.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
While citizenship judges are not 100% involved in the citizenship process in itself, oath ceremonies are part of the process. Since a huge numbers of immigrants qualified under 3/5 rule, there is only so many space available at each oath ceremony at each locations. Judges have other priorities to do beside oath ceremonies. So oath ceremonies are dependent on judge's available time. If the number of judges remain the same or decreased, the processing time will get longer.
My post was referring to the involvement of the citizenship judges during the application processing. Yes they still do administer the oath ceremony. But I don't think that this is anything where capacity is an issue. IRCC even holds ceremonies in Con Hall at University of Toronto, which seats like 800 people.

On an other note, I don't see the point why this month old thread which is 99% of speculative nature needed to be revived. Maybe let's get back to help out people with hard fact questions :)

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
My post was referring to the involvement of the citizenship judges during the application processing. Yes they still do administer the oath ceremony. But I don't think that this is anything where capacity is an issue. IRCC even holds ceremonies in Con Hall at University of Toronto, which seats like 800 people.

On an other note, I don't see the point why this month old thread which is 99% of speculative nature needed to be revived. Maybe let's get back to help out people with hard fact questions :)
Yes. They do hold oath ceremonies outside CIC offices but that is usually done on special occasions like Canada Day. An once a year event. I doubt they will use the hall just to clear the oath ceremony backlog outside special events.

turbineflyer

Apr 22, 2016
I sent in my citizenship application about a month ago. I kept track of the application going in the mail, and I know someone received it. But I still haven’t got an email from them saying that hey have officially received my application. How long does this normally take?

williew

Sep 24, 2018
I sent in my citizenship application about a month ago. I kept track of the application going in the mail, and I know someone received it. But I still haven’t got an email from them saying that hey have officially received my application. How long does this normally take?
Did you get their confirmation now? I sent my back in July, but havent heard anything yet.

letstry21

Sep 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-Oct-2013
Doc's Request.
RCMP request 10-May-2014
AOR Received.
08-Dec-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted with Application
Med's Request
Got Medical Instructions on 08-Jul after mail to CPP
Med's Done....
10-Jul-2014 (Uploaded 15-Jul-2014)
Passport Req..
25-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-Sep-2014(Initially passport was returned back due to Damaged passport so got reissued and send again)
LANDED..........
28-Sep-2014
Did you get their confirmation now? I sent my back in July, but havent heard anything yet.
if you check excel , he got AOR on 21-sep