+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married after getting FSW visa but before landing in Canada

ZahidMaan

Mar 18, 2017
Helow everyone!

I got an immigration visa when I was single in last Feb. I got married in July and landed in Canada in Dec. As far as I knew my only responsibility was to intimate CIC about the change in my marital status which I did through an email attaching the marriage certificate to that email. They replied my and gave me a link to find the forms of sponsorship for my wife but unfortunately I could not apply for her before coming here. Can anybody help me whether did I do the right thing and if not then what should I do now before applying for her visa???

Thanks in anticipation!

Zahid

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Now you have to opt for family sponsorship which would take around a year.

ZahidMaan

Mar 18, 2017
But some ppl are saying that I have made a big mistake. I should have returned the visa alongwith the marriage proofs and request them to issue a family visa. I am confused that why did that immigration officer not intimated this thing to me in the reply of my email in which I asked him categorically that what I need to do now while I have not yet landed in Canada.

THanks in anticipation!

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
ZahidMaan said:
But some ppl are saying that I have made a big mistake. I should have returned the visa alongwith the marriage proofs and request them to issue a family visa. I am confused that why did that immigration officer not intimated this thing to me in the reply of my email in which I asked him categorically that what I need to do now while I have not yet landed in Canada.

THanks in anticipation!
Had you done that, your PR would have been placed on hold until you submit PCC and medical for your wife. They sent you the forms to add your wife but you did not do it. Now you have to opt for family route. It is a cheaper route but time consuming. If you are in a hurry, your wife can apply for EE but she would have to get IELTS, ECA, reference letters, proof of funds, PCC, medical and get your PCC and medical too. It will be fast but gathering documents in cumbersome.

ZahidMaan

Mar 18, 2017
xpressentry said:
Had you done that, your PR would have been placed on hold until you submit PCC and medical for your wife. They sent you the forms to add your wife but you did not do it. Now you have to opt for family route. It is a cheaper route but time consuming. If you are in a hurry, your wife can apply for EE but she would have to get IELTS, ECA, reference letters, proof of funds, PCC, medical and get your PCC and medical too. It will be fast but gathering documents in cumbersome.
Yes you are right. But he did not tell me to return my passport and COPR for addition of my wife. Nd wat is this family route can you please explain? How much time will it take?

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
xpressentry said:
Now you have to opt for family sponsorship which would take around a year.
Incorrect. He can never sponsor his wife. He failed to add her to his application before landing - which he was obligated to do.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ZahidMaan said:

THanks in anticipation!
Yes - unfortunately you've made a huge mistake with big impacts to your life. It was not the visa office's responsibility to respond to you. It was your responsibility to return your COPR (not use it) and also submit all of the documents to add your spouse to your application (including medical, PCC, etc.). You then would have had to have waited until the VO processed your wife's paperwork and then issued a new COPR. Because you failed to do this - you can never sponsor your wife. You also technically committed misrepresentation by landing as a single individual when you were in fact married - which means that CIC can technically revoke your PR status (although it's unlikely they will).

At this point you have two choices. (1) Your wife needs to qualify to immigrate on her own through an economic immigration stream like FSW/express entry. (2) You have to give up your PR status and apply again from scratch, this time including your wife as a dependent.

srivatsan90

Sep 5, 2017
Hi Zahid

Can you please let me know what happened to your Spouse's visa? I might undergo similar scenario while landing and I want to make sure I do the right intimation to CIC.
My consultant told me that we can intimate CIC that "I am getting married and I will sponsor my spouse later". This should not cause any problems. After settling down we can opt for family sponsorship visa.
Is that the right approach? Any suggestions?

Thanks
Sri

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Zahid

Can you please let me know what happened to your Spouse's visa? I might undergo similar scenario while landing and I want to make sure I do the right intimation to CIC.
My consultant told me that we can intimate CIC that "I am getting married and I will sponsor my spouse later". This should not cause any problems. After settling down we can opt for family sponsorship visa.
Is that the right approach? Any suggestions?

Thanks
Sri
Your consultant is an idiot who is going to ruin your life.

If you get married after receiving the PR visa but before landing in Canada, you MUST return your PR visa without using it to land and notify the visa office that you have gotten married. You must then add your wife to your application and wait for CIC to process her paperwork, medical and PCCs. CIC will then issue a new PR visa to both of you which you can then use to land.

If you do anything other than the above, you'll be committing misrepresentation by landing on a visa for a single person when you are actually married. This means you will never be able to sponsor your wife and may have your own PR status revoked.

Do not listen to your consultant. He has absolutely no idea what he's doing.

Reactions: canuck_in_uk

srivatsan90

Sep 5, 2017
If that's true, I am planning to postpone my marriage by a couple of months so that I can land, get the PR and come back and get married.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Any idea how much time it will take to add the spouse and get the new documents? Will it be the same 1 year period?
It will likely add 2-3 months to the overall processing time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If that's true, I am planning to postpone my marriage by a couple of months so that I can land, get the PR and come back and get married.
Yes - that is another option. If you wait until after you land in Canada to get married - then you will sponsor your wife later. You should note that as a PR, you must be living in Canada when you apply to sponsor your spouse and must continue living in Canada while her application is process. Also, it's quite possible she won't be able to obtain a visitor visa to Canada and you may have to be separated while the application is processed.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Usually better to delay your departure for a couple of months to add your wife before you land. Probably the fastest way and also guarantees you won't by separated.

Reactions: scylla