+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long does it takes to hear from CIC regarding citizenship application?

movinouter

Star Member
Sep 13, 2013
Hello all,

I am going to be eligible to apply for citizenship by next March. (thanks to the revised citizenship law!)
I am just wondering how long it usually takes to hear back from CIC after sending the citizenship application.

Also, I would like to know if it is OK to travel outside of Canada after applying. I know CIC will send mail to my address that I would have to respond in a limited time but how often do they actually send mail (based on that my application has no problem)? I just don't want to miss anything that would delay the process.

Lastly, how about the citizenship test? How many questions are there and how long does the test take? For some of you who have taken the test, would you say it was kind of difficult or fairly easy? (Sorry if it is an obvious question)

Thanks! and wish you all the best!

Last edited:
Reactions: oar

deerestlovelybear

Jan 20, 2015
hard to say, due to the floodgate open for new law, time of processing will likely reverted back to before C24 and innitially it will take even more time due to extreme shortage of citizenship judge. Before C24 it is expected to wait for 4 years for completing of citizenship application (from submitting app to getting the passport), it maybe 6 years after C6 innitially then gradually going down later

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
hard to say, due to the floodgate open for new law, time of processing will likely reverted back to before C24 and innitially it will take even more time due to extreme shortage of citizenship judge. Before C24 it is expected to wait for 4 years for completing of citizenship application (from submitting app to getting the passport), it maybe 6 years after C6 innitially then gradually going down later
I think it will take 24 years after C-6
And I have no concrete evidence to back it up, just like the last post

HamiltonApplicant

Apr 3, 2017
Hamilton
Visa Office......
Munich, Germany
App. Filed.......
Jan 2007
Med's Request
Dec 2009
Med's Done....
Jan 2010
Passport Req..
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
May 2010
LANDED..........
25-11-2010
I am going to be eligible to apply for citizenship by next March. (thanks to the revised citizenship law!)
I am just wondering how long it usually takes to hear back from CIC after sending the citizenship application.

Thanks! and wish you all the best!
Come back mid Feb '18, the forum will have some real time data to answer your question...

Also, I would like to know if it is OK to travel outside of Canada after applying. I know CIC will send mail to my address that I would have to respond in a limited time but how often do they actually send mail (based on that my application has no problem)? I just don't want to miss anything that would delay the process.
In my case, everything, except the acknowledgement of receipt(AOR), came by snail mail. As for traveling, what are the plans? Hours, Days, Weeks, or years? Avoid prolonged absences after application was sent, is my advice....
Lastly, how about the citizenship test? How many questions are there and how long does the test take? For some of you who have taken the test, would you say it was kind of difficult or fairly easy? (Sorry if it is an obvious question)
Read the official guide, take online tests, that should suffice

rustic

Jun 16, 2017
they say it is 12 months now but most them get it within 4-6 months now. So , initially it wont be below 12 months gradually decreasing. Pre C-24 people used to get within 1-2 yrs from date of application. AOR itself used to take 3-4 months now it is about a month. Don't worry it wont be that bad. By the time you apply in march you will have an idea about the timelines. As we expect the C-6 to be implemented anytime from Sept 3rd week till 3rd week of December. Best of luck!

jamie hito

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Japan
Why the pessimism?

I came to this country November 2013 as pr and c24 happened. Eligible under 4-6 November 2017.

Is being screwed again by c6 because of all this floodgate theories.

canucks are backwards.

deerestlovelybear

Jan 20, 2015
2-4 years was the norm at the peak period before C24, C24 drastically reduced the processing time to below 12 months right after implementation and then it gradually converges to 12 months now. C6 will suddenly move back the processing time to 4 years innitially and then will gradually converge to 2 years after a while. Think about this, Canada accepted 300K of immigrants each year in the past few recent year, the built up due to C24 and C6 now makes around 1 millions of people more becomes eligible (counting those who are able to use 1 year pre PR now). The number of citizenship judges have been reduced without replacement due to people retired and few are added. With 1 millions of applicants increased, the wait time will be at least 3-4 years for citizenship oath appointment. This will mean that right after C6 new residency rules take effect, one would need to wait at least 4 years for processing in routine cases, for non routine, it can be up to 10 years

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Lets guess: 2-4 years.
I was being sarcastic by saying 24 years ... guess nobody saw the second half of my post.. it's useless to predict the processing time. Sure there will be more people eligible , but the procedures also changed a lot when C24 took effect , the streamlining of processing was another reason of reduced waiting time, not to mention the $500 fee increase that a lot of people were complaining about, as well as more people giving up their PRs due to slowing economy and other reasons - these factors will remain when C6 starts, and the liberal government wants to get more votes in time for the next election, which is the main reason for C6 from the beginning; if they don't pump as many citizens into the system before voting starts, it would be all for nothing and they will lose to the conservatives for sure

Reactions: nesden and spyfy

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
2-4 years was the norm at the peak period before C24, C24 drastically reduced the processing time to below 12 months right after implementation and then it gradually converges to 12 months now. C6 will suddenly move back the processing time to 4 years innitially and then will gradually converge to 2 years after a while. Think about this, Canada accepted 300K of immigrants each year in the past few recent year, the built up due to C24 and C6 now makes around 1 millions of people more becomes eligible (counting those who are able to use 1 year pre PR now). The number of citizenship judges have been reduced without replacement due to people retired and few are added. With 1 millions of applicants increased, the wait time will be at least 3-4 years for citizenship oath appointment. This will mean that right after C6 new residency rules take effect, one would need to wait at least 4 years for processing in routine cases, for non routine, it can be up to 10 years
I think you forgot to take into account the temperature variation in Sydney, NS over the year.
Just thought I'd give some feedback to make your estimate even more accurate :)

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Just to emphasize: You are claiming that once C-6 comes into effect one in 36 people in Canada becomes eligible for citizenship.

rustic

Jun 16, 2017
One thing i have learned during my time on the forum, write what others want to hear rather than what you want to share. Example " after c-6 implementation it will take 3-4 months to process the application...."

oar

Sep 20, 2017
Hi everyone, I sent my citizenship application via mail and CIC received it on Sep the 27, 2017. When should I expect to hear from them. I would appreciate the help. Good luck to everyone!