+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Have question about visitation

baker24

Apr 16, 2024
Hello everyone

So I’m a U.S. citizen living in the States, and my kids are Canadian and live in Canada (due to a recent divorce). However, I’m visiting my kids every weekend by land (crossing the border) and spending the weekend with them. This time, I would like to stay in Canada for 3 months, so my question is, can I stay in Canada for 3 months? Should I tell the officers at the border that, and if I do, I’m afraid that they will ask for proof of funds, health insurance, and many other documents to let me stay for 3 months?

Thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone

So I’m a U.S. citizen living in the States, and my kids are Canadian and live in Canada (due to a recent divorce). However, I’m visiting my kids every weekend by land (crossing the border) and spending the weekend with them. This time, I would like to stay in Canada for 3 months, so my question is, can I stay in Canada for 3 months? Should I tell the officers at the border that, and if I do, I’m afraid that they will ask for proof of funds, health insurance, and many other documents to let me stay for 3 months?

Thanks in advance.
You should only answer the questions you are asked. You would certainly want to be able to show that you have sufficient funds to visit Canada for 3 months without working. Whether you get insurance or not is your choice. However it's strongly recommend since emergency care can be horrifically expensive if something happens.

baker24

Apr 16, 2024
You should only answer the questions you are asked. You would certainly want to be able to show that you have sufficient funds to visit Canada for 3 months without working. Whether you get insurance or not is your choice. However it's strongly recommend since emergency care can be horrifically expensive if something happens.
I already opened a bank account in Montreal can I show that as proof? and one more question if they didn't ask how long I gonna stay I shouldn't say anything then and just stay for 2 or 3 months is that right?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I already opened a bank account in Montreal can I show that as proof? and one more question if they didn't ask how long I gonna stay I shouldn't say anything then and just stay for 2 or 3 months is that right?
I would recommend showing a US bank account as proof. A Canadian bank account may cause them to be concerned you have plans to remain in Canada long term and are not a genuine visitor.

Yes, if they don't ask how long you are staying and allow you in for the default six month visit, then you can stay 2-3 months.

baker24

Apr 16, 2024
Thank you so much and by the way usually they don't ask and I'm not traveling with passport I'm traveling with driver license only

Vancouver0120

Feb 15, 2020
US citizens can enter Canada and stay for 6 months, this is the default. In all your previous visits, they still give you 6 months to stay here, just that you end up going back sooner.