+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help with claiming asylum

AliceF3231

Jun 15, 2022
I hold a work permit in Canada, and I am in the process of applying for PR through non-express entry (PNP).

My family applied for a visitor visa to visit me based on my work permit, and they are planning to start the process of claiming asylum when they arrive. My concern is: will it affect me and my application for PR and, eventually, the citizenship? Would their application affect the rest of the family? or is it totally independent even if the visit visa was based on my status?

Thank you so much

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I hold a work permit in Canada, and I am in the process of applying for PR through non-express entry (PNP).

My family applied for a visitor visa to visit me based on my work permit, and they are planning to start the process of claiming asylum when they arrive. My concern is: will it affect me and my application for PR and, eventually, the citizenship? Would their application affect the rest of the family? or is it totally independent even if the visit visa was based on my status?

Thank you so much
Who are these family members to you specifically? How are they related to you?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My parents, and possibly my brother. My parents got a visitor visa approval, but my brother not yet.
No impact to your PR application. They are not classified as your dependents.

cyberlink

Aug 10, 2020

Thank you so much
If they are not your dependants there is no harm to you at all.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Thank you so much
You may have difficulty having other family members visit you if they claim asylum after you invited them. Their application can affect your extended family getting work, study or visitor visas. Have you consulted with an immigration lawyer about their chances of success? If denied it will be very difficult for them to visit Canada or travel/work/study in many other countries. What country are they from? It looks like none of your family have TRVs yet which also may be a problem.