Dr Eng X

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My brother in law got accepted to study ESL for 1 year although the term/semester is 4month i.e. less than 6months. If he applies to get a study permit for less than 6months, he will not have to take medical exam and he can then travel back and forth between terms/semesters.
How can we make his application very powerful to reduce chances of refusal

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If the total length of his program is more than six months, he needs to apply for a study permit to cover the length of his entire program and will certainly need a medical.

Note that the study permit approval rates for ESL programs are quite low. It doesn't really make sense to come all the way to Canada just to take an IELTS course so this can often make CIC doubt someone is a genuine visitor. Also note that there's no guarantee he will qualify for a PGWP once he's done.

If you want to make his application very powerful, he should pick a different program like a college diploma or university degree. ESL is a poor choice.

Dr Eng X

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
If the total length of his program is more than six months, he needs to apply for a study permit to cover the length of his entire program and will certainly need a medical.

Note that the study permit approval rates for ESL programs are quite low. It doesn't really make sense to come all the way to Canada just to take an IELTS course so this can often make CIC doubt someone is a genuine visitor. Also note that there's no guarantee he will qualify for a PGWP once he's done.

If you want to make his application very powerful, he should pick a different program like a college diploma or university degree. ESL is a poor choice.
Thanks for your suggestions. The acceptance letter indicates a technical program which he intends to study. The letter is from NAIT

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dr Eng X said:
Thanks for your suggestions. The acceptance letter indicates a technical program which he intends to study. The letter is from NAIT
Get accepted into NAIT directly without having to take the ESL program first. This will strengthen the application.

Dr Eng X

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
Get accepted into NAIT directly without having to take the ESL program first. This will strengthen the application.
I do not think his English is strong enough to get accepted into any program and he has a bachelor degree in sociology. I am a bit confused as of types of Visas. I understand there are two types one for <6months and another for >6months which is probably called study permit!
He owns an export & import company. He also has to establish connections to home country!!

Dr Eng X

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
any thoughts also is my understanding of study visa's is correct?
Dr Eng X said:
I am a bit confused as of types of Visas. I understand there are two types one for <6months and another for >6months which is probably called study permit!

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Dr Eng X said:
I do not think his English is strong enough to get accepted into any program and he has a bachelor degree in sociology. I am a bit confused as of types of Visas. I understand there are two types one for <6months and another for >6months which is probably called study permit!
He owns an export & import company. He also has to establish connections to home country!!

There is only one type of study permit. For courses less than 6 months, its optional to apply for study permit. For courses over 6 months, its required.