+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting a work permit while waiting for PR

Estefania

Star Member
Mar 29, 2018
Hi folks,
What are the chances to obtain an open work permit if I applied for PR through Family Sponsorship stream Other Relative? I'm the only principal applicant

Eligibility requirements if you apply from inside Canada
You can only apply for a work permit from inside Canada if

• you have a valid study or work permit;
  • your spouse, common-law partner or parents have a valid study or work permit;
  • you’re eligible for a post-graduation work permit and your study permit is still valid;
  • you have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more;
  • you’re waiting on a decision on an application for permanent residence from inside Canada;
  • you made a claim for refugee protection;
  • you’ve been recognized as a convention refugee or protected person by the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada;
  • you’re allowed to work in Canada without a work permit but you need a work permit to work in a different job (this does not apply to business visitors); or
  • you’re a trader, investor, intra-company transferee or professional under the Canada – United States – Mexico Agreement (CUSMA).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi folks,
What are the chances to obtain an open work permit if I applied for PR through Family Sponsorship stream Other Relative? I'm the only principal applicant

Eligibility requirements if you apply from inside Canada
You can only apply for a work permit from inside Canada if

• you have a valid study or work permit;
  • your spouse, common-law partner or parents have a valid study or work permit;
  • you’re eligible for a post-graduation work permit and your study permit is still valid;
  • you have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more;
  • you’re waiting on a decision on an application for permanent residence from inside Canada;
  • you made a claim for refugee protection;
  • you’ve been recognized as a convention refugee or protected person by the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada;
  • you’re allowed to work in Canada without a work permit but you need a work permit to work in a different job (this does not apply to business visitors); or
  • you’re a trader, investor, intra-company transferee or professional under the Canada – United States – Mexico Agreement (CUSMA).
None. Unfortunately you don't qualify. This option is only available to sponsored spouses and common law partners. Your application is an outside of Canada application (not inside). Only sponses and common law partners can have inside of Canada applications.

If you want a work permit, then your only option is to secure a job offer with an employer in Canada, have that employer go through the LMIA process and then apply for a closed work permit.

Estefania

Star Member
Mar 29, 2018
None. Unfortunately you don't qualify. This option is only available to sponsored spouses and common law partners. Your application is an outside of Canada application (not inside). Only sponses and common law partners can have inside of Canada applications.

If you want a work permit, then your only option is to secure a job offer with an employer in Canada, have that employer go through the LMIA process and then apply for a closed work permit.
Thanks for your response, I applied inside Canada but that's what I thought though

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for your response, I applied inside Canada but that's what I thought though
It's still classified as an outside of Canada application.

Reactions: Estefania