+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How is film industry in Canada?

ccc333

Apr 21, 2017
Hi my friends,

I just read a news about film industry in Canada and here is a quotation:
“It’s unbelievable. It’s unprecedented. You just show up and you have a job, a full-time job. And you might have a little bit of skill – or no skill – and you can get in by doing.”

Is this statement true? How easy to find a job in film industry in Canada so far?

ccc333

Apr 21, 2017
Bs65 said:
Where did this quote come from ?
I cannot post link here. Please search "The movie industry in Vancouver is booming once again, thanks to Netflix ". I think it is the local news from Vancouver.

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
ccc333 said:
I cannot post link here. Please search "The movie industry in Vancouver is booming once again, thanks to Netflix ". I think it is the local news from Vancouver.
This statement most likely applies to people already living in Vancouver..PRs or citizens. Yes, the film industry here is booming like mad, where I live, almost every week there are crews setting up sets.

But I highly doubt that new immigrants will have a chance, since the film industry is highly unionized and quite tough to get into. It is also only part time and on hourly minimum rate to begin with.

ccc333

Apr 21, 2017
foodie69 said:
This statement most likely applies to people already living in Vancouver..PRs or citizens. Yes, the film industry here is booming like mad, where I live, almost every week there are crews setting up sets.

But I highly doubt that new immigrants will have a chance, since the film industry is highly unionized and quite tough to get into. It is also only part time and on hourly minimum rate to begin with.
The film industry in my country pays hourly minimum rate as well, but they don't take sci-fi stuff. Maybe they would copy the Hollywood sci-fi films sometime, however this is not the career I would like to do for my whole life at all. I just want to make some change in my life.

My plan is that to take a master degree, and then get a three work-permit. My family said that they would give me some financial support, but I hope I could find a part-time job (not long 20 hours per week according to the limit of work study) in the film/TV series production team at that moment.

What do you think about my plan? Also, is it possible to live in Vancouver/ Toronto/ Montreal with hourly minimum rate? I don't have family in Canada so I have to duel with everything myself. Thank you!

ccc333

Apr 21, 2017
Oh! Is it possible to find a "LMIA" job from film industry in Canada? I consider myself in junior standard.

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
ccc333 said:
Oh! Is it possible to find a "LMIA" job from film industry in Canada? I consider myself in junior standard.
Not to discourage you..but to have a LMIA approved, the employer needs to prove no Canadian or PR can do the job. We have plenty of people already here that can do it..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ccc333 said:
Likely impossible. First of all you most likely won't find an employer willing to pay all of that money and wait months for the application to be processed. And even if you did, I can't imagine the LMIA would be approved given there are lots of Canadians who could be hired for this kind of role.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ccc333 said:
My plan is that to take a master degree, and then get a three work-permit. My family said that they would give me some financial support, but I hope I could find a part-time job (not long 20 hours per week according to the limit of work study) in the film/TV series production team at that moment.

What do you think about my plan? Also, is it possible to live in Vancouver/ Toronto/ Montreal with hourly minimum rate? I don't have family in Canada so I have to duel with everything myself. Thank you!
Your plan sounds good overall - apart from the part about finding a part time job in the film/TV industry. Realistically that won't happen and you'll need to wait until you've finished school and can work full time before you can enter the industry.

You should assume the money you make part time while in school will not be enough to cover your living expenses. There's also never a guarantee how long it will take you to find a part time job or how many hours you'll get each week. So make sure you have enough money to pay for both your tuition and living expenses without working.

ccc333

Apr 21, 2017
foodie69 said:
Not to discourage you..but to have a LMIA approved, the employer needs to prove no Canadian or PR can do the job. We have plenty of people already here that can do it..
scylla said:
Likely impossible. First of all you most likely won't find an employer willing to pay all of that money and wait months for the application to be processed. And even if you did, I can't imagine the LMIA would be approved given there are lots of Canadians who could be hired for this kind of role.
So could I say that "LMIA" was a useless system to most of the foreigners?

ccc333

Apr 21, 2017
scylla said:
Your plan sounds good overall - apart from the part about finding a part time job in the film/TV industry. Realistically that won't happen and you'll need to wait until you've finished school and can work full time before you can enter the industry.

You should assume the money you make part time while in school will not be enough to cover your living expenses. There's also never a guarantee how long it will take you to find a part time job or how many hours you'll get each week. So make sure you have enough money to pay for both your tuition and living expenses without working.
Thank you for the reminder. I would make sure that I have enough money to do everything. Actually I am 25 years-old now. Normally it is the age to work as junior in a company. It feels so stupid to stay in school for two more years but I really need the work permit....

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
ccc333 said:
Full of tears on my eyes right now :'( :'( :'(
What a fake hope.
Sorry to hear.. the flaws are: Find a Canadian who can do your job is really not that hard.. There are more capable people within the country than not. Not just in film, it is everywhere.. Unless you are an extreme heart surgeon or an astrophysicist.

ccc333

Apr 21, 2017
foodie69 said:
Sorry to hear.. the flaws are: Find a Canadian who can do your job is really not that hard.. There are more capable people within the country than not. Not just in film, it is everywhere.. Unless you are an extreme heart surgeon or an astrophysicist.
Seem like "find a master degree and get the work permit" is the only way I could immigrate to Canada, right?

By the way, if I study a course in "Ontario College Graduate Certificate" level, which I get the work permit as well? Although most of the courses are 1 year long and give me 1 year duration work permit only :(