Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Having said all this, the OP made it clear that the application had passed only the initial stages (DM for the sponsor). I'm very tempted to respond to the inappropriate advice given as well but I think that it's already been done. Please understand that this is not a marriage counseling OR religious proselytizing forum.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
driftcars said:
Could be....., only if there is proof or evident showing their marital status had changed when the applicant landed and CIC was not notified.
yeah that's what I meant. if the couple have legally separated. divorce doesn't happen prior to a year of separation in normal cases. it applies if the process is ongoing as well. the applicant can't land if the relationship is off and the blame may be shared with the sponsor then.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zardoz said:
Having said all this, the OP made it clear that the application had passed only the initial stages (DM for the sponsor). I'm very tempted to respond to the inappropriate advice given as well but I think that it's already been done. Please understand that this is not a marriage counseling OR religious proselytizing forum.
if you read another post by the OP (one mentioned by scylla), the applicant got DM as well and was waiting for the CoPR.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
chakrab said:
if you read another post by the OP (one mentioned by scylla), the applicant got DM as well and was waiting for the CoPR.
Wonder why she said "initial stages"? Reading her previous posts, there is nothing that indicates that the applicant has landed and become a permanent resident. If this is the case, the sponsorship application can still be withdrawn. Oh well...

Mrs.Purcy

Star Member
Apr 18, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-05-14
Med's Done....
01-24-14
Edin2Van said:
I know you mean well with this advice, but frankly it's incredibly irresponsible.

Mrs.Purcy has quite understandably decided she doesn't want to be with someone who is abusive towards her. It is not right for you, or anyone else on this board, to try and talk her out of it when she posts here asking for help.
he has landed as PR and lives with me at the moment. I don't want to be with him for another 2 years and I surely don't want him here benefiting from me

also I don't want to be with him. there's no reasoning. he's an abusive person physically and emotionally. I can't do it anymore. it's been a very long time coming and not an easy decision especially when you love that person. but enough is enough.

also back in March I did post but I thought things would get better and change and they haven't nor will they ever and I now know this indefinitely. I'm kicking him out he just has to grab things. I can't do it anymore. I don't want to be counselled about my marriage. I was only giving you a minor detail about my reasoning to cancel this entirely. I have thought about this for a loooong time.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Mrs.Purcy said:
he has landed as PR and lives with me at the moment. I don't want to be with him for another 2 years and I surely don't want him here benefiting from me

also I don't want to be with him. there's no reasoning. he's an abusive person physically and emotionally. I can't do it anymore. it's been a very long time coming and not an easy decision especially when you love that person. but enough is enough.

also back in March I did post but I thought things would get better and change and they haven't nor will they ever and I now know this indefinitely. I'm kicking him out he just has to grab things. I can't do it anymore. I don't want to be counselled about my marriage. I was only giving you a minor detail about my reasoning to cancel this entirely. I have thought about this for a loooong time.
So, back to your original question. No, you cannot stop sponsoring him. If he has Condition 51 on his COPR, you can report the cessation of cohabitation, once he has chosen to leave the matrimonial home, to CIC. You cannot "kick him out" either. His departure has to be consensual or by court order, because whether you like it or not, he has legal rights. Time to speak with a good divorce lawyer....

Panamai

Oct 3, 2013
Kingston, Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
29-01-2015
AOR Received.
28-03-2015
File Transfer...
31-03-2015
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
16-01-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
DM 05-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-11-2015
LANDED..........
23-11-2015
zardoz said:
So, back to your original question. No, you cannot stop sponsoring him. If he has Condition 51 on his COPR, you can report the cessation of cohabitation, once he has chosen to leave the matrimonial home, to CIC. You cannot "kick him out" either. His departure has to be consensual or by court order, because whether you like it or not, he has legal rights. Time to speak with a good divorce lawyer....
So this holds true even in cases of abuse? I would like to think that no one would be forced to remain in contact with and support their abuser financially after ending the relationship. That's just cruel.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Panamai said:
So this holds true even in cases of abuse? I would like to think that no one would be forced to remain in contact with and support their abuser financially after ending the relationship. That's just cruel.
You did see the "by court order" regarding the matrimonial home, didn't you?
As far as the financial commitment is concerned, yes I believe that it is still enforced.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3900ETOC.asp
Important information: The undertaking is an unconditional promise of support. For example, the granting of Canadian citizenship, divorce, separation or relationship breakdown or moving to another province does not cancel the undertaking. The undertaking also remains in effect even if your financial situation deteriorates.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Jamesdavid3 said:
Couldn't you just both go your separate ways and let him keep his PR?
Bad idea for her if he is under Condition 51. Not only is she required to report that Condition 51 is being violated, but letting him stay as PR puts her on the hook for any social assistance he receives for the first 3 years as a PR (if he goes on welfare, she has to pay the government back). There have been many old cases where the sponsored spouse ditches the sponsor and then goes on welfare (forcing the sponsor to pay for it) for a double whammy. It's the main reason why Condition 51 was created in the first place. It's her main "out" here. Why would the OP want to do her abusive partner such a huge favor and ignore the opportunity to report him and potentially get out her responsibility to help support him for 3 years?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
keesio said:
Bad idea for her if he is under Condition 51. Not only is she required to report that Condition 51 is being violated, but letting him stay as PR puts her on the hook for any social assistance he receives for the first 3 years as a PR (if he goes on welfare, she has to pay the government back). There have been many old cases where the sponsored spouse ditches the sponsor and then goes on welfare (forcing the sponsor to pay for it) for a double whammy. It's the main reason why Condition 51 was created in the first place. It's her main "out" here. Why would the OP want to do her abusive partner such a huge favor and ignore the opportunity to report him and potentially get out her responsibility to help support him for 3 years?
The Condition 51 and having to provide financial support are not linked together. Every sponsor (Condition 51 or not) is `on the hook, financially' for three years after the person lands.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Jamesdavid3 said:
Couldn't you just both go your separate ways and let him keep his PR?
Bad advice. If he goes on welfare that's tens of thousands out of her pocket for three years. If he has condition 51, she should report the relationship breakdown to CIC immediately to protect herself.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Ponga said:
The Condition 51 and having to provide financial support are not linked together. Every sponsor (Condition 51 or not) is `on the hook, financially' for three years after the person lands.
Yes but Condition 51 give the sponsor a way to get the person's PR status revoked so the person can't get government assistance anymore

Mrs.Purcy

Star Member
Apr 18, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-05-14
Med's Done....