+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got 2 years PGWP instead of 3

vinodk7000

Jun 5, 2019
Hello guys,

I got via flagpole yesterday and got only 2 years instead of 3. I have asked officer regarding this and she quoted that I will only get work permit based on your length of your studies. I did completed 2 one year graduate certificate courses. I know I'm eligible for 3 years, but they are in no mood to listen.

Can someone suggest what is the best thing I can do to get 3 years work permit. I need work permit in hand for my job that's how I've proceed with flagpoling.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello guys,

I got via flagpole yesterday and got only 2 years instead of 3. I have asked officer regarding this and she quoted that I will only get work permit based on your length of your studies. I did completed 2 one year graduate certificate courses. I know I'm eligible for 3 years, but they are in no mood to listen.

Can someone suggest what is the best thing I can do to get 3 years work permit. I need work permit in hand for my job that's how I've proceed with flagpoling.
They were not incorrect as they followed IRCC guidelines:

The student completed more than one program from an eligible DLI within 2 years.
Note: Each program of study must meet all PGWPP eligibility requirements and be at least 8 months in length.
The student completed more than one DVS or a DVS and an AVS from an eligible DLI within 2 years.
The DVS program must be at least 900 hours in length. The AVS program can be less than 900 hours in length, if submitted in combination with a DVS.
The length of the work permit should combine the length of each program.
If the combined length of the programs is 2 years or longer (or 1,800 hours or longer for a combination of a DVS with an AVS in Quebec), the work permit may be valid for up to 3 years (provided that the DVS program in Quebec is at least 900 hours in length).

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html

You can file a reconsideration.

vinodk7000

Jun 5, 2019
They were not incorrect as they followed IRCC guidelines:

The student completed more than one program from an eligible DLI within 2 years.
Note: Each program of study must meet all PGWPP eligibility requirements and be at least 8 months in length.
The student completed more than one DVS or a DVS and an AVS from an eligible DLI within 2 years.
The DVS program must be at least 900 hours in length. The AVS program can be less than 900 hours in length, if submitted in combination with a DVS.
The length of the work permit should combine the length of each program.
If the combined length of the programs is 2 years or longer (or 1,800 hours or longer for a combination of a DVS with an AVS in Quebec), the work permit may be valid for up to 3 years (provided that the DVS program in Quebec is at least 900 hours in length).

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html

You can file a reconsideration.
Thanks for the reply. I did satisfy all the requirements for 3 years work permit. Can I apply for reconsideration via Webform or is there any other process. In Webform I don't option related to flagpole. Please guide me

Ssm20

Jan 28, 2024
Thanks for the reply. I did satisfy all the requirements for 3 years work permit. Can I apply for reconsideration via Webform or is there any other process. In Webform I don't option related to flagpole. Please guide me
Any updates on your case did you apply for reconsideration? I am also in the same situation any help would be appreciated

monikam

Mar 29, 2019
Any updates on your case did you apply for reconsideration? I am also in the same situation any help would be appreciated
Did you get any letter from college or university? and what was mentioned in that letter (i.e. number of hours etc or how many year of PGWP you are eligible for)

Ssm20

Jan 28, 2024
Did you get any letter from college or university? and what was mentioned in that letter (i.e. number of hours etc or how many year of PGWP you are eligible for)
I am eligible for three years because I did 2 years course but I did flagpole and they gave me 2 years of work permit. I am not sure if I file for reconsideration Ircc will extend it.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am eligible for three years because I did 2 years course but I did flagpole and they gave me 2 years of work permit. I am not sure if I file for reconsideration Ircc will extend it.
So you did two year programs back to back? Read the rules, you get PGWP for program length. CBSA/IRCC may be following that rule now with new study permit rules. You can try for reconsideration but it may be denied.

monikam

Mar 29, 2019
Oh I see, so did you do 2 year program? not the 2 one year program . Please clarify?

monikam

Mar 29, 2019
Ask for reconsideration but due to announcement from last week, you may only be given PGWP for the time you studied.
The last week announcement said "
  • Graduates of master’s degree programs will soon be eligible to apply for a 3-year work permit. Under current criteria, the length of a post graduation work permit is based solely on the length of an individual’s study program, hindering master’s graduates by limiting the amount of time they have to gain work experience and potentially transition to permanent residence.
and current criteria from IRCC site says
If your program was 2 years or more
We may give you a PGWP that’s valid for 3 years.

So I think he should be eligible for 3 years?? right.. this is my interpretation from the above reading though.

Reactions: Simba112

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
The last week announcement said "
  • Graduates of master’s degree programs will soon be eligible to apply for a 3-year work permit. Under current criteria, the length of a post graduation work permit is based solely on the length of an individual’s study program, hindering master’s graduates by limiting the amount of time they have to gain work experience and potentially transition to permanent residence.
and current criteria from IRCC site says
If your program was 2 years or more

So I think he should be eligible for 3 years?? right.. this is my interpretation from the above reading though.
Post here if reconsideration is successful or if IRCC is implementing what is stated on the website.
If your program was 2 years or more (This is one program of 2 years)

If you completed more than 1 program

You may be able to get a PGWP that combines the length of each program.

Each of the programs you completed must be

• PGWP eligible and
  • at least 8 months (or 900 hours for Quebec credentials) in length
You can’t get a PGWP if you already had one after completing an earlier program of study.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/about.html

Last edited: