+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

help!live in caregiver to take CRPNE possible?

annabel04

Star Member
Jan 24, 2012
Hi guys!After one and a half years of struggle
of working as dh in hk,finally i'm here and landed
safely in canada.But I know this is only the
beginning of my real story.
I am currently under live in caregiver program
through my cousin and aunt's help as my
employer.It means that i'm not being paid, as
that was our agreement and it's fine with me.
I was a registered nurse in the Phillippines
without experience except of I were a private
nurse which was not considered as an experience.
Right now I was planning to register to
college of licenced practical nurse of alberta
(clpna) for credential assessment if I can take the
lpn exam.But I am worried if this action might
affect my permanent residency application in the
future because I am still at LIC
program..Furthermore, is it possible if ever i take
the lpn refresher challenge program without
affecting my working status as nanny?
Please help me.I'm browsin over the net to
find solution on my dilemma..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I don't understand how you can qualify for PR under LIC if you are not being paid. If you're not being paid, then that's a violation of the work permit and your experience can't be counted towards PR.

annabel04

Star Member
Jan 24, 2012
scylla said:
I don't understand how you can qualify for PR under LIC if you are not being paid. If you're not being paid, then that's a violation of the work permit and your experience can't be counted towards PR.
A lot of caregivers might understand what i am saying.Its between the employer and employee how can they resolve it.it's the reality here.
;)

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. You and your relatives have been lying to CIC.
2. CIC will caught you easy. And I am not going to give you tips how easy they will do it. :p
3. No, you cannot enroll into to ANY college or university program. It is not allowed under live in visa , and of course CIC will not change your live in visa to study permit.
You can try to register to the exam (I just do not know the rules about visa restrictions if any) but they look at the proved experience on top of education (for internationally trained nurses)

annabel04

Star Member
Jan 24, 2012
Regina said:
1. You and your relatives have been lying to CIC.
2. CIC will caught you easy. And I am not going to give you tips how easy they will do it. :p
3. No, you cannot enroll into to ANY college or university program. It is not allowed under live in visa , and of course CIC will not change your live in visa to study permit.
You can try to register to the exam (I just do not know the rules about visa restrictions if any) but they look at the proved experience on top of education (for internationally trained nurses)
Well thanks for the encouragement though :)
We are not lying coz we're doing things according to cic process.I dont wanna ellaborate it anymore.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

annabel04 said:
Well thanks for the encouragement though :)
We are not lying coz we're doing things according to cic process.I dont wanna ellaborate it anymore.
1. The relatives said that they were going to pay you $x when they applied for the LMO, and as they don't intend to pay you, they lied. That is not the way Immigration works. You accepted and abetted the lie.

orange_girl

Star Member
Jul 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-06-2014
Nomination.....
PER 18-10-2014
Med's Request
12-12-2014
Passport Req..
08-01-2015
VISA ISSUED...
13-01-2015
LANDED..........
27-01-2015
As a live-in caregiver you can apply for a study permit. If you decide to abandon your LIC program for any reason, you will be considered an international student on a study permit. The information that some people post here that you are not allowed to apply for a study permit is not valid. So, don't be intimidated, as a person on a work permit in Canada, you have a lot of benefits including free health care, ability to apply for a study/work permit from within Canada, and in some cases domestic tuition fees (e.g. if you are a live-in caregiver in Ontario). I've gone that route, I was a nanny and then I applied for a Study Permit. I am graduating this year. The only thing I regret is that I didn't find out about my options earlier and wasted a lot of time. You can send me a message if you need any additional information. I can't help you with nursing questions, but if you have questions about your immigration status, I can help you with that. I would like to point out that there are no short-cuts in Canada, and the best way to do things here is to do them legally. Not only it's a right thing to do but you also have a feeling that you deserved what you get. If CIC finds out the relation between you and your employer, they will refuse your PR application and you will have wasted a lot of time. So it's up to you what you do, but I recommend that you either find a legitimate employer here or switch your status to a student.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You MAY apply for student visa being on any visa in Canada including live in. The problem of the topic starter is their lie.
She will get a refusal because:
Her intent at the moment of application for live- in visa was not to work as live- in but to get into Canada. CIC is not stupid and does not encourage such things.

Your case IS different because you worked as a nanny first.

orange_girl

Star Member
Jul 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-06-2014
Nomination.....
PER 18-10-2014
Med's Request
12-12-2014
Passport Req..
08-01-2015
VISA ISSUED...
13-01-2015
LANDED..........
27-01-2015
Yes, she got here with a different purpose and if CIC finds out they will probably deport her, but there's IF..and no one with a common sense will declare that they cheated the system and try to get themselves deported. In her case what's done is done. She got her visa and work permit, if she continues to "work" for her aunt, she will be living in fear to get caught. But if she changes her employer and starts working like she's supposed to, she might be fine. Another option that I suggested is to change her status to a student if she has sufficient funds, because it seems like she wants to become a nurse in Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
annabel04 said:
A lot of caregivers might understand what i am saying.Its between the employer and employee how can they resolve it.it's the reality here.
;)
Sure - that's the arrangement you may have with your employer.

However when you apply for PR, it's going to be extremely easy for CIC to figure out you aren't being paid. That will guarantee a refusal and you'll be asked to leave Canada for failing to meet the requirements of your work permit. Once that happens, you can forget about being approved for a work permit to Canada ever again.

So the choices you are making now will ensure you have no future in Canada.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
no one with a common sense will declare
They do not have to declare. CIC will ask her to prove that she worked as live in.

But if she changes her employer and starts working like she's supposed to, she might be fine.
Has she ever mentioned in her posts that she ever wanted really to work as live in in Canada? ;) People just try to cheat the system.

to change her status to a student if she has sufficient funds
She may try. But FIRST she will be asked to prove that she really worked as live in as she promised when applied for live in visa.

orange_girl

Star Member
Jul 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-06-2014
Nomination.....
PER 18-10-2014
Med's Request
12-12-2014
Passport Req..
08-01-2015
VISA ISSUED...
13-01-2015
LANDED..........
27-01-2015
Regina said:
They do not have to declare. CIC will ask her to prove that she worked as live in.
Has she ever mentioned in her posts that she ever wanted really to work as live in in Canada? ;) People just try to cheat the system.

She may try. But FIRST she will be asked to prove that she really worked as live in as he promised when applied for live in visa.
Actually you are right, I just re-read her posts and it seems like she doesn't realize that she's done something wrong. I know many live-in caregivers, and all of them had a genuine intent to be live-in caregivers.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
all of them had a genuine intent to be live-in caregivers
Exactly!

Of course, later on after some time in Canada working as live ins they got different wishes and decided to get a student visa or a regular work permit or got married :). It is life, there are changes but they did not LIE at the very beginning and could prove that.

annabel04

Star Member
Jan 24, 2012
orange_girl said:
As a live-in caregiver you can apply for a study permit. If you decide to abandon your LIC program for any reason, you will be considered an international student on a study permit. The information that some people post here that you are not allowed to apply for a study permit is not valid. So, don't be intimidated, as a person on a work permit in Canada, you have a lot of benefits including free health care, ability to apply for a study/work permit from within Canada, and in some cases domestic tuition fees (e.g. if you are a live-in caregiver in Ontario). I've gone that route, I was a nanny and then I applied for a Study Permit. I am graduating this year. The only thing I regret is that I didn't find out about my options earlier and wasted a lot of time. You can send me a message if you need any additional information. I can't help you with nursing questions, but if you have questions about your immigration status, I can help you with that. I would like to point out that there are no short-cuts in Canada, and the best way to do things here is to do them legally. Not only it's a right thing to do but you also have a feeling that you deserved what you get. If CIC finds out the relation between you and your employer, they will refuse your PR application and you will have wasted a lot of time. So it's up to you what you do, but I recommend that you either find a legitimate employer here or switch your status to a student.

hi!thanks to your advice..actually we're not that really blood related i just called her aunt,treat her as relative.by the way i got new employer i'm still waiting for my lmo.and thanks for not judging me at all and for giving me the right answer to my question without sarcasm.some people tend to react fast not in a nice way tsk.
anyway,did you get study permit and studied while under LIC program?I wont actually study,i just want my credentials be assessed if i am eligible to take the LPN exam.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
for not judging me
Why shouldn't we? We do not want Canada to become Philippines, India, Egypt, Russia in terms of people's attitude to law. We left those countries for Canada BECAUSE among other things got tired of such a kind of attitude. And now people like you try to sneak into Canada? And think it should be approved by others? Thank you very much! Better stay home. Nobody will judge you there for conning. ;)

In terms who your "aunt-not-aunt" is, it is not illegal to work as live in for relatives.

But you still did not get the drill? It does not matter if she is or if she is not your real relative. Your problem is that you both tried to cheat.

did you get study permit and studied while under LIC program
You are confusing two different things. May be it is possible to take an exam being on any visa in Canada. Check with your province College of Nurses. However, going to the university is another thing:

Can I study in Canada while I am a live-in caregiver?
Yes. However, remember that you are in Canada to work as a full-time live-in caregiver. Also, if your course or program lasts more than six months, you will need a study permit. You can take non-credit special interest courses without a study permit. See the study permit application guide for courses that do not require a study permit.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=245&t=17