+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting reported at US/Canada border for not meeting res. reqs. Still PR?

magedhoh

Sep 11, 2011
I did it! :D I entered Canada at the land border without getting reported! :) Couldn't have done this without the help of this great forum, especially your superb help Leon. Thank you again :). I hope my experience would benefit and give hope to other PRs who are outside Canada with an expired PR card but fear that applying for a travel document could jeopardize their permanent residence status, just like I was. Immigration really does seem to be much more lax than that at airports, however, to minimize the chance of getting reported as much as possible, I strongly advise those who'll be entering Canada at the US Canada border to present the Canadian officials with good, documented reasons as to why they couldn't meet their residency requirements (in my case I told them that I left Canada unintentionally with my parents) and/or proof that they have or will have strong ties to Canada such as family members in Canada, proof of acceptance at a university (I presented both of those as well as a copy of my invitation to attend the citizenship ceremony and I think the officer checked on his computer that my Father and Mother are actually in Canada). At first I gave the Canadian border officer my passport and confirmation of permanent residence then when he asked if I have a PR card, I presented my expired card along with the copy of my citizenship ceremony invitation. When he saw that the card was expired, he asked me how long I've been outside Canada, I told him 2 years and 9 months and went on to explain in detail (as he requested) my history since becoming a PR ( he took notes on a green piece of paper). After that he called a CBSA officer to lead me to immigration, where I essentially repeated my story but in a bit more detail (and he was a bit more skeptical than the first officer; he asked me when I finished high school and what I was doing in Egypt after finishing high school). He checked that my Father and Mother were in Canada then just told me "You're free to go". He was about to forget to stamp my passport and he forgot to give me back my confirmation of permanent residence, so I requested it (so be sure to take back all your important papers). Also, he asked me whether we mentioned in the citizenship application that I've been outside Canada at high school in Egypt, and so I reminded him that as a minor on my father's application I didn't need to stay in Canada for 1095 days to get accepted for citizenship. That's why it's important that you study the related CIC rules to know your rights as a PR and that you speak truthfully and confidently.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congrats on getting in :) Yes, it is important to know the rules sometimes.

magedhoh

Sep 11, 2011
Thanks puma and Leon.
I just wanted to ask two questions related to the citizenship application and test:

1) My father was 53 years and 8 months when he applied for citizenship and added me to his application as a minor (I was 17 years and 11 months). My father's letter tells him to come for an interview with a citizenship judge and doesn't mention a test at all even though he was under 54 at the time of application; so we just wanted to know whether he would be asked questions from "Discover Canada" orally in that interview or just questions about his life in Canada..etc? The book itself says "The citizenship test is usually a written test, but it could be an interview". Is CIC considering him over 54 and exempting him from the test (he is 55 now) even though he was under 54 at the time of application? Didn't they "lock" our ages to the day they received his application?. We called CIC but didn't get a clear answer.

2) As a minor on my father's application, I haven't been told to come for a test or an interview; I've only been invited to the ceremony. I just wanted to know whether or not my obtainment of citizenship is dependent on my father's success at the interview?

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
magedhoh said:
Thanks puma and Leon.
I just wanted to ask two questions related to the citizenship application and test:

1) My father was 53 years and 8 months when he applied for citizenship and added me to his application as a minor (I was 17 years and 11 months). My father's letter tells him to come for an interview with a citizenship judge and doesn't mention a test at all even though he was under 54 at the time of application; so we just wanted to know whether he would be asked questions from "Discover Canada" orally in that interview or just questions about his life in Canada..etc? The book itself says "The citizenship test is usually a written test, but it could be an interview". Is CIC considering him over 54 and exempting him from the test (he is 55 now) even though he was under 54 at the time of application? Didn't they "lock" our ages to the day they received his application?. We called CIC but didn't get a clear answer.

2) As a minor on my father's application, I haven't been told to come for a test or an interview; I've only been invited to the ceremony. I just wanted to know whether or not my obtainment of citizenship is dependent on my father's success at the interview?

Thanks
It sounds like they are considering him over 54 and are not requiring him to take the test. Otherwise it would say that he is supposed to take the test. He might do good to read the book in case he is asked something from it but I think he probably wont be. As a dependent child on your fathers application, you will not get citizenship if he does not pass his interview.

emiliano

Sep 22, 2008
Hi senior members.

Just want to ask about the chances of getting in with an expired PR. My card expired when I was outside Canada (September 2008) and never made an attempt to renew it. Is it possible to get in to Canada with my visa exempt passport or will they ask me for my expired PR?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You would have to try it. If you entered with the same passport and your PR card before, they probably have your passport on file and when they scan it, they will see that you are a PR. Even if you have a new passport, they may see from your name, birthdate and country of citizenship that you may be a PR.

emiliano

Sep 22, 2008
Thanks Leon.

Actually it wouldn't be the same passport. The passport I previously used for landing and issue of PR card was of a different visa non exempt country. Do I have to present my expired PR card to show them that I am the same person? If I enter through US Border in a private car, will they still ask for PR card?