+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

good news for caregivers

randz

Dec 13, 2009
IMPORTANT

Effective April 1, 2010, live-in caregivers working in Canada under the Live-in Caregiver Program:

•have two options for calculating their work experience to be eligible to apply for permanent residence:
◦24 months of authorized full-time employment, or
◦a total of 3,900 hours of authorized full-time employment;
•have four years from their date of arrival to complete the employment requirement to be eligible for permanent residence under the Program; and
•no longer need to undergo the standard mandatory requirement for a second medical exam when applying for permanent residence.

source http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/caregiver/index.asp

TorontoGal

Apr 13, 2010
when you state full time authorized work - I am confused. T

here is much confusion amongst my friends who are also employers to live in caregivers in terms of the # of hours.

All our of caregivers were already in the LIC program before April 1st changes and we were told that the min # of hours was 30/week for 24 months to qualify for PR. It seems either I am confused, rules have changed - can someone help me with this?
I do not want my nanny to be short time when she goes to apply for PR.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
TorontoGal said:
when you state full time authorized work - I am confused. T

here is much confusion amongst my friends who are also employers to live in caregivers in terms of the # of hours.

All our of caregivers were already in the LIC program before April 1st changes and we were told that the min # of hours was 30/week for 24 months to qualify for PR. It seems either I am confused, rules have changed - can someone help me with this?
I do not want my nanny to be short time when she goes to apply for PR.
Full time work as per labour standards of the province. In some provinces you have to work a minimum of 40 hrs (BC). I think it is 30 hours in Ontario.

TorontoGal

Apr 13, 2010
where would i get the confirmation of this - my carwegiver is all stressed out because she is concerned with the 3900 hours and won't have them at 24 months based on a 30 hour work week.

i am trying to find the 30 hours online somewhere so i have it in writing and i can only seem to find the maximum number of hours at 48 hours a week.
i recall being told by Service Canada that 30 hours is the minimum # hours to be considered FULL TIME for her.

dben

Star Member
May 29, 2009
Can your caregiver not work for you until she has the required number of hours in a 4 year span?
She just needs to work 3900 hours within a 4 year period. What is all the fuss about?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
TorontoGal said:
where would i get the confirmation of this - my carwegiver is all stressed out because she is concerned with the 3900 hours and won't have them at 24 months based on a 30 hour work week.

i am trying to find the 30 hours online somewhere so i have it in writing and i can only seem to find the maximum number of hours at 48 hours a week.
i recall being told by Service Canada that 30 hours is the minimum # hours to be considered FULL TIME for her.

The link is posted by randz: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/caregiver/index.asp

TorontoGal

Apr 13, 2010
Trust me I wish there was no fuss - she is causing the fuss because she was under the assumption that all she has to do is 30 hours a week for 2 years and she woudl apply for her and her family.
So, I am stressed out ??? because I don't want her to be disappointed if somethign goes wrong so I am trying my best to get straight answers and so she is prepared when filing all the documents in.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
TorontoGal said:
Trust me I wish there was no fuss - she is causing the fuss because she was under the assumption that all she has to do is 30 hours a week for 2 years and she woudl apply for her and her family.
So, I am stressed out ??? because I don't want her to be disappointed if somethign goes wrong so I am trying my best to get straight answers and so she is prepared when filing all the documents in.
Let her know that there are two options and the new LCP 'law' is more lenient than the old one. You can also direct her to the forum so we can better explain to her.

dben

Star Member
May 29, 2009
You didn't say what province you are in. Each province is different but the guide says 24 months of authorized full time employment within a 4 year period by CIC. Seems to me if CIC authorized 30 hours a week that it would be valid. My suggestion is to call the CIC call centre and get them to send you an Email as confirmation that she is qualified as full time.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/5290E.pdf

eunice

Jan 17, 2010
Limits on hours of works..

generally,you cannot be required to work more than 8 hours a day or your regular daily work schedule(if more than 8hours)for you to work more than the daily limit,your employer must have your written agreement..
you cant be required to work more than 48 hours a week.for you to work more than 48hours in a week,your employer must have your written agreement and approval from the ministry of labour..
generally,you must have at least 11 consecutive hours off work each day and 24 consecutive hours off work each week or 48 consecutive hours off work in every2 week period..

this is regarding the hours of 3,900 hours...
this is under the ontario live in caregiver program..

TorontoGal

Apr 13, 2010
Remind me its CIC that authorised the LMO letter got for 30 hours?
>> Have you completed24monthsOR3,900hours(withinaminimum
of 22 months which may include a maximum of 390 hours of overtime) of authorized full-time employment as a live-in caregiver within four years from the date you entered Canada under the Live- in Caregiver Program <<

I like the Have you completed 24 months part or ...?
I am in Ontario?

Anyone know if I am ok here?

TorontoGal

Apr 13, 2010
Remind me its CIC that authorised the LMO letter got for 30 hours?
>> Have you completed24monthsOR3,900hours(withinaminimum
of 22 months which may include a maximum of 390 hours of overtime) of authorized full-time employment as a live-in caregiver within four years from the date you entered Canada under the Live- in Caregiver Program <<

I like the Have you completed 24 months part or ...?
I am in Ontario?

Anyone know if I am ok here?

eunice

Jan 17, 2010
this information i got only yesterday from the immigration legal officer..she explained well the information about getting 2 years in 4 years...then if a nanny has always overtime she can add her overtime to her regular hours to complete the 3,900 hours..then she mighgt get her PR earlier even she wont wait her 2 years..as long as she has 3,900 hours in 22 months...depending on overtime she got..
becoz there are some employers that taking advantage of live in caregiver that they are just giving her cash money for the overtime..so the loser is the nanny..it wont count on her time working hour...
i hope i help little about ur question..im also filipina lcp>

TorontoGal

Apr 13, 2010
Thanks Eunice! I don't necessarily think it is taking advantage of a nanny by paying her cash - (hope no CRA people are on this ste site :D )

Cash is cash if you know what I mean. The 3900 hours only recently came in. Not all employers are bad. From all my reading on the subject, the AGENCIES were the ones taking advantage. In the end both the LIC and the Employer shoudl both benefit. Employer for having a good caregiver for their situation and the caregiver for eventually getting permanent residence in a coutnry that is obviously better to live in than where they came from. Not only status for themselves but for the entire family.

Sorry for long windedness here. I am an employer that has always helped my nanny and with the recent changes, it actually puts a dent since my nanny had expectations of completing in 2 years and then the monkey wrench of 3900 hours etc came into play.
Just spoke to one of the numbers you gave me Ministry labour for ONtario and thre is NO OFFICIAL DEFINITION in Ontario for Authorized full time work. So if citizenship passes it back to the Ministry - there is no definition. This would be great if that is the case for my situation.