+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How do CBSA verify RO at POEs while entering by private car from USA

jojok9

Aug 10, 2009
While going thru various posts and discussions I need to clarify some rules and practices of CBSA at US border.

An immediate exit to USA, 10 days after mailing PR renewal application on completion of 760 + days for 5 years.
Return by private car from USA with expired PR card after 65 days stay in US from the above exit.
If RO calculated from return date at POE, back to 5 years - it completes only 727 days !! 3 days short.

My question is :

Is it possible that the CBSA at POE can find out at the entry gate, the RO is short of 3 days??

Does the CBSA system shows all our exit and entries to and fro Canada, perfectly for immediate decision ?

Does CBSA accept any verbal declaration about our presence and absence for their calculation?.

For an immediate decision at POE, what method do the CBSA adopt to calculate the RO, during the last 5 years, because exits from Canada are not stamped on the passport.

The FOIA requests filed online to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) takes several months!!.

Please guide.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
1) They most likely will not be able to determine your exact RO right there. But if they suspect you are short (especially with an expired PR card), they may decide to investigate further.
2) From what I understand, CBSA only keeps track of entries. However, there is some new plan coming into effect where US immigration and CBSA will share information freely, allowing both sides easy access to entry/exit information for individuals. It may have already come into effect (2014 was the year that it is supposed to come into effect)
3) You mean take your word for it? They will ask you questions. Whether they believe your answers, it is up to them
4) Well they won't take immediate action. They can report you if they are suspicious and CIC can investigate further. But they will let you in.

kennykill

Jun 15, 2011
keesio said:
2) From what I understand, CBSA only keeps track of entries. However, there is some new plan coming into effect where US immigration and CBSA will share information freely, allowing both sides easy access to entry/exit information for individuals. It may have already come into effect (2014 was the year that it is supposed to come into effect)
I got my CBSA report recently and can tell you that they track all entry/exits. The cover letter that accompanied the report stated;

"Please note that the records are being released in their entirety. Also note that six exit records were retrieved.

Please note that exit information is only recorded for foreign nationals leaving Canada at a land port since June 30th, 2013 (no exit information exists prior to that date). In addition, no exit information is recorded for Canadian Citizens, American Citizens, commercial truck drivers, or minors."

The exit records they have for me are from the land border crossings and flights so clearly they are now tracking exits over land as well as by air. If you are American citizen then it will be different for you but if you're a foreign national then be aware of it.

I'm not sure they can accurately detect at the POE if you meet the RO or not, that's why they ask in the renewal for so much detail. From what I've read from other peoples experience on here and some published stories they have a good idea of when you might have last left the country so don't lie about the amount of time you've been out of the country on this trip. I was going to suggest bringing a copy of your renewal forms you submitted with you when you return, however that might show you're in breach.

I can't speak from experience but one idea might be to tell them at the POE you've already submitted for renewal and waiting for your card whilst also showing them your expired card and passport. Do you have the renewal fee receipt that you can maybe show to the border guard to back your story up?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
kennykill - that is pretty interesting. Thanks for sharing

I guess it came into effect last year. i knew it was coming sometime. Also interesting that they don't collect exit info for American citizens. I winder if US immigration doesn't want to share that info for whatever reason or if CBSA doesn't bother. You figure they would care since there are Americans who also immigrate to Canada (like myself).

To jojok9 - could you not simply cut your trip short a few days so you are not in breach of your RO when you come back?

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
I think they will only record exits if a PR (who is also a non-US citizen) is travelling to the US through land borders (starting June 30 2013).

I'm not sure if they will record flights to other countries, though. kennykill, can you confirm this? Those flights which were recorded, were they all US-bound?

keesio said:
I guess it came into effect last year. i knew it was coming sometime. Also interesting that they don't collect exit info for American citizens. I winder if US immigration doesn't want to share that info for whatever reason or if CBSA doesn't bother. You figure they would care since there are Americans who also immigrate to Canada (like myself).

For US citizens, I believe they will start tracking their movements as well starting June 30 2014 (Phase III), at least on the CBSA side

(Phase III) By June 30, 2014, the expansion of the Entry/Exit Initiative to include the exchange of Biographic Entry Data on all travellers at all automated land border ports of entry

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agence/reports-rapports/pia-efvp/atip-aiprp/ee-es-phase-2-eng.html#_ftn3

kennykill

Jun 15, 2011
meyakanor said:
I think they will only record exits if a PR (who is also a non-US citizen) is travelling to the US through land borders (starting June 30 2013).

I'm not sure if they will record flights to other countries, though. kennykill, can you confirm this? Those flights which were recorded, were they all US-bound?
The flights where my exit was recorded have been to Europe directly, none via the States.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Its noticeable that CBSA are now routinely doing pre-boarding checks...they say its currency checks but they seem pretty interested in passport stamps!

jojok9

Aug 10, 2009
keesio said:
kennykill - that is pretty interesting. Thanks for sharing

To jojok9 - could you not simply cut your trip short a few days so you are not in breach of your RO when you come back?
Hi,

From the different opinion, I would think about how to postpone my planned trip for a week, which could be safe for trouble free re-entry.

sammy_2401

Star Member
Jan 18, 2014
Hi,

I too got such a report, but it does not have my exit entries.

I had 2 exits from Toronto (Pearson) Airport, but none were available in my report.

For your information.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
jojok9 said:
Hi,

From the different opinion, I would think about how to postpone my planned trip for a week, which could be safe for trouble free re-entry.
However you do it, make sure you have over 730 days when you come back to Canada

worriedanxious007

Star Member
Jul 30, 2013
Hi! Was just wondering are those six exit dates ALL to do with US-Canada crossings via air and land or do they include exits to Europe and UK also?