+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hong Kong timeline

marlander

Jan 17, 2018
Thought it might be best to post this question in the Hong Kong timeline thread too as others may have experience with it:

Hi everyone,

I am sponsoring my wife for PR in Canada. She was born and lives in Hong Kong and therefore has a Hong Kong passport and a Hong Kong permanent identity card.

On the CIC website for "Country Specific Requirements", it lists the following for the Hong Kong SAR:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hong Kong SAR – Instruction(s) for documents
  • Persons born in the People’s Republic of China since 1996 must submit a notarized copy of the original Medical Certificate of Birth issued by the Ministry of Health of the People's Republic of China. (If this is not available, you must submit an explanation as to why this document cannot be submitted.)
  • If you hold a passport from this country, you and your family members included in the application must provide:
    • The household register called the “hukou”.
    • Proof of marital status for children 16 years of age and older.
  • For divorces obtained in the Special Administrative Region of Hong Kong, please provide an “Absolute nisi decree”.
  • If residing in this jurisdiction (or another jurisdiction where Chinese is used for mail delivery): Where indicated, provide your address in Chinese characters as well as in Pinyin or English, including postal code. The mailing address you provide must be the residential address of a person or the business address of a firm. A post office box number is not acceptable.
  • Also include eight (8) address labels with the mailing address in Chinese characters.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Are you only required to submit the household register("hukou") if you hold a passport from Mainland China? My understanding is that the Hong Kong SAR does not have a "hukou" system so this is not something that a Hong Kong resident would have, need or be able to provide. For reference, her parents were born in Mainland China but they both also have Hong Kong passports and Hong Kong permanent identity cards.

2) Is it necessary to "provide your address in Chinese characters as well as in Pinyin or English, including postal code" and "include eight (8) address labels with the mailing address in Chinese characters" for an address in Hong Kong? Hong Kong uses English for mail delivery and as far as I know we do not have a postal code.

Thanks for your guys help

Lucky2018

Star Member
Mar 23, 2017
Thought it might be best to post this question in the Hong Kong timeline thread too as others may have experience with it:

Hi everyone,

I am sponsoring my wife for PR in Canada. She was born and lives in Hong Kong and therefore has a Hong Kong passport and a Hong Kong permanent identity card.

On the CIC website for "Country Specific Requirements", it lists the following for the Hong Kong SAR:

Hong Kong SAR – Instruction(s) for documents
  • Persons born in the People’s Republic of China since 1996 must submit a notarized copy of the original Medical Certificate of Birth issued by the Ministry of Health of the People's Republic of China. (If this is not available, you must submit an explanation as to why this document cannot be submitted.)
  • If you hold a passport from this country, you and your family members included in the application must provide:
    • The household register called the “hukou”.
    • Proof of marital status for children 16 years of age and older.
  • For divorces obtained in the Special Administrative Region of Hong Kong, please provide an “Absolute nisi decree”.
  • If residing in this jurisdiction (or another jurisdiction where Chinese is used for mail delivery): Where indicated, provide your address in Chinese characters as well as in Pinyin or English, including postal code. The mailing address you provide must be the residential address of a person or the business address of a firm. A post office box number is not acceptable.
  • Also include eight (8) address labels with the mailing address in Chinese characters.

1) Are you only required to submit the household register("hukou") if you hold a passport from Mainland China? My understanding is that the Hong Kong SAR does not have a "hukou" system so this is not something that a Hong Kong resident would have, need or be able to provide. For reference, her parents were born in Mainland China but they both also have Hong Kong passports and Hong Kong permanent identity cards.

2) Is it necessary to "provide your address in Chinese characters as well as in Pinyin or English, including postal code" and "include eight (8) address labels with the mailing address in Chinese characters" for an address in Hong Kong? Hong Kong uses English for mail delivery and as far as I know we do not have a postal code.

Thanks for your guys help

1/ Just copy your HKID card
2/ in English for mail address

hope it help!

Almostmove

Star Member
Jul 23, 2017
I received email and get the update under GCkey "My application is approved"

Waiting land paper, hope this week.

Congratulation ;) May I know when did you get the email and the GCKey updated? Did you sent your passport? you mean you got PPR?
we are same batch, pre-arrival at Feb10 and DM at Feb22nd, but I did not get any update after.:(

Last edited:

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
Congratulation ;) May I know when did you get the email and the GCKey updated? Did you sent your passport? you mean you got PPR?
we are same batch, pre-arrival at Feb10 and DM at Feb22nd, but I did not get any update after.:(
I think what he meant is that he is now waiting the PPR arrival. Btw, congrats to both of you.

Reactions: Almostmove

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
A bit different, my GCKey remains the same and did not shown "My application is approved".:confused:
Mmm, his post wasn't clear enough to determine what exactly his situation is at now. The email he mentioned in his post could be PPR or pre-arrival letter. Anyway, I heard that sometimes it could take a month for VO to send PPR after DM. And the delay from HKVO could be because of the Chinese New Year festival. The festival was officially ended just in last Friday. And March 05 is actually the first day that HKVO resumes their business after the Chinese New Year festival.

Reactions: Almostmove

huey9

Aug 3, 2017
Hong Kong
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
19-06-2017
AOR Received.
21-07-2017
Med's Request
28-07-2017
Does anyone know the validity of PPR (i.e. how many days to submit passport) from HKVO? I'm in the same situation as some of you (DM in ECAS, no GCKey, no email) and I am asking because I may be out of town for a few weeks soon.

Also, how many months validity is required for the passport?

Thanks everyone!

Reactions: Kaenicolas

huey9

Aug 3, 2017
Hong Kong
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
19-06-2017
AOR Received.
21-07-2017
Med's Request
28-07-2017
I got the email and final approval by Mar 3. As I know HK citizen no need to submit passport, HKVO will send the land paper to us. Will update when I received it.
Congratulations! Yes, please update us on how things proceed. :)

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
Does anyone know the validity of PPR (i.e. how many days to submit passport) from HKVO? I'm in the same situation as some of you (DM in ECAS, no GCKey, no email) and I am asking because I may be out of town for a few weeks soon.

Thanks everyone!
PPR is valid for 30 days. And in general speaking, it requires the validity of passport for min. 12 months from majority of VOs, some VOs requires min. 6 months.

Reactions: huey9

Kaenicolas

Star Member
Oct 28, 2017

Thanks everyone!
Can i ask what month did u send your application?