+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long do we get as PGWP for 1+1 program

Dream65

May 22, 2023
I recently had a consultation with two college immigration advisors and both of them said that, if my program says 8 months, taking two courses (8+8) won't give me a chance to get a 3 years PGWP. but I know few who have got 3 years PGWP and non who haven't got 3 years after completing two programs. I want to understand if immigration advisors from college are correct or wrong. furthermore, if anyone had already got the 3 years PGWP after completing 1+1 program.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I recently had a consultation with two college immigration advisors and both of them said that, if my program says 8 months, taking two courses (8+8) won't give me a chance to get a 3 years PGWP. but I know few who have got 3 years PGWP and non who haven't got 3 years after completing two programs. I want to understand if immigration advisors from college are correct or wrong. furthermore, if anyone had already got the 3 years PGWP after completing 1+1 program.
There are changes starting Feb 15, 2024. You may be able to get a PGWP that combines the length of each program, in this case both College Advisors are correct. 8+8 will give you 16months validity, not 3 years.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/about.html

Reactions: AndyT

Dream65

May 22, 2023
The law also states that I might be eligible for 3 years. how does that work. Because I was said that 4 semester is equivalent to 2 years. for example, there are programs which are 1 years but only 2 semester in colleges like seneca. then again 8 months courses which are also 2 semesters. 2 years programs are only 4 semesters. So I am confused how immigrations would consider things as doing 1+1.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
The law also states that I might be eligible for 3 years. how does that work. Because I was said that 4 semester is equivalent to 2 years. for example, there are programs which are 1 years but only 2 semester in colleges like seneca. then again 8 months courses which are also 2 semesters. 2 years programs are only 4 semesters. So I am confused how immigrations would consider things as doing 1+1.
I guess you didnt read the link I've provided from my previous reply, read it careful. these changes were implemented this year. I dont know what law are you referring to..

Last edited:
Reactions: AndyT

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
There is no law as that would require house debate and MP and Senate voting. It is an operations manual/bulletin that can change and be modified at anytime.

AndyT

Jun 12, 2020
Simba has rightly interpreted. Please go to the link and click for option for all other program. Your case is more than 1 program which talks nothing about 3 years. I think ircc have removed the 3 years wording. I have received 3 years for 1+1 in the past but going through the current link, I can’t be certain about 3 years now.

Reactions: Simba112