+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got COPR! Landing questions and vehicle concerns

PerrinAyabara

Nov 2, 2011
Well first off, YAY! I got my confirmation! I plan on Landing next Monday and have a few questions for people who have experienced this before.

1) When landing I give Immigration my Canadian address for them to mail my PR card to. At what point in this process can I start applying for work? Do I need to wait the month it will take to get my PR card? Most websites are a little unclear on what documents you need to apply for jobs. I know I need to send away for my SIN card as well. Can I start that ball rolling as soon as I land or do I need to wait until after I have received my PR card to apply to get the SIN card?

2) I immigrated from the United States and I have a 2005 Toyota Corolla from the US with US plates and registration that I drive and usually have with me in Canada. I have looked into importation information and it looks like it will potentially cost thousands to import this aging car in RIV and tax fees. Is it worth it? Do I have a choice? I've spent a good 90% of my time here in Canada for the last 6 years driving this car with its US plates. Will I be allowed to Land using this car or is Immigration going to force the importation issue when I Land (since I will use the car to cross at Buffalo) I'm a little afraid of driving to the border to Land then being told I have to turn around because I haven't imported my car or something. I dont think that's what will happen, but I guess I worry too much.

3) Related to #2 - Once I am a landed perm resident, is my US drivers license still good for driving? Is there a timeframe on when I should apply to transition to an Ontario driver's license? Will my US insurance still be good as a Canadian perm resident or will I now need to get a Canadian insurance company?

I know the vehicle things are issues I should have thought of beforehand, but I was so caught up and nervous about the actual application and getting myself approved I never thought about my car :( Hopefully they'll let me enter Canada and land with my US car and I can worry about importing it or go back to the US and sell it later if it looks like it will be too much bother/cost to import?

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Hey, and congrats on the COPR!

1 - As soon as you landed, you can head to any Service Canada office with your COPR signed and your passport STAMPED (make sure that the IO stamps the passport). With that, Service Canada will issue you a SIN, the actual card will arrive 10 days later, but you will get a paper with your number, and that's all you need to apply for jobs. So - same day if you want.
2 - no idea, but I know that quite a few Americans here have done the process, so wait a little and somebody else will answer!
3 - it depends on the province. In Ontario, I suggest having a look at that http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/drive-ontario-visitors and here http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/exchange-foreign-drivers-licence but in short> once you are a PR, you can drive for 60 days (if I understand correctly), then you need to exchange it for an Ontario license.

For insurance - I imagine that you will need a new one if your car gets new plates etc.

Good luck,
Sweden

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
PerrinAyabara said:
Well first off, YAY! I got my confirmation! I plan on Landing next Monday and have a few questions for people who have experienced this before.

1) When landing I give Immigration my Canadian address for them to mail my PR card to. At what point in this process can I start applying for work? Do I need to wait the month it will take to get my PR card? Most websites are a little unclear on what documents you need to apply for jobs. I know I need to send away for my SIN card as well. Can I start that ball rolling as soon as I land or do I need to wait until after I have received my PR card to apply to get the SIN card?

2) I immigrated from the United States and I have a 2005 Toyota Corolla from the US with US plates and registration that I drive and usually have with me in Canada. I have looked into importation information and it looks like it will potentially cost thousands to import this aging car in RIV and tax fees. Is it worth it? Do I have a choice? I've spent a good 90% of my time here in Canada for the last 6 years driving this car with its US plates. Will I be allowed to Land using this car or is Immigration going to force the importation issue when I Land (since I will use the car to cross at Buffalo) I'm a little afraid of driving to the border to Land then being told I have to turn around because I haven't imported my car or something. I dont think that's what will happen, but I guess I worry too much.

Thousands, no. Hundreds, yes. It's up to you if you feel it's worth it. We just imported my husband's 07 Chevy. I can't tell you if they will make you import it, I can tell you that the importation fee is 220 (that's with taxes added on, EVEN IF YOUR CAR IS ON THE B4 FORM). You will need to contact the bridge before you even get there, and see if they need the title before you get there. You will also need an RIV letter to import it. Yeah it's a lot of paperwork and a fair amount of money, but if you want to keep your car, your car is still new enough to import. Feel free to PM me (I'm half awake that's why I didn't write it out step by step haha) But here are some links for you

http://www.riv.ca/RecallClearance.aspx

http://www.riv.ca/CostConsiderations.aspx

3) Related to #2 - Once I am a landed perm resident, is my US drivers license still good for driving? Is there a timeframe on when I should apply to transition to an Ontario driver's license? Will my US insurance still be good as a Canadian perm resident or will I now need to get a Canadian insurance company?

30 days to the day you import the car for the license is what we were told today. You need to get your driver's abstract and the ORIGINAL copy of your driver's record. NOT a copy or fax. They will turn you right around if it's a fax or copy. You would need to contact your US insurance company, but once you import it, then you NEED Canadian insurance.

I know the vehicle things are issues I should have thought of beforehand, but I was so caught up and nervous about the actual application and getting myself approved I never thought about my car :( Hopefully they'll let me enter Canada and land with my US car and I can worry about importing it or go back to the US and sell it later if it looks like it will be too much bother/cost to import?
I apologize that it's short, I'm half awake. Hubby and I just finished (well, sorta) importing the car. Feel free to PM me and I will explain the process a little more! I know there's a thread by OhCanadiana where she explains it in detail too :)

gsize

May 2, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009....denied Feb 2010.....appeal allowed (August 2012)..waiting for processing
Doc's Request.
04/04/2013
File Transfer...
30/01/2013
Med's Done....
04/2013 (second time)
Passport Req..
21/02, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
18/03/2014
LANDED..........
05/04/2014
Congratulations !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

The hardest part is finished !

Welcome to Canada, eh !

PerrinAyabara

Nov 2, 2011
Thank you for the advice you all have offered so far.

I have done quite a bit of research on this and even on these forums I am getting a great deal of conflicting information and I'm very confused and getting more and more worried by the moment.

I have seen people claim that I won't even be allowed across into Canada with my US plated car when I land and I've seen people say that it won't be an issue. I have also seen people say that I may be allowed to enter canada in my US car, but it will be illegal to drive after I have gotten to my place of residence.

I'm very confused and a little freaked. My wife and I only have the one car and I've been driving it perfectly legally in Canada for years as a visitor. Is it really suddenly going to be illegal to drive it once I am a landed PR?

I have no idea what to do, I'll have to push back the date of my landing and figure out how to deal with this... The more I research and try to understand this insanity the more confused I get. I didn't get anywhere close to this confused on the entire Immigration application, this seems far worse to me and theres just no clear answers...

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Maybe pay a visit to the Ontaria license body - I'm in BC so I don't know what the equivalent would be for Ontario, here it's called ICBC, the equivalent for Ontario might be this one http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/

There are plenty of US citizen becoming PRs, so I'm sure the official institution will be able to provide answers.
best of luck,
Sweden

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
parker24 said:
I know there's a thread by OhCanadiana where she explains it in detail
You paged :)

It's at http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/leaving-the-us-to-land-in-canada-in-16-days-anyone-have-time-for-a-onceover-t105182.0.html;msg1474430#msg1474430 and quoted below:

OhCanadiana said:
It's not hard, you just need to make sure you do the parts in order and have the right docs. For the best overview, take a look at riv.com, but ignore all the info they have on paying duties (as long as your car is on your B4 you won't need to pay GST/HST).

To move the car, there's several steps:
1) Confirm the car is eligible
Check the riv.ca website to confirm that your car is eligible for import and to see what modifications you may need to make (e.g., daytime running lights) to pass inspection once you are in Canada. You can make the modifications either in the US or upon arrival in Canada (i.e., you don't have to do them before crossing the border but do need them to pass inspection in Canada)

2) Prep for the move
- Contact the Ministry of Transportation for your province to understand what you'll need to register your car (e.g., driver's license, insurance, import documentation, etc) and get whatever you need lined up
- I don't know the BC specifics, but Ontario requires an Ontario driver's license to be able to register the car, so make sure you have everything you need with you to get it (e.g., for some states you may need a driver history)
- Get the recall clearance letter (for Honda, my understanding is that you can register on their owner's website and print it directly or get it from a dealer on their letterhead). Send the letter showing no outstanding recalls to the RIV (document is valid for 30 day) to support @ support.riv.ca so they pre-process it. Call them to confirm all's set before you leave the US so you can get anything else necessary before you leave.
- Confirm your US insurance will cover you in Canada and get a letter of experience to help you get Canadian insurance
- Lay foundation to get insurance in Canada (you'll need it to register your car)
- If you don't own the car (e.g., you have a lease or loan), get authorization to export the car from the lienholder
- Make sure you have your car title easily available

4) Export car from the US
You can only export the car at certain border posts in the US and at certain times. So, figure out where you are crossing and then understand their requirements to get the info to them ahead of time - usually they are looking to get the info 3 (sometimes natural, sometimes business) days before you arrive at the border. Take a look at http://www.ucanimport.com/Border_Crossing_Info.aspx for a good list of border crossings, but then search for the specific info for the border post and their instructions on the CBP website directly. For example, for Buffalo, look at http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/ny/0901.xml and search "export a vehicle" to see an example of the instructions (other crossings sometimes need you to mail them the title so they receive it 3 business days prior so it's important to check for your specifics). You can search for other border crossings at http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/ . Find out the location of the export office online or when you call them (it's not necessarily easy to find when you are at the border).
On the day of the crossing, stop by the CBP export office before you cross the border into Canada so they stamp your title to clear it for export.

3) Import the car into Canada
After you cross the border, tell the officer you are importing the car. Show them the stamped title and they'll send you inside to complete the process. Fill out the document at the Canadian border post - one page with your name, address, etc and car info. You'll need to get Form 1. If your car is included on your B4 (either submitted that day or previously), your tax rate will be 0% but make sure you keep the receipt carefully ... you'll need it at the Ministry of Transportation. Include your e-mail on Form 1 so the RIV e-mail you Form 2 (faster than mailing it). CBSA will be faxing Form 1 to the RIV.

4) Pay the import fee to the RIV and get your Form 2 from the RIV
You'll need to pay $195.00 + GST/HST (or QST) either at riv.com or by calling the RIV at 1-888-848-8240 (Mon. to Fri.: 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 midnight (EST), Sat. and Sun.: 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (EST))
You'll need the red numbers from your Form 1 to do this step and they will then e-mail you Form 2 which you'll need to get the car inspected.

5) Get your car inspected for import inspection (at Canadian Tire) and, if necessary, provincial inspection
You'll need to get your car inspected to ensure it meets Canadian standards (remember the checklist you got at the beginning from riv.ca ... they'll check for those modifications so get them done before elsewhere or arrange to have them done at Canadian Tire). The cost is included in the import fee you paid to the RIV. Plan for an hour or hour and a half for the inspection.
Depending on the province, you may need a provincial inspection too. For expediency, you may want to have the provincial inspection done at Canadian Tire the same day. Just tell them when you make the appointment so they can schedule it in.
Canadian Tire will stamp Form 2, which you'll need at the Ministry of Transportation. Make sure they fax the form to the RIV so the system shows you passed the inspection.

6) Register your car and get plates at the Ministry of Transportation
The specifics vary by province

7) Cancel your US insurance and send your US plates back if your state requires them

8) Celebrate!!!

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PerrinAyabara said:
Thank you for the advice you all have offered so far.

I have done quite a bit of research on this and even on these forums I am getting a great deal of conflicting information and I'm very confused and getting more and more worried by the moment.

I have seen people claim that I won't even be allowed across into Canada with my US plated car when I land and I've seen people say that it won't be an issue. I have also seen people say that I may be allowed to enter canada in my US car, but it will be illegal to drive after I have gotten to my place of residence.

I'm very confused and a little freaked. My wife and I only have the one car and I've been driving it perfectly legally in Canada for years as a visitor. Is it really suddenly going to be illegal to drive it once I am a landed PR?

I have no idea what to do, I'll have to push back the date of my landing and figure out how to deal with this... The more I research and try to understand this insanity the more confused I get. I didn't get anywhere close to this confused on the entire Immigration application, this seems far worse to me and theres just no clear answers...
No need to freak out - it's simple but confusing because the steps aren't laid out anywhere for new immigrants (RIV info applies mostly except for duties and taxes since your call will be / should be on your B4 so it will be exempt). I think your questions are answered in the post below that I'd written for parker24. Feel free to ask if you have other questions.

Essentially, the rules that apply to you will change once you become a PR since your status changes: you'll go from being a tourist in Canada to a resident of Canada (since you're living there too) so plan to export the car from the US when you flagpole and import it when you land. The post below quotes the regulations.

The only thing I'd add to the below is plan to go through the importation process quickly since you really aren't allowed to drive the car for anything other than importation purposes until you get it plated in Canada. You could schedule the importation and emissions and safety inspections for early the day after you land, for example, and then go straight to Service Ontario to register the car (assuming you arranged for insurance ahead of time and have your pink slip). As I mention below, getting your Ontario driver's license (rather, licence :) ) before landing would save you time. This isn't hard, there's just a lot of steps you need to schedule.

OhCanadiana said:
Well, this is your lucky day because I think I can clear it up for you and save you some cash for a bit ;)

1. Your husband can drive your car or your parents' car or his own car in Ontario. IIRC, he is visiting you, not on a work permit or something else that makes him a resident of Ontario. Therefore, get him an International Driving Permit and you're done. You should be able to do it via mail with AAA (instructions here) ($15 plus shipping fees).
Code:
"If you are a visitor to Ontario and want to drive while you are here, you must be at least 16 years old and have a valid driver's licence from your own province, state or country. If you are from another country and visiting Ontario for more than three months, you need an International Driver's Permit from your own country."
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/handbook/section1.1.0.shtml
2. A Canadian resident should NOT drive a foreign-plated car (unless they rented a car from a commercial agency in the US, have permission from the rental agency, and rent it for max 30 days -> this exception is relatively new). So, if you are a resident of Ontario and not just visiting Ontario you shouldn't drive his car unless it's an emergency or you guys are taking goods in to Canada in his car in the most direct path from the border to your house. Ditto for your parents.

[the sources are long so I'm putting them at the end of the post for clarity]

3. Once he gets his PR card, when he lands he should simultaneously import his car (on his B4). For this, you will need permission from the title-holder to export the car from the US. That way he won't be a Canadian resident driving a non-Canadian car.

4. He's going to need a Canadian driver's license (DL) to register the car, so you may want to get the DL shortly before landing so that you save that step. Depending on what US state his US DL is issued by, he may need a driving record.

Ta-da. Questions?

Sources for components of #2:

Tourists can temporarily import cars, per D19-12-1
Code:
"RIV Program Exemptions
49. Vehicles are exempt from complying with the CMVSS
at the point of entry into Canada if they are imported under
one of the following conditions:
(a) the vehicles are 15 years old or older, or are buses
manufactured before January 1, 1971; the importer
must be able to demonstrate the age of the vehicle;
(b) the vehicles are entering temporarily with:
(1) visitors, for a period not exceeding 12 months;
temporary residents such as students studying at an
institution of learning, for the duration of their
studies in Canada; or individuals with valid work
permits/authorizations for employment for a period
not exceeding 36 months;"
D2-4-1's covers residents of Canada's use of non-Canadian plated cars:
Code:
"GUIDELINES AND
GENERAL INFORMATION

Residents of Canada
1. Residents of Canada may operate conveyances on
which duties have not been paid in Canada only in
accordance with the terms and conditions of tariff item
No. 9802.00.00 and the regulations made pursuant thereto.
Purpose of Importation
2. Conveyances imported temporarily under these
Regulations are admissible for personal transportation only
from the point of arrival to a specified destination in Canada
and return within 30 days, when the purpose of importation
is to transport personally owned goods into or out of
Canada.
3. Similarly, customs inspectors may permit importation
in instances where a resident is required, due to unforeseen
circumstances or emergency reasons, to utilize a
conveyance on which duties have not been paid for personal
transportation to reach a specified destination in Canada and
return.
4. Under no circumstances are conveyances admissible
under these Regulations for touring purposes or for other
leisure activities in Canada, nor is any local use permitted
(e.g., point to point movement in Canada).
5. Customs inspectors will grant free importation of a
conveyance under these Regulations only when satisfied
that the applicable conditions have been met."
...unless it's a rental and certain conditions are met

"
Code:
Exception — temporary importation

(1.1) Sections 5 and 6 do not apply to a resident of Canada who imports a vehicle that is licensed in the United States if the vehicle is rented in the United States from a vehicle rental business and is being imported into Canada for non-commercial purposes.

Importer to remove vehicle from Canada

(1.2) A resident of Canada who imports a vehicle under subsection (1.1) shall remove the vehicle from Canada within a period of 30 days, or any other prescribed period, beginning on the day on which the vehicle is imported.

Rental business to remove vehicle from Canada

(1.3) If, within the period referred to in subsection (1.2), the resident of Canada delivers the vehicle to a vehicle rental business in Canada with the consent of the business, then the vehicle rental business shall remove the vehicle from Canada before the end of that period."
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/M-10.01/page-3.html
and

Code:
" Canadian residents may, as of June 1, 2012, bring U.S. rental vehicles into Canada for non-commercial use for 30 days or less. This will not affect the safety of Canadian road users, because Canadian and American vehicle standards are similar, and the vehicles will be in Canada for short periods of time.

While these changes to the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (MVSA) will allow one-way and two way trips, residents of Canada may only deliver a vehicle to a vehicle rental business for a one-way trip, with the consent of the business. 

Visitors to Canada may continue to bring rental vehicles from the United States into Canada. "
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safevehicles-rental-usa-1302.htm

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Just to add, you won't be able to get it plated until you pay the 220 and then they email you 24-48 hours afterwards. We're waiting for the form from RIV right now and we were told three times "DO NOT get it plated yet as it's in the system as the US plates and needs to keep them for the federal inspection" So if you wanted to, you CAN do the safety/e-test afterwards. Daytime running lights are a must, US cars don't have them and you will have to have that done before the federal inspection (that's what they will be looking at).

VERY thankful for OhCanadiana, she explained it to me, I just wanted to add that detail. Be sure to call the bridge beforehand, so you know what they need (our bridge needed the title 3 days before we imported it) :)

susanaplacador

Star Member
Jul 21, 2011
PerrinAyabara said:

if as soon as you arrived is it okay to give the new address for th pr because my hubby rcv the COPR but the address that was an old a address because when i filed i used my current address already but surprised that they used the old in COPR do we have to calll or as soon that he arrived and tell to th immigration officer that before giving them the copr give them the new address to mail the pr ok thanks and god bless.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
susanaplacador said:
if as soon as you arrived is it okay to give the new address for th pr because my hubby rcv the COPR but the address that was an old a address because when i filed i used my current address already but surprised that they used the old in COPR do we have to calll or as soon that he arrived and tell to th immigration officer that before giving them the copr give them the new address to mail the pr ok thanks and god bless.
Yes just tell them you moved when you arrive.

tavora

Star Member
May 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-07-2012
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
20-09-2012
Med's Done....
02-07-2012
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
07-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
10-05-2013
LANDED..........
31-05-2013
We're in a similar situation .. just waiting on my husband's COPR as well .. I had thought we could add his car on his Goods to Follow form and import it a little later (1-2 months later), but from this thread I'm guessing we should plan to import the car when he lands?

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
tavora said:
We're in a similar situation .. just waiting on my husband's COPR as well .. I had thought we could add his car on his Goods to Follow form and import it a little later (1-2 months later), but from this thread I'm guessing we should plan to import the car when he lands?
It depends. Hubby's car was already in Canada in my instance, so we just put it on the B4 form and imported it this week. He landed Jan 4th.

tavora

Star Member
May 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-07-2012
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
20-09-2012
Med's Done....
02-07-2012
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
07-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
10-05-2013
LANDED..........
31-05-2013
parker24 said:
It depends. Hubby's car was already in Canada in my instance, so we just put it on the B4 form and imported it this week. He landed Jan 4th.
My husband's car is here in Canada, too. When he went to land as a PR, did you drive a Canadian plated car?