+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting a visitor's visa while waiting for PR - but broke!

CdnandTrini

Champion Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visa Office......
Port of Spain
App. Filed.......
Feb. 7, 2013
AOR Received.
Sept. 10, 2013 and "in process" Sept. 24, 2013
File Transfer...
March 28, 2013 (sponsor approval confirmed)
Med's Done....
Jan. 18, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Oct. 7, 2013 - Thank you Jesus!
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 4, 2013 - Thank you Lord
LANDED..........
Dec. 14, 2013 - Praise God. PR Card Feb. 14, 2014
mikeymyke said:
If you apply for TRV before PR application, you will have a higher chance of success with the TRV, because you're presumably not married yet, but the downside is if they refuse your TRV, you will have to answer YES on the application form, "have you ever been refused a TRV?".

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5669E.pdf

See the questions on the right? You have an idea what will happen if you answer YES to any of those questions? Yes you've guessed it, those are RED FLAG questions

If you apply TRV after PR application, you will have a lower chance of success with TRV because you are married, but the upside is if they refuse your TRV, it won't affect your PR application because you've already sent it.
mikeymyke - you are consistently adamant about your answers re: TRV "always" being a red flag and now the above statements about TRV outcomes before or after the PR app. is in process. I would sincerely like to know what you are basing your answers on. Is this your opinion, is it anecdotal, do you have any stats on this?

I have seen several of your posts on this subject and I am curious as to why you are so certain about this. IMHO if we are giving information to others (especially newbies) we have to be careful not to scare them into thinking our answers are based on facts or statistics (unless they are and we can back them up) or convince them that they have risked their future chances to become a PR based on prior attempts to visit.

M

mikeymyke

The big thing for me is seeing a TRV refusal as part of the red flag questions on the questionaire. I've also asked many members who had quick processing times from Singapore, about their TRVs, and they either had a successful TRV, or no TRV application at all. The ones who had to wait a long time, either had red flag in relationship, or a TRV refusal.

My fiance and I discussed this issue to death, and we both mutually agreed not to even attempt a TRV, despite her wealth and excellent travel history. It doesn't matter to us anyway, because I love to go visit her anyway, it's a nice time away from the cold winters in Edmonton.

Also, Singapore office has an extremely long processing time, 26 months please understand for me not wanting to add any potential delays. We want our future PR application to be solid with nothing to make the VO worry.

CdnandTrini

Champion Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visa Office......
Port of Spain
App. Filed.......
Feb. 7, 2013
AOR Received.
Sept. 10, 2013 and "in process" Sept. 24, 2013
File Transfer...
March 28, 2013 (sponsor approval confirmed)
Med's Done....
Jan. 18, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Oct. 7, 2013 - Thank you Jesus!
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 4, 2013 - Thank you Lord
LANDED..........
Dec. 14, 2013 - Praise God. PR Card Feb. 14, 2014
mikeymyke said:
The big thing for me is seeing a TRV refusal as part of the red flag questions on the questionaire. I've also asked many members who had quick processing times from Singapore, about their TRVs, and they either had a successful TRV, or no TRV application at all. The ones who had to wait a long time, either had red flag in relationship, or a TRV refusal.

My fiance and I discussed this issue to death, and we both mutually agreed not to even attempt a TRV, despite her wealth and excellent travel history. It doesn't matter to us anyway, because I love to go visit her anyway, it's a nice time away from the cold winters in Edmonton.

Also, Singapore office has an extremely long processing time, 26 months please understand for me not wanting to add any potential delays. We want our future PR application to be solid with nothing to make the VO worry.
mm - of course it is understandable for all of us not to want any delays added to a very stressful process. So would it be fair to say your answers are more related to your own personal experiences and concerns in relation to the Singapore VO?

I know that the forum members on the various VO threads sometimes see trends or patterns emerge from that specific VO. Sometimes these are common issues across all VOs and other times they only seem to be peculiar to one VO. For example, in the Port of Spain Office where my file was processed we have a spreadsheet going back for about 4-5 years and one year almost no one got called for interviews and the next year almost everyone got called for interviews. Who knows why, but I guess my point is that when we (forum members) give advice, suggestions or respond to questions I think it is more helpful to include the context of our experiences. As you just did above.

Why don't you fill in your side bar info. so people can see your timeline, VO and where you are at on the immigration roller coaster? I pray for you and all of the other Singapore folks that the overall processing time at that VO goes down. 26 months is brutal......really anything over a year is pretty tough for most people. Blessings.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Re: Please help!!!!!!!!

kranswap10 said:
Hello guys,
Does anyone here have an idea if i should need to go to the notary office and have notarize the photocopy of my passport for my spousal visa application? one of the requirements is the photocopy of my passport, should i really need for my passport photocopy be notarized? & need to get a certified true copy of my passport? or would that be fine if i just submit just the plain photocopy of my passport ? does anybody here encountered this? is it really required to be notarized? thank u guys for ur help, i do really appreciate any response from u. God bless.
I am from the US and my passport photocopy was NOT notarized or anything of that nature. Fresh off the printer and right into the envelope. What are the directions listed for your country? Does is say notarized copy? Follow the directions specific to your country.

Lifer

Star Member
Jun 30, 2010
Well this has not been a fun conversation =[
Sucks that immigration puts us in these spots where all we want is to see our family but we're scared to try because trying might (but who really knows? transparency would be nice!) make it take EVEN LONGER for us to be together.

Is there a thread for dissatisfied users of the immigration system? Because I think we ought to make some sort of well-organized appeal to the Canadian government to improve the system.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
I'd say 90% of the users here are dissatisfied users of the system, but 80% also agree that we're such a small percentage of the population that an even an organized effort out of this forum would not make enough noise and be a waste of time. (My %'s are not scientific in case anyone dares to ask - they are perceptionally derived estimations.)

Don't let us scare you from "trying", all red flags aside, I agree based on your provided info that your application for a TRV will be denied, and that's a HECK of a loss, for someone that is broke. IMHO, just because there is something or are things that are causes for a red flag (and the public becomes aware of them), that doesn't mean the system is broken, there had BETTER BE red flags of some sort with all the marriage fraud going on just to immigrate to Canada.

Lifer

Star Member
Jun 30, 2010
I don't really get how applying for a TRV and being denied is a giant loss when broke. It's a couple hundred bucks... We've spent tens of thousands over the last few years on direct and indirect costs, not to mention the lost income from my wife's time spent not working when she could easily get a decent job here in Canada.