+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How does someone outside of Canada and not a Canadian resident Work in Canada?

swalsh19

Star Member
Aug 31, 2012
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
NOC4212
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-10- 2012
AOR Received.
09-12-2012
Med's Request
21-04-2014
Med's Done....
02-05-2014
I'm a little confused on a work permit and how they actually work. Can anyone apply for an open work permit and come to Canada to then look for a job, or do they have to have a job lined up prior to applying? Then after a year apply to be a permanent resident since the amount of years has now changed?

I see there is a processing fee and such which is normal but does one have to have an employer willing to hire prior to the individual being able to file for a work permit? I assume if a work permit is authorized at that time a temporary social insurance would be assigned as well for taxation?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
swalsh19 said:
I'm a little confused on a work permit and how they actually work. Can anyone apply for an open work permit and come to Canada to then look for a job, or do they have to have a job lined up prior to applying? Then after a year apply to be a permanent resident since the amount of years has now changed?

I see there is a processing fee and such which is normal but does one have to have an employer willing to hire prior to the individual being able to file for a work permit? I assume if a work permit is authorized at that time a temporary social insurance would be assigned as well for taxation?
People only qualify to apply for open work permits under a few very specific circumstances (e.g. your Canadian citizen or Canadian PR spouse has sponsored you for permanent residency through the inland spousal sponsorship program and the application has received first stage approval).

If you don't fall under one of these circumstances, then you need to find an employer before you can apply for a work permit.

You can apply for PR through the Canadian Experience Class program once you have completed a year of work in Canada provided that experience is in a skilled occupation.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
swalsh19 said:

To answer the question in your subject line -

Either a ton of luck (and I mean a ton), very specialized skills needed in Canada by province, or by obtaining Permanent Residence status. Getting a job in Canada is not easy. Hiring a foreign worker is a hassle for employers and many refuse to consider the process.

What country are you a citizen of?

swalsh19

Star Member
Aug 31, 2012
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
NOC4212
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-10- 2012
AOR Received.
09-12-2012
Med's Request
21-04-2014
Med's Done....
02-05-2014
I was looking for friends.

out

Jun 23, 2012
swalsh19 said:
you apply for a visitor visa then start looking for friends...

may i remind people seeking advices...don't waste the time and effort of anyone answering querries seriously. please be grateful all the time if somebody out there cares when it can also be "who cares!"

be conscious and watch out!...this is pure charity loaded with generosity!

swalsh19

Star Member
Aug 31, 2012
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
NOC4212
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-10- 2012
AOR Received.
09-12-2012
Med's Request
21-04-2014
Med's Done....
02-05-2014
I'm not sure if the comments were directed at me, I was trying to help some friends out and I wasn't sure on how everything worked. This site was great for me as a resource when helping the girlfriend apply for her PR, I just wasn't sure how someone outside of Canada could actually find a job that would give them the ability to apply for a work visa in order to get the experience to apply later on for PR should they want to.

Layman

Oct 16, 2012
swalsh19 said:
I found you´re comment so original ... at the same time so pure and naive .

We´re all looking for friends and .. we all need friends. Fortunately, this is a great Forum with many wonderful members who provide tons of information gratuitously. I, for one, have learned a great deal ... especially that moving to and staying in Canada is much more complicated than it may seem to the naked eye.

Sharing is a great way for all of us to move ahead and, we all have something to share. Esopo, the writer from Ancient Greece famously wrote "“Ninguém é tão grande que não possa aprender, nem tão pequeno que não possa ensinar.” (Portuguese). In English "No one is too big that he/she cannot learn, nor too small that he/she may not teach". It´s one of my favourite proverbs ... geez I learn so much with my 3 yr. old baby.

Well, enough for the mushy talk. I´ll share with u this link. It´s fabulous!! Well organized and so much information concerning WP. Have I been a friend ;D??

http://www.canadaworkpermit.com/faq/index.html

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
swalsh19 said:
Hopefully you understand this statement is ambiguous. I first read it as you were looking to make friends too.

Your friends should go to CIC's website and take their evaluations.

You can also invite them to visit. If they're allowed, they can look for work, but I'll promise you, it's really hard to get a work permit unless you have connections or you get lucky.