+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP!! WIFE WANTS TO ASK FOR SOCIAL ASSISTANCE FOR CHILD

dulman

Star Member
Dec 4, 2008
HI ALL,
MY WIFE WANTS TO ASK FOR SOCIAL ASSISTANCE FOR OUR BABY WHILE AM STILL WAITING FOR PR DECISSION,COZ SHE IS STRAINING OVERTHERE AS SINGLE MOTHER WITHOUT ME. IS THAT GOING TO AFFECT OUR APPLICATION? PLEASE HELP BEFORE WE DO ANYTHING STUPID?

awor

Nov 4, 2010
Oregon to Alberta
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> LA
App. Filed.......
26 Aug 2011
AOR Received.
15 Dec 2011
File Transfer...
[b]CPC-M to Buffalo:[/b] 03 Nov 2011 [b]Buffalo to LA:[/b] 19 Jan 2012
Med's Done....
11 Apr 2011 [b]Ecas shows received [/b]5 Mar 2012
Passport Req..
7 Mar 2012 [b]Decision Made[/b]: 1 Apr 2012
VISA ISSUED...
29 Mar 2012 [b] CORP Received[/b]: 19 Apr 2012
LANDED..........
Sumas: 25 April 2012 / [b]PR Cards Received[/b]: 4 July 2012
Edited, for whatever reason I thought your were the sponsor. She definitely can't go on social assistance while sponsoring you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Based on your previous posts - you partner is the Canadian who is sponsoring you for PR.

If this is correct and your partner is the Canadian who is sponsoring you - then she cannot go on social assistance. If she goes on social assistance, your application will be refused.

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
Can you send her money? perhaps whatever you have in your homeland?

MrsCasanova

Jul 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Guatemala
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-09-2009
Doc's Request.
01-17-2010
Med's Request
10 - 07- 2009
Med's Done....
0 - 07 - 2009
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
01-17-2010
VISA ISSUED...
17-05-2011
LANDED..........
18-06-2011
dulman said:
HI ALL,
MY WIFE WANTS TO ASK FOR SOCIAL ASSISTANCE FOR OUR BABY WHILE STILL WAITING FOR PR,COZ SHE IS STRAINING OVERTHERE AS SINGLE MOTHER WITHOUT ME. IS THAT GOING TO AFFECT OUR APPLICATION? PLEASE HELP BEFORE WE DO ANYTHING STUPID?
No if she goes on social assistance she cannot sponsor you. She will be denied.

dulman

Star Member
Dec 4, 2008
hi mrscasanova,
she is my sponsor and i am the sponsored now waiting for decission after interview. she thought the cic will not know about it and when i come over she stop it.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dulman said:
hi mrscasanova,
she is my sponsor and i am the sponsored now waiting for decission after interview. she thought the cic will not know about it and when i come over she stop it.
She thought wrong.

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
she can apply for whatever child tax credits are available within her province, the universal child care benefit (if available in your province), the national working benefit (not sure what the official name of this is, the form has ducks on it in Ontario), and whatever daycare subsidities might be available in her area... none of these are considered social assistance and may help make ends meet if she hasn't already leveraged them

MrsCasanova

Jul 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Guatemala
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-09-2009
Doc's Request.
01-17-2010
Med's Request
10 - 07- 2009
Med's Done....
0 - 07 - 2009
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
01-17-2010
VISA ISSUED...
17-05-2011
LANDED..........
18-06-2011
dulman said:
hi mrscasanova,
dont lie or try to hide anything, they WILL find out, and if they think you are being decietful you will be banned from canada for five years and refused residence

Cdagal

Jul 23, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-07-2010
AOR Received.
24-08-2010
File Transfer...
09-08-2010
Med's Done....
23-04-2010
Interview........
11-11-2010
Passport Req..
11-11-2010
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
02-03-2011
Alice100/Lena...you are providing him with incorrect information, obviously your intention is not to harm but the affects of this could be huge for them.
Dulman, your wife is NOT eligible to be your sponsor if she is in receipt of Welfare or an undischarged bankrupt. There is no way around this and it is not subject to interpretation. If she is on Welfare, you will be denied. There are many community programs that she can access for help (the food bank, Healthy Baby programs, sudsidized daycare, etc..) Raising a baby on your own is difficult, I know, I have raised 2 by myself...but it is not impossible. What area does your wife live in..maybe some forum members can help to connect you with appropriate community programs in her area...Good luck and god bless.

Lori

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Lena,

You are wrong and are providing horrible advice that could very negatively impact someone else's life. Please do some more reading and research before you comment further.

Read section E (Eligibility Assessment) in the Application to Sponsor and Undertaking IMM1344EA.

And I quote:

If you answer 'yes' to any questions 5 to 13, you are not eligible to sponsor. You should not submit your application.

Question #5: Are you in receipt of social assistance for any reason other than disability?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM1344EA.pdf

Kedeisha

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
does this mean that even tho the app was approve to sponsor the person by cpcm its now sent to other office they still cant apply for welfare

SmoothiesQueen

Jun 18, 2010
Jamaica
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 21 2011
Med's Done....
Oct 24th 2011
Alice/lena you are wrong...beyond wrong...beyond WRONG!! You should really removed your replies before someone takes your word and royally screws themselves over. Your advice could cause a family to be torn apart and refused PR!!

I was just on the phone with Canadian immigration for another issue and asked about this, the Immigration rep said you most certianly CANNOT go on social assistance unless you want as above poster stated, to be denied your PR and have your application refused. If you lie about it, you can be banned from Canada for a period of time as well. This all straight from the lips of immigration themselves!!

Dulman...do not listen to Alice...no offense to Alice whose intentions were to help....I just would HATE to see you and your family put in a terrible situation by your spouse going on social assistance and you being denied PR. YOU CANNOT GO ON SOCIAL ASSISTANCE...IF YOU LIE ABOUT IT...YOU WILL BE FOUND OUT...YOU WILL BE BANNED FROM CANADA. YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE DENIED IF YOUR SPOUSE GOES ON SOCIAL ASSISTANCE!!!

SmoothiesQueen

Jun 18, 2010
Jamaica
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 21 2011
Med's Done....
Oct 24th 2011
Nope Kedeisha...no welfare. When everyone is Canadian citzens and there is no longer an immigration involved, I believe you can then.

But while any of the party is still a Permanent resident, and someone is still legally tied in as the sponser...there can be no social assistance...no known exceptions to my knowledge!!

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Section 133 (1)(K) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations says she is NOT eligible to be a sponsor if she goes on welfare before a FINAL decision is made on the application.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/page-67.html

133. (1) A sponsorship application shall only be approved by an officer if, on the day on which the application was filed and from that day until the day a decision is made with respect to the application, there is evidence that the sponsor....

(k) is not in receipt of social assistance for a reason other than disability.

This looks like it implies that since the sponsorship part of the application has been approved that she is home free. But that's not what it means. It means the day in which a decision is made on the application for PR of the person she sponsored. If a VO assessing the PR application looks for current verification of her income and finds out she is on welfare, the sponsorship eligibility will be revoked and PR application refused. There is a chance that they may not look. But if they do...

Section 39 of IRPA must also be satisfied:

39. A foreign national is inadmissible for financial reasons if they are or will be unable or unwilling to support themself or any other person who is dependent on them, and have not satisfied an officer that adequate arrangements for care and support, other than those that involve social assistance, have been made.

If her income is already low, they WILL look at their ability to be self-sufficient when/if the spouse is awarded the PR visa. They can/will look at his ability to find a job in Canada and earn an income to contribute to the support of his family. There have been a few cases refused based on this even when sponsorship has been approved.

Nobody is questioning her eligibility or need for social assistance. She CAN apply for it and receive it. But the law says that she is NOT eligible to be a sponsor if she is in receipt of it (other than for disability) for the DURATION of the processing of the application. This law came into effect in 2002.

It may be harsh and unfair and I wouldn't suggest she starve either!!! Of course not! But the reality is that it's a matter of priorities. It may be in her best interests to withdraw the sponsorship and wait to apply again when she is back on her feet.