+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How can I extend my landing date?

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
I know the question in the title is a little strange.

My medicals are valid until January 2020, and I got my PPR.
Due to my situation, I can't land in Canada by January 2020, so I'm planning on asking for an extension.

Should I ask for this after getting my CoPR, or before?
Should I contact the IRCC via the online webform?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Due to my situation, I can't land in Canada by January 2020, so I'm planning on asking for an extension.

Extensions to landing dates are almost never granted. It's use it or lose it. You don't have to move to Canada by that date. You just have to travel to Canada by that date to land and become a PR. You can leave Canada again the same day if you have obligations elsewhere.

WarHammer

May 17, 2018

It is very difficult to ask for an extension. In fact the expiry date on your one time visa depends on your medical expiry time stamp. Doesn’t hurt to try but will be an arduous task.

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
Thank you both for your comments.
The IRCC won't revoke my PPR if I say I may not be able to land by January (when my medicals expire), right?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The IRCC won't revoke my PPR if I say I may not be able to land by January (when my medicals expire), right?
If you COPR expires then you can’t land and you’ll need to apply again. Would not count on an extension. Why can’t you land? You can land and then return to your home country that day if you want so there aren’t a lot of reasons why you can’t actually land.

WarHammer

May 17, 2018
I don’t know if revoke is right word but for all practical purposes you lose your application.

You will have begin from scratch .. starting with getting an ITA.

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
I'm writing my thesis, and I don't know if I'll be able to make time until January. Money is also an issue since I'm still a student.
I was wondering if I can get an extension so I can plan for a big move after graduating.
I understand that you can do a soft landing for a day, but it's not as simple as that. But if it comes down to it, I'll do it.

I haven't sent my documents yet to get my CoPR, so I haven't received it yet.

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
I don’t know if revoke is right word but for all practical purposes you lose your application.

You will have begin from scratch .. starting with getting an ITA.
Interesting. Good to know that my PPR will get withdrawn if I ask for more time.

I think I get the gist now. Thank you all for replying

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Interesting. Good to know that my PPR will get withdrawn if I ask for more time.

I think I get the gist now. Thank you all for replying
It's not going to be withdrawn if you ask for more time. It will be withdrawn if you fail to land before the expiry of your COPR.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I'm writing my thesis, and I don't know if I'll be able to make time until January. Money is also an issue since I'm still a student.
I was wondering if I can get an extension so I can plan for a big move after graduating.
I understand that you can do a soft landing for a day, but it's not as simple as that. But if it comes down to it, I'll do it.

I haven't sent my documents yet to get my CoPR, so I haven't received it yet.
Pretty much the only situations where IRCC has ever extended the landing has been in dire medical circumstances or pregnancy/birth of a child.

You should be planning to soft land.