+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Have I become victim of fraud? Please help

A1meem

Aug 12, 2009
Dear Friends,

I am a freelance immigration consultant based in India. About almost a year ago, I had forwarded some 7 clients to a local agent to get the WP process (un-skilled category) done for Canada. The local agent claimed to be a partner with some recruiting agencies in Canada. In the beginning he said that he shall get the employment offers within 3 months but he failed. After giving several false promises, he finally obtained the employment contracts for my clients in the last week of June 2011 from a Nova Scotia based employer through his recruiting partners. My clients signed the contracts and the same were returned to the employer via the recruiting agency somewhere in second week of July 2011. As per the agent, the employer had filed for LMO on July 15 2011. The agent had said that since the LMO is pre-approved, it will take a week or so to get the LMOs in the name of respective clients. It's been more than 3 months now and there is no sign of LMO. Upon inquiring with agent for a proof that LMO has been applied -file number or any genuine document from Service Canada-, the agent said HE CANNOT ASK HIS RECRUITING PARTNERS OR EMPLOYER TO GIVE SUCH PROOF AS IT IS AGAINST THEIR POLICY. Let me mention here, that when the employment contracts were sent by the employer, it were not signed by the employer. Upon asking the agent, why so, he said in Canada, the employers never sign the contracts first. They sign the same after signed by the employees and then applies for the LMO and then after a copy of signed contract is sent back to the employee, which too the agent has not provided yet.

Friends, I am very much tensed as money is involved. The agent quoted me the processing fee of $5000 and I have paid him Rs. 25000 (appr. $500) as initial amount for each client after collecting the same from the clients. Rest amount was to be paid after visa. The clients are pressuring me to either give them a satisfactory outcome or refund back the money. On the other side, the agent does not clearly refuse to refund but is avoiding to refund back the amount saying he has paid thousands of $$$ to his Canadian counterparts, so he is concerned about the security of his that money hence he is not refunding money. Sometime he says he has paid to his immigration lawyer in Canada, sometimes he says he has paid to recruiting agency to get the employment and some times he says the recruiting agency has paid to the employer to issue a job offer. Each time he changes his statement. All he wants is we should wait till his Canadian Godfathers have mercy on the clients. Here, the clients are in no mood to give any more time. They are threatening me of legal action against me if any further delay is done either in refunding their money or in getting a full-proof document.

Please advice me what should I do in this situation. Or if you could atleast guide me how I should check with the Service Canada whether the LMO application has at all been done or not. If the LMO is not applied at all, then it would mean that the local agent has given a fake job offer. In such case, I don't know how far the recruiting agency / employer is involved. I would definitely file a fraud complaint against the local agent, but could I drag his Canadian counterparts also? If yes, then how? Where should I file a complaint against his Canadian counterpart?

Please advise.

Thank you

James6

Star Member
Jul 1, 2011
I don't know how the process works in INdia. But for Canadian employers and agencies in the Philippines, it's illegal to collect placement fees from applicants.

A1meem

Aug 12, 2009
James6 said:
I don't know how the process works in INdia. But for Canadian employers and agencies in the Philippines, it's illegal to collect placement fees from applicants.
Thank you James6 for your reply. But I think you have misunderstood my concern. I (clients) have paid the local agent as his registration/consultation fee for Work permit process, not for placement. It's agent who says that he has paid to his Canadian counterpart, again which is not clear whether he has paid to the employer or his recruiting partners or his immigration lawyer. Moreover, the agent has not yet mentioned how much amount he has paid.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
$5000 per applicant? Sounds like a scam to me. Who are the recruiting agencies in Canada? It's often fairly easy to tell if they're genuine or not through a web search.

I've never heard of a situation in Canada where a recruiting agency has to pay an employer to issue a job offer. It also doesn't make sense that your clients should have to pay a recruiting agency for job offers. In my opinion it sounds like the agent is making up excuses.

I don't think there's any way you can check with Services Canada directly. Even if LMOs have been filed, they won't release this information to you for confidentiality reasons.

A1meem

Aug 12, 2009
scylla said:
$5000 per applicant? Sounds like a scam to me. Who are the recruiting agencies in Canada? It's often fairly easy to tell if they're genuine or not through a web search.

I've never heard of a situation in Canada where a recruiting agency has to pay an employer to issue a job offer. It also doesn't make sense that your clients should have to pay a recruiting agency for job offers. In my opinion it sounds like the agent is making up excuses.

I don't think there's any way you can check with Services Canada directly. Even if LMOs have been filed, they won't release this information to you for confidentiality reasons.
Thanks scylla! $5000 are for processing charge of himself and his immigration lawyer for work permit application of which $500 have been paid per head. Also he is supposed to pay me 20% commission from this amount. The agent never told me that he will have to pay any amount to his Canadian counterpart to get the employment letter. He must also be aware of the Canadian law that it is illegal to pay in exchange of job offer, so he never gave that in writing. I cannot firmly say that he has paid for the employment. He keeps on changing his statement. In order to get any proof that he said he has paid the employer or recruiting agency, I will have to get his confession recorded through sting operation, which is again, an offence.

He never disclosed who is his recruiting partner. I know one person who took the skype interview of the clients before they were being given the offer letter. The clients were introduced to the interviewer as his recruiting partner, but upon doing a research, he appeared to be a CSIC member and Director of a renowned immigration company.

It's so sad that I cannot prove him as fraud unless and until I come to know from Service Canada that the LMO application has been done or not. If I contact the employer directly to know what's going on for LMO application, the employer will damn surely contact the CSIC member who will then contact this agent and they will reveal of the next action I shall be taking, hence they will get alert and will clear their ways to keep them safe. I want to strike on them all of a sudden with a concrete proof -whether the LMO has been applied or not-.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I can't think of any way you can find out if the LMO has been submitted or not. I really don't think there's any way Service Canada will provide you with this information. Maybe others on this forum will be able to help or have suggestions.

Good luck!

soulkeeper

Nov 17, 2011
I feel sorry for what had happened to you. I am a victim too by ths fraud job and worse is shes a friend of mine.I paid her 3500 dollars
with the corresponding receipt and she gave me fake LMO obviously and a contract.Im planning to file directly a complain against her
in POLO Ontario since i know Canada isnt under Phils Jurisdiction Law. And will give a copy of the complain to Social Service Disability
Office in Ont cause shes receiving disability pension from the Ca govt. Try to look for the counterpart office of POLO from your country
in Canada..i think they can help and send them a copy of all the receipt so they will further investigate ths person.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
soulkeeper said:
I feel sorry for what had happened to you. I am a victim too by ths fraud job and worse is shes a friend of mine.I paid her 3500 dollars
with the corresponding receipt and she gave me fake LMO obviously and a contract.Im planning to file directly a complain against her
in POLO Ontario since i know Canada isnt under Phils Jurisdiction Law. And will give a copy of the complain to Social Service Disability
Office in Ont cause shes receiving disability pension from the Ca govt. Try to look for the counterpart office of POLO from your country
in Canada..i think they can help and send them a copy of all the receipt so they will further investigate ths person.
If you have friends like this who needs enemies. Is she really disabled? It could be that she is working under the table, this way she is getting cash without paying taxes... collecting Disability benefits without being disabled and collecting Unemployment Insurance while being employed and social Welfare cheques because she is showing no income. It will be a good idea to report people like this, I call them lowest forms of scums. You should report her name address and other details to the ministry, they'll investigate by having an inspector monitor her whereabouts closely.

soulkeeper

Nov 17, 2011
Thank you for the immediate feedback. Do u have any idea which ministry office will i address the report complain? I was checking
in the internet and i ended up Ministry of Community and Social Services located in Toronto Ontario. Not sure if this is the right office
for my complain. She lives in balmoral drive Brampton Ontario.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Community and Social services

General Inquiry: 416-325-5666
Toll Free: 888-789-4199
TTY Toll Free: 800-387-5559
Web Site: www.mcss.gov.on.ca
Address:
Hepburn Block
6th Flr
80 Grosvenor St
Toronto ON M7A1E9

soulkeeper

Nov 17, 2011
I reported her to Ministry of Community And Social Services Welfare Fraud Hotline Box B30, Toronto ON M7A IE9. I hope justice will be
serve.

soulkeeper

Nov 17, 2011
I called the contact number of the sponsor which is written in the LMO but the person on the other line told me hes not the person im
looking for, therefore my sponsor doesnt exist. I asked for refund two months back but the recruiter told me i was unfit in my medical
according to my "sponsor" thats why i cant get a refund. I was really mad because shes making up stories now. Btw she issued me fake
LMO with wrong spelling of my name, obviously delaying tactics as well..i asked for revision of the LMO and its been one year now but she
cant provide new one. Im getting tired of her excuses. I hope the Social Service Minister will monitor her closely.She pretend to be
disabled and yet making up money online for a fraud job.