Green Card Holder Landing in Canada

Dreamlandvisa

Star Member
Nov 28, 2012
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Everybody,

I am a US green Card Holder, received my PR visa through QSW. I am planning to land in Montreal but leave to Vancouver where my sister leaves right after my landing.

Questions:

1. Having my US green card cause difficulties for me?

2. Leaving Quebec will put me in trouble by the time of Citizenship or PR extension? I mean is my residence in Quebec mandatory by law?

Any thoughts or real experience will be appreciated.

Reactions: chandu_rck

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. No - it won't.
2. No - it shouldn't (as long as you don't make it known that you plan to leave the province immediately). Although you must be able to provide a Quebec address where your PR card will be mailed. If you provide an address outside of Quebec, then you may be denied landing and your PR status.

chandu_rck

May 13, 2019
Hi Everybody,

I am a US green Card Holder, received my PR visa through QSW. I am planning to land in Montreal but leave to Vancouver where my sister leaves right after my landing.

Questions:

1. Having my US green card cause difficulties for me?

2. Leaving Quebec will put me in trouble by the time of Citizenship or PR extension? I mean is my residence in Quebec mandatory by law?

Any thoughts or real experience will be appreciated.
hi Did landing in Canada for pr caused problems for your US green card?Heard that getting another country's permanent residency is considered as abandonment of us green card and us green card would be cancelled.Is that true?

Jul 9, 2022
hi Did landing in Canada for pr caused problems for your US green card?Heard that getting another country's permanent residency is considered as abandonment of us green card and us green card would be cancelled.Is that true?
For starters, you should consult with a reputable U.S. immigration attorney.

In any case, no, becoming a permanent resident elsewhere does not automatically cause one to lose permanent resident status in the U.S. The key is that you must show a continuing "objective intent" to reside permanently in the U.S. If you intend to live in Canada before obtaining U.S. citizenship, then you will certainly risk being found to have abandoned your status in the U.S.