+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How can I sponsor my brother

Loulou79

Apr 11, 2012
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello There,

I am alone in Canada and want to sponsor my brother. I'm unemployed, can I still sponsor him? what if he brought a certain amount with him??

Have you heard of similar cases?

from the CIC website:

You can sponsor:

brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, granddaughters or grandsons who are orphaned, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship
another relative of any age or relationship but only under specific conditions (see Note below)
accompanying relatives of the above (for example, spouse, partner and dependent children).

Note: You can sponsor one relative regardless of age or relationship only if you do not have a living spouse or common-law partner, conjugal partner, a son or daughter, parent, grandparent, sibling, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece who could be sponsored as a member of the family class, and you do not have any relative who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident or registered as an Indian under the Indian Act.

Regards,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Are either or both of your parents still alive?

You can't sponsor other family members if you're unemployed. It doesn't matter if he has funds. You must be employed and must meet the income requirements.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Just looked through your old posts. It looks like at least one of your parents is still alive and your brother is around 22 or 23. If so, then you can't sponsor your brother. He will have to qualify to immigrate independently.

You can sponsor your parent(s) once you are employed and have earned enough income for three years straight to meet the low income cut off.

Loulou79

Apr 11, 2012
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks a lot for ur reply Scylla. According to the CIC website. If I am alone in Canada, I can sponsor a relative regardess of age.

You can sponsor:

brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, granddaughters or grandsons who are orphaned, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship
another relative of any age or relationship but only under specific conditions (see Note below)
accompanying relatives of the above (for example, spouse, partner and dependent children).

Note: You can sponsor one relative regardless of age or relationship only if you do not have a living spouse or common-law partner, conjugal partner, a son or daughter, parent, grandparent, sibling, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece who could be sponsored as a member of the family class, and you do not have any relative who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident or registered as an Indian under the Indian Act.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Loulou79 said:
Thanks a lot for ur reply Scylla. According to the CIC website. If I am alone in Canada, I can sponsor a relative regardess of age.

You can sponsor:

You really don't read the answers you were given. If either of your parents or grandparents are alive, or if you have a brother/sister/aunt/uncle/niece/nephew in Canada, then you CANT sponsor your brother.

Loulou79

Apr 11, 2012
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
for those who are alone in Canada and want to sponsor a relative, read the last three lines in my above previous posts.

petersiddle28

Oct 12, 2013
Loulou79 said:
for those who are alone in Canada and want to sponsor a relative, read the last three lines in my above previous posts.
Doesnt matter if you are alone in Canada - if you have a living relative - living spouse or common-law partner, conjugal partner, a son or daughter, parent, grandparent, sibling, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece, then you cannot.

You are arguing a moot point

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Loulou79 said:
Do you have a mother or father who is still alive like scylla mentioned? If you do, then you cannot sponsor your brother.

Your question has been asked many many times by others. CIC needs to clarify the wording. I admit that can be a bit confusing.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Loulou79 said:
Again, you have at least one parent who is alive (per your previous posts). This means you can't sponsor your brother.

You can keep asking the same question over and over again - but the answer is going to be the same.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
keesio said:
CIC needs to clarify the wording. I admit that can be a bit confusing.
Yes they really should.

if you do not have a living spouse or common-law partner, conjugal partner, a son or daughter, parent, grandparent, sibling, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece who could be sponsored as a member of the family class

There is a parent/grandparent sponsorship program, so any parents or grandparents alive anywhere in the world can be "sponsored as a member of the family class". So this would make you ineligible for sponsoring some other family member that is not usually considered a member of the family class (like brother, niece, uncle, etc).

Only if the PR/citizen in Canada has no relatives whatsoever also living in Canada, and who's parents/grandparents are deceased, could sponsor any one of their family.

zahooruddin

Jan 9, 2017
Hi

one of my brother lives in Afghanistan, and he is single but my parents are deceased and I have my spouse and child here as well, so can I sponsor him, if yes please let me know how and where to apply for the application.

Louman64

Sep 22, 2016
scarborough toronto
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
10-04-2019
Doc's Request.
No news yet
zahooruddin said:
Hi

one of my brother lives in Afghanistan, and he is single but my parents are deceased and I have my spouse and child here as well, so can I sponsor him, if yes please let me know how and where to apply for the application.
Note: You can sponsor one relative regardless of age or relationship only [size=10pt]if you do not have a living spouse or common-law partner[/size], conjugal partner, a son or daughter, parent, grandparent, sibling, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece who could be sponsored as a member of the family class, and you do not have any relative who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident or registered as an Indian under the Indian Act.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
zahooruddin said:
Hi

No, you have a spouse/child so you can't sponsor him.

Kulsum1985

Oct 19, 2017
Hello There,

I am alone in Canada and want to sponsor my brother. I'm unemployed, can I still sponsor him? what if he brought a certain amount with him??

Have you heard of similar cases?

from the CIC website:

You can sponsor:

Regards,
I am living with my spouse and 2 children .can i sponsor my brother and sister .my brother and sister are both above 18 years old