+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[Help] Question about employment reference?

nis4

Star Member
Nov 16, 2015
Asivad Anac said:
As many lines as NOCs. Designations don't matter.
Can I please ask a follow up on this.
Do we need separate reference letter for each designation in the same NOC or just the reference letter for last position would be sufficient.
In my case , I was a Systems Engineer Trainee for about 1 month before being designated as Systems Engineer. The trainee role was paid and full-time and in same NOC as Systems Engineer. Should I submit two separate reference letters for both desigs?

kashjuni

Jul 28, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nis4 said:
Can I please ask a follow up on this.
Do we need separate reference letter for each designation in the same NOC or just the reference letter for last position would be sufficient.
In my case , I was a Systems Engineer Trainee for about 1 month before being designated as Systems Engineer. The trainee role was paid and full-time and in same NOC as Systems Engineer. Should I submit two separate reference letters for both desigs?
One reference letter is enough.you can mention something like this "Positions held by XXX during the tenure are as follows
Systems Engineer Trainee (Mon/Year to Mon/Year), Systems Engineer (Mon/year to Mon/year) and so on.

Nalanda

Star Member
Dec 16, 2015
Hi Nis4,

I am also in the same situation. Even I started as Assistant Systems Engineer-Trainee (1 year), then promoted to Assistant Systems Engineer (1.4 years) and then promoted to Systems Engineer (8 months). Three years, my duties were almost same and all of the three designations have same NOC duties like 2173. My company gave me only one reference.

After a lot of struggle (started in May), I received by experience letter from the HR of my previous employer. They have mentioned only the following information. But I requested all the information listed below.

TO WHOMSOEVER IT MAY CONCERN

This is to certify that Mr. AAA was full time employed with YYY Consultancy Services Limited from July 28, XXXX to October 27, XXXX.

While leaving our organization, he was designated as a Systems Engineer.

During his employment with YYY Consultancy Services Limited, he was responsible for the following:-
task1
task2
task3
task4
task5

(Please note: Skills and responsibilities specified are as declared by the employee and approved by the last supervisor. This information is to the best of our knowledge and without prejudice).

We wish him all the best for his future endeavors.

For YYY Consultancy Services Limited.

ZZZZZ
Deputy Head - Human Resources

Company's address, website, phone number and fax number

Things covered in the letter
- Employee number
- Designation while I resigned from the company
- Full-time employee
- Task and duties performed
- Signature of the deputy head of HR department and his name and designation below
- In company's letterhead
- With company's address, email address, website, phone number and fax number

Below things which are not mentioned in the letter
- All my designations and their time periods are missing (Paystubs has my designation)
- Salary and benefits are missing (I have 3 years paystubs copies, offer letter, salary increment letter, service certificate with salary on it)
- Mentioned only full-time( permanent is missing)
- Number of hours per week is missing

nis4

Star Member
Nov 16, 2015
Nalanda said:
Hi Nis4,

I am also in the same situation. Even I started as Assistant Systems Engineer-Trainee (1 year), then promoted to Assistant Systems Engineer (1.4 years) and then promoted to Systems Engineer (8 months). Three years, my duties were almost same and all of the three designations have same NOC duties like 2173. My company gave me only one reference.
Hi Nalanda,

- All my designations and their time periods are missing (Paystubs has my designation)
I think if your paystubs have the designations , then you can point that in your LoE and attach your paystubs to support it. You can briefly mention the designations in your tenure and refer to the paystubs. As your letter mentions, "during his employment...", my hope would be that the case officer sees that the responsibilities apply to all designations.

A question I have been trying to answer for myself throughout this is , do we even need to be so specific? I sometimes feel I am inviting questions my talking about designations but then again we do not want to misrepresent any information. so, ya I am leaning towards being as clear as possible with the truth.

"

- Salary and benefits are missing (I have 3 years paystubs copies, offer letter, salary increment letter, service certificate with salary on it)
Same here. But my hope is that the salary and benefits in the offer letter would serve the purpose.

Don't worry about that. I read elsewhere on the forum that 'permanent' title is only important for LMIA based offers as they want to ensure its not seasonal. With about 3 years exp, it should be evident you were a permanent employee.
ya would have been nice to have that detail but wouldn't full time serve the purpose in that case?

One more thing, is your offer letter signed by you? The offer letter copy I have is not signed by me, its the initial ecpoy the company sent. I hope it works.. as other documents actually show that I did accept the offer eventually.

Nalanda

Star Member
Dec 16, 2015
nis4 said:
Hi Nalanda,

I think if your paystubs have the designations , then you can point that in your LoE and attach your paystubs to support it. You can briefly mention the designations in your tenure and refer to the paystubs. As your letter mentions, "during his employment...", my hope would be that the case officer sees that the responsibilities apply to all designations.

A question I have been trying to answer for myself throughout this is , do we even need to be so specific? I sometimes feel I am inviting questions my talking about designations but then again we do not want to misrepresent any information. so, ya I am leaning towards being as clear as possible with the truth.

"

Same here. But my hope is that the salary and benefits in the offer letter would serve the purpose.

Don't worry about that. I read elsewhere on the forum that 'permanent' title is only important for LMIA based offers as they want to ensure its not seasonal. With about 3 years exp, it should be evident you were a permanent employee.
ya would have been nice to have that detail but wouldn't full time serve the purpose in that case?

One more thing, is your offer letter signed by you? The offer letter copy I have is not signed by me, its the initial ecpoy the company sent. I hope it works.. as other documents actually show that I did accept the offer eventually.
Hi Nis4,

If you were doing different duties for each of the designations. Then it is better to get a single letter like below format.

designation 1
duration1
salary1
duties list:

designation2
duration2
salary2
duties list:

I requested my project manager to provide a letter with all information. I am going to get a letter on a plain paper with his designations and contact information. I am not sure, whether I will be able to notarize it. I am in Canada and he is in India.

I didnt get you regarding the offer letter signature part. What do you mean by "offer letter signed by you"?