+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long can someone legally stay in Canada after graduation?

Amtheslayer

May 12, 2021
Hello!
One of my friends just got the letter of graduation from his university, but he wants to extend his passport before applying for pgwp. Since he has to mail his passport, the process can take up to a month. I was wondering how long he can legally stay in Canada without applying for PGWP?

Thank you in advance

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
His legal status is as a student which will expire as what is mentioned in the study permit. Try to apply for a PGWP before it expires so he can remain legally under implied status.
Student status expires 90 days after the completion of studies, even if there's 10 years left on the permit.

Reactions: abdulshaik

Rafaelhag43

May 6, 2021
Student status expires 90 days after the completion of studies, even if there's 10 years left on the permit.
Not necessarily always 90 days, my friend's study permit expires after 100 days from graduation. Seems like they just give you until the end of the third month. I highly doubt the government will give you 10 years after graduation....

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Not necessarily always 90 days, my friend's study permit expires after 100 days from graduation. Seems like they just give you until the end of the third month. I highly doubt the government will give you 10 years after graduation....
You're not understanding what I am saying.

The printed date on the study permit is irrelevant. The permit expires 90 days after you finish studies, no matter the printed date on the study permit.

• Your study permit will become invalid 90 days after you complete your studies (even before your study permit expiry date)

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
You're not understanding what I am saying.

The printed date on the study permit is irrelevant. The permit expires 90 days after you finish studies, no matter the printed date on the study permit.
Exactly.

If your printed date says, for example, that it expires on April 30th, but you finish your studies on April 25th, you got to count 90 days after April 25th.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Exactly.

If your printed date says, for example, that it expires on April 30th, but you finish your studies on April 25th, you got to count 90 days after April 25th.
No, if your permit expires on April 30th and you finish classes on April 25th, you have until April 30th to maintain status. You don't get a bonus of 90 days because your classes finish on the day your permit expires.