+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help Needed: Police Certificate Questions.

TeAmoSweetheart

Sep 7, 2017
My husband is from the USA. He has been staying in Canada with me since July 3, 2017 as a visitor. My questions are about the police certificates needed for our Spousal Sponsorship Application. It is now required that the police certificates be sent right away with the application. I have some questions...

1] Does my husband have to provide a Police Certificate from the USA?

2] He has a local police department certificate from the city in which he lived. Is this sufficient or does he need to mail away for an FBI police certificate?

3] Since my husband has been staying in Canada for over 6 months, do we need to provide a Canadian Police Certificate in addition to a USA Police Certificate?

4] In order to get a Canadian criminal record check, we need an application form from the RCMP website. I cannot find it anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find it?

5] Also, for fingerprints to be sent digitally to the CCRTIS, I need some kind of request form or something. How can I get this?

We are very confused and concerned because this is adding to the delay in our immigration process. We worked on the immigration forms from September 2017 - January 2018 and finally sent them only to have them return a few days ago (with a request for a missing document). So, now we have to do everything again - with a new checklist, new requirements, etc.

Help needed.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1) Yes
2) No - not sufficient. He needs the FBI cert.
3) No.
4) See #3
5) See #3

Reactions: TeAmoSweetheart

TeAmoSweetheart

Sep 7, 2017
1) Yes
2) No - not sufficient. He needs the FBI cert.
3) No.
4) See #3
5) See #3
Thank you for your reply. We are in a bit of a panic now because we thought that we had the right background checks (one stating that he has no criminal record in the state in which he lived and another stating that his fingerprints had been sent to the FBI and there is no criminal record). We believed that it was an FBI channeling partner who did this, as they were recommended by a police department in the USA. But, there is no "FBI letter" (as required by Canada Immigration). Now, it seems that we are far from ready with our application. So disappointed. :(

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your reply. We are in a bit of a panic now because we thought that we had the right background checks (one stating that he has no criminal record in the state in which he lived and another stating that his fingerprints had been sent to the FBI and there is no criminal record). We believed that it was an FBI channeling partner who did this, as they were recommended by a police department in the USA. But, there is no "FBI letter" (as required by Canada Immigration). Now, it seems that we are far from ready with our application. So disappointed. :(
FBI channeler reports are accepted - but it sounded like you were describing a state or other local police certificate (which wouldn't cut it). Maybe describe what you have more clearly?

TeAmoSweetheart

Sep 7, 2017
FBI channeler reports are accepted - but it sounded like you were describing a state or other local police certificate (which wouldn't cut it). Maybe describe what you have more clearly?
My husband received 2 pieces of paper (on State of Maryland letterhead) from this channeling partner. He received one paper stating that he had no criminal record in the state of Maryland and another paper stating that he had no criminal record with the FBI. Here is what the paper (regarding the FBI) says...
"Your request for a criminal history record check has been conducted. Information from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), based upon the fingerprint supported identification information indicated below, has been reviewed.

Name: (My husband's name here)
(His Sex, Race, and Date of Birth are listed on this line)

The FBI criminal history investigation has been completed.
The covered individual is not the subject of any criminal charge/charges."

Oct 10, 2017
Hi Everyone! :)

Hope you guys are having a good weekend. I have just started filling out the forms for my wife (Pakistani citizen, living in Karachi, Pakistan). I am using the very latest forms from CIC website. I noticed on their current update (feb 2018), they are asking for a Police certificate earlier than how it was previously. A couple of questions I had are...

1) Are there any instructions do my wife needs to follow for the police certificate? Can you point me to a link maybe? :)
2) She lived in Islamabad for some time as well but this was before she was 18. Does she still need to provide a police certificate from that city? OR does it have to be from Karachi, where she has resided for the past 10 years?

Thanks in advance guys! Appreciate all your help!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi Everyone! :)

Hope you guys are having a good weekend. I have just started filling out the forms for my wife (Pakistani citizen, living in Karachi, Pakistan). I am using the very latest forms from CIC website. I noticed on their current update (feb 2018), they are asking for a Police certificate earlier than how it was previously. A couple of questions I had are...

1) Are there any instructions do my wife needs to follow for the police certificate? Can you point me to a link maybe? :)
2) She lived in Islamabad for some time as well but this was before she was 18. Does she still need to provide a police certificate from that city? OR does it have to be from Karachi, where she has resided for the past 10 years?

Thanks in advance guys! Appreciate all your help!
1. See: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how.html
2. Only from Karachi