+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how long can i stay in canada?

tai

Mar 11, 2011
Hi

I have a US green card and I am visiting my daughter in Calgary Canada, I traveled by air and CBSA did not stamp my passport. So, how long can i stay in Canada? Also can i apply to extend my stay?

Thanks

Patricksgirls

Star Member
Oct 31, 2010
Most likely you can stay up to six months. To apply for an extension you need to provide proof of when you arrived in Canada. Also it may be denied for reasons of wanting to visit your daughter for longer than six months. If you apply for an extension by mail you are on implied status for around 120 days further.

tai

Mar 11, 2011
thanks for your help. Another questions

Now i need to travel to Vietnam because of a death in family, can i reenter Canada once i am done?

Thanks

macthepak

Feb 13, 2011
Re: student visa rejected,will apply again,,,good idea?

Green card only guarantees entry into usa (implicit). Although unlikely You can be refused entry into canada any time.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Looks like you may be OK.

Read here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp#exemptions

Visitor Visa Exemptions

Many people do not require a visa to visit Canada. These include:

x- snip -x

persons lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence who are in possession of their alien registration card (Green card) or can provide other evidence of permanent residence;

I would check with CIC.

macthepak

Feb 13, 2011
Re: student visa rejected,will apply again,,,good idea?

You know i was thinking if your passport has not been stamped with an entry date etc in theory there is nothing stopping you staying in canada upto to the expiry date of your greencard or passport. Any thoughts?

tai

Mar 11, 2011
Patricksgirls said:
Most likely you can stay up to six months. To apply for an extension you need to provide proof of when you arrived in Canada. Also it may be denied for reasons of wanting to visit your daughter for longer than six months. If you apply for an extension by mail you are on implied status for around 120 days further.
What if i leave Canada after 5 months to get back to US so my GreenCard won't expire. and then would like to revisit Canada to help my daughter with her 2 newborns. Where can I apply to make sure i can reenter Canada? Also my daughter plans to sponsor me, but the application will take 5 years. Is there a way i can apply for some kind of approvals for me to reenter Canada every six months?

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
tai said:
Is there a way i can apply for some kind of approvals for me to reenter Canada every six months?

Thanks
No such approval exists for entering Canada.

Also, you should make sure you have researched your green card obligations thoroughly. If you are spending more time outside of the US than inside of the US, then you will eventually lose your green card. Coming back to the US for a few weeks every six months isn't good enough. You may want to look into a re-entry permit.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
macthepak said:
How can the canadian authorities prove otherwise when she entered the country?
You know that IO's do not have to prove anything, they can make the decision to refuse entry if they wish.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
macthepak said:
How can the canadian authorities prove otherwise when she entered the country?
Information sharing with airlines.

However as Baloo said, Canadian authorities are under no obligation to prove anything. They are empowered to refuse entry.

jspan22

Mar 24, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yeah, I have seen it happen. We went to Canada for a short project but one of our guys was refused entry because they didn't believe that his skill sets were necessary. We went as visitors because it really wasn't work project that would require a work visa since it was only going to take two days to deliver and no money was changing hands. But just to reiterate, they can absolutely refuse entry.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
Information sharing with airlines.

However as Baloo said, Canadian authorities are under no obligation to prove anything. They are empowered to refuse entry.
As a side note, Canada have just "done a deal" with New Zealand, on information exchange.
“This initiative will help Canadian immigration authorities detect foreign criminals and previous deportees who are trying to re-enter Canada without permission,” said Minister Kenney. “Canada already has similar initiatives in place with the United Kingdom, Australia and the United States, and we are pleased to expand this partnership to include New Zealand.”
You can bet it will be used on more than just "criminal types" :)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/releases/2011/2011-03-24b.asp