+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How does the goverment expect people to continue relationships w/o marrying?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - submitting an application would not allow you to work immediately.

How quickly you will be able to work depends on a few things:

1) If you apply Inland, you will be able to work after stage 1 processing has been completed (approximately 8-9 months after your application is first submitted). This assumes that your application is processed normally and no challenges/delays are encountered.

2) If you apply Outland, you will be able to work once you are granted permanent residency and you land. How long this will take can be anywhere from 3 months to 11+ months. My husband's application (for example) was processed in four months.

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
acer925 said:
This is the closest to a clear answer I've gotten even though I still dont have an answer lol..and yes my question could definately be clearer but for a simple question it gets quickly confusing while in writing. I asked on this forum because she as the canadian would be sponsoring me and I thought someone would know the answer. I need Leon, lol. Maybe if I ask a diff. question first I can get to an answer im looking for so heres my first question. If she as my canadian gf sponsors me as common law (weve both lived in canada for the past year) would that alow me to work in canada? If so, how long would it take?
Bob's wife and Robsluv both gave good, detailed answers to this on the first page of this thread. Look back at those.

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
acer925 said:
This is the closest to a clear answer I've gotten even though I still dont have an answer lol..and yes my question could definately be clearer but for a simple question it gets quickly confusing while in writing. I asked on this forum because she as the canadian would be sponsoring me and I thought someone would know the answer. I need Leon, lol. Maybe if I ask a diff. question first I can get to an answer im looking for so heres my first question. If she as my canadian gf sponsors me as common law (weve both lived in canada for the past year) would that alow me to work in canada? If so, how long would it take?
Yes, as soon as the application is finished processing you will get a permanent resident visa in your passport which will allow you to get a social insurance number and work in Canada. How long would it take? After sending in the application to Mississauga it takes about 35-45 days for your common-law spouse to be approved as a sponsor. The application is then forwarded to Buffalo, which seems to be processing straight-forward applications (with no interview required) in about 4 months. So best case scenario, you are permanent in Canada and able to work here about 5-6 months after applying. Depending on your background check though, and if an interview is required, it could be more like a year.

THe bulk of the application would be proving your common-law relationship. Proving that you are in a long-term committed loving relationship and not just friends or roomates. You will need proof that you have been living together for a year, any proof of joint accounts or beneficiaries, both names on a lease, letter from landlord, letters from family and friends, pictures of you together and different points in the year, proof of how you met and communication before you started living together (emails, postcards, phone bills, text messages). It does take quite a while to get this stuff together. Then you will need to obtain FBI certificates from the US proving you have no criminal record. This can take around 13 weeks to obtain, so it's best you order that ASAP. Closer to the date you apply you will also have to do a medical exam with a designated medical professional close to where you are living. It costs a few hundred dollars. The fees for the actual PR application are $1050.

As for your overstay...I don't know much about that, but you have had some good advice about applying for extensions. Any info about your common-law wife (remember, she's not your girlfriend anymore as far as Canada is concerned) moving to the US, you will have to go elsewhere for those answers.

Now, does this finally answer some of your questions?

Rinnerz

Apr 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-10-2010
AOR Received.
14-12-2010
File Transfer...
09-11-2010
Med's Done....
29-07-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
07-07-2011
LANDED..........
02-08-2011

acer925

Star Member
Jan 1, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bobshynoswife said:
Yes, as soon as the application is finished processing you will get a permanent resident visa in your passport which will allow you to get a social insurance number and work in Canada. How long would it take? After sending in the application to Mississauga it takes about 35-45 days for your common-law spouse to be approved as a sponsor. The application is then forwarded to Buffalo, which seems to be processing straight-forward applications (with no interview required) in about 4 months. So best case scenario, you are permanent in Canada and able to work here about 5-6 months after applying. Depending on your background check though, and if an interview is required, it could be more like a year.

THe bulk of the application would be proving your common-law relationship. Proving that you are in a long-term committed loving relationship and not just friends or roomates. You will need proof that you have been living together for a year, any proof of joint accounts or beneficiaries, both names on a lease, letter from landlord, letters from family and friends, pictures of you together and different points in the year, proof of how you met and communication before you started living together (emails, postcards, phone bills, text messages). It does take quite a while to get this stuff together. Then you will need to obtain FBI certificates from the US proving you have no criminal record. This can take around 13 weeks to obtain, so it's best you order that ASAP. Closer to the date you apply you will also have to do a medical exam with a designated medical professional close to where you are living. It costs a few hundred dollars. The fees for the actual PR application are $1050.

As for your overstay...I don't know much about that, but you have had some good advice about applying for extensions. Any info about your common-law wife (remember, she's not your girlfriend anymore as far as Canada is concerned) moving to the US, you will have to go elsewhere for those answers.

Now, does this finally answer some of your questions?
thanks. I was aware of most of that info. Im gonna try the visajourney.com for an answer as to whether or not we can move and work in the states after she sponsors me here in canada. thanks again

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
acer925 said:
I cant even post a new topic on visajourney, it wont let me. :sigh: :mad:
This may be a dumb question but did you register as a member?

acer925

Star Member
Jan 1, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Someone had stated that the US doesnt recognize common law partners so I guess my answer is if she sponsors me here in canada we cannot go live in the states and both work since they dont even recognize common law relationships only marriages. Hey that brings me back to my original title in this thread!

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
acer925 said:
Someone had stated that the US doesnt recognize common law partners so I guess my answer is if she sponsors me here in canada we cannot go live in the states and both work since they dont even recognize common law relationships only marriages. Hey that brings me back to my original title in this thread!
According to http://bccvisalaw.com/green-card-marriage.php:

A spouse is a legally wedded husband or wife. Merely living together does not qualify a marriage for immigration. Common law spouses may qualify as spouses for immigration, but only if the laws of the country where the common law marriage occurs recognizes common law marriages and grants them all the same rights and obligations as a traditional marriage.
As for the title of the thread, they really don't "expect people to continue relationships, w/o marrying". They'd much prefer that you got married. It makes everything simpler. And if you're not committed enough for that yet, you don't qualify.

acer925

Star Member
Jan 1, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BeShoo said:
According to http://bccvisalaw.com/green-card-marriage.php:

As for the title of the thread, they really don't "expect people to continue relationships, w/o marrying". They'd much prefer that you got married. It makes everything simpler. And if you're not committed enough for that yet, you don't qualify.
I appreciate your answer..the US should really have a diff. policy, I as an American have lived with her for over a year and that should allow me to bring her back to the states for us to live and start a life without *having* to get married. Thats why I say the US govt really forces the marriage, otherwise you cant be together there.

sogwap

Feb 18, 2010
Indiana
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This post is one example of the common unexpected difficulties that US/Canadian marriage/partner relationship face. In both countries the government forbids married couples to do what is commonly expected of them. Move in together, work and live/raise a family. Under the current Canadian law this is impossible in most cases.

You are either forced to live apart or not work for the first 6-12 months. In my own situation I moved here got married, but have been unable to work without a work permit. And now after a year my marriage/partner doesn't want to sponsor me because of the undue stress of supporting me this past year. She is afraid that she will have to do this for the next three years. I am not a free loader, as I have depleted well over $10,000 savings since coming here for living expenses. My wife rightfully expected that I would come here and support her. But instead she has been forced to carried the full load.

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
acer925 said:
I as an American have lived with her for over a year and that should allow me to bring her back to the states for us to live and start a life without *having* to get married.
Take note that the U.S. does recognize "common law spouses" where you became one in a country where common law carries all the privileges of marriage. I believe that Canada is one of those, so you should try to confirm that if that is your situation. (It may actually vary by province, depending on what criteria this depends on.)