+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting a visitor's visa while waiting for PR - but broke!

Lifer

Star Member
Jun 30, 2010
My wife and stepson have been waiting over 3 years for their PR visa, which was held up for a while by a tuberculosis scare (not to mention sssssssllllooooowwwwwww service). Now the doctors have checked them, then re-checked after two months and confirm that they are TB-free.

Rather than wait several months for the PR process to complete, we want to apply for a temporary visa so they can come here ASAP. The problem is, I'm now pretty broke! I used to have money and/or credit to show that I could support them while in Canada, but lately I've been going to school to get my B.Ed. and become a teacher. I'll be done in about 6 weeks and can start work immediately (easy to find work in my isolated northern town), but I don't have actual money in the bank or proof of employment.

Is this a sticking point, and if so what are our options? Could my parents write a letter stating that they will take care of my wife and stepson's financial needs while in Canada, or does it have to be me? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

M

mikeymyke

I think your chances are low anyway, to bring them here to visit because a kid + wife together coming to visit you, is a high chance for refusal, especially coming from a non-visa exempt country like thailand. She's a bargirl, so likely she doesn't have sufficient funds to visit with her son. People here will never tell you exactly how much money you're supposed to have to come here, but rough estimates are about $1000 per week of stay, to be safe, I'm not sure if she has the funds. She's never been to Canada or any other affluent country outside Thailand, so she likely has a poor travel history.

Also, your wife was refused a TRV before in the past, so that will work against you because CIC looks at past refusals. You even admitted that she was refused the first TRV because she had no job and insufficient funds, unless that was corrected this year, CIC will refuse her again. And you mention she has no relationship with her parents, so I'm not sure on the TRV if it's a big deal if she's not living or has relationship with her parents, I don't know if that would mean that she has no familiy ties in Thailand, meaning the strongest family tie is you in Canada, I'm sure its not a big deal, but overall, putting all those things together, its almost a 95% chance she will be turned down again.

You really shouldn't keep trying to pursue this, because a first TRV refusal isn't a big deal, but once you start getting 2nd or 3rd TRV refusals, that will start to become a red flag, because CIC will see it as your wife desperately trying to enter Canada so badly, which could lead them scheduling an interview, which will delay your application at least 6 months to 1 year.

CdnandTrini

Champion Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visa Office......
Port of Spain
App. Filed.......
Feb. 7, 2013
AOR Received.
Sept. 10, 2013 and "in process" Sept. 24, 2013
File Transfer...
March 28, 2013 (sponsor approval confirmed)
Med's Done....
Jan. 18, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Oct. 7, 2013 - Thank you Jesus!
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 4, 2013 - Thank you Lord
LANDED..........
Dec. 14, 2013 - Praise God. PR Card Feb. 14, 2014
Lifer said:
My wife and stepson have been waiting over 3 years for their PR visa, which was held up for a while by a tuberculosis scare (not to mention sssssssllllooooowwwwwww service). Now the doctors have checked them, then re-checked after two months and confirm that they are TB-free.

Rather than wait several months for the PR process to complete, we want to apply for a temporary visa so they can come here ASAP. The problem is, I'm now pretty broke! I used to have money and/or credit to show that I could support them while in Canada, but lately I've been going to school to get my B.Ed. and become a teacher. I'll be done in about 6 weeks and can start work immediately (easy to find work in my isolated northern town), but I don't have actual money in the bank or proof of employment.

Is this a sticking point, and if so what are our options? Could my parents write a letter stating that they will take care of my wife and stepson's financial needs while in Canada, or does it have to be me? Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Hello Lifer, unfortunately mikeymyke is correct about the reasons that you will most likely be refused again for a TRV. I do not always agree with him that they are a red flag in and of themselves; however, in your case I think he is right given the rest of the background details. My husband and I applied 4 times and were refused 4 times and although it did not hurt our PR application in the end, in your case it seems like it is also not a good financial decision for you right now either. This process is both emotionally and financially draining :(.

CIC will not care if your parents write a letter and to be honest, even if you had enough money, they would probably still refuse. They would think that your wife and step-son would be a high risk to overstay, no matter how good your intentions are. Your best and most realistic option is to sit tight, avoid an interview if possible and save some money while waiting. Probably not what you want to hear, but you will save yourself some disappointment and aggravation in the long run. Blessings.

M

mikeymyke

Easiest solution for this, is for you to go visit her instead. Forget about the TRV, it's a flawed process for spouses anyway, because although CIC recognizes dual intent, they still make it extremely difficult for spouses to visit, plus they even add a red flag question to the application asking if your spouse has ever been refused a TRV before, among other questions such as being a refugee, criminal, medical inadmisability, etc. It's outright ridiculous and comical.

Lifer

Star Member
Jun 30, 2010
Buuuuuuut the whole point is that she won't actually be visiting temporarily, but coming to stay permanently, expecting the PR process to finish while she's here. We were told that, with sponsorship approved for the PR, she wouldn't need to prove things like being compelled to return to Thailand. Am I wrong?

P.S. Not super-polite to assume that a person's wife of 3+ years is a bargirl. EDIT: I'm guessing you looked up an earlier post where I said so, but that was a long time ago.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
That's why mikeymyke said the system is "flawed". The CIC recognizes 'dual intent', yet yes you are in effect wrong . . . she still must show that she will return if she must when her visit visa expires.

Not ''super-polite" but the point being made was (either rightly or wrongly), that could very well be how the CIC "sees" it, and it's how they see it is what counts. Not how the anonymous entities found here see it.

M

mikeymyke

What you're trying to do is apply inland. In order to do that for your wife, you have to get her to be approved for a TRV first, or have her be in the country legally somehow, whether it's student visa or work permit, but seeing as how she's not qualifed for either, it seems TRV is the only option. As I mentioned before, your wife has an uphill battle to get that TRV, and its very very likely she will be refused again given the circumstances, which will negatively affect your PR application because the VO will note that she has made numerous attempts to enter Canada.

And sorry if you felt offended if I assumed your wife was a bar girl, but you even mentioned in your own words "she has only a high school education, no job, would be dirt poor without a man to support her", so I just assumed she was still doing what she did before, because someone like that with little education would have limited career prospects anyway. And you can see, just her financial situation alone will make them refuse the TRV, beside the fact that she's planning on bringing her son with her, which can also lead to a TRV refusal on its own. I'm sorry if it comes off as rude, but I'm just trying to tell you the truth, and how CIC sees things.

And last but not least, you have to remember, even if you manage somehow to get her here, and apply inland, if your application is refused because too many red flags, or something else, you will not be able to appeal the decision. Unless you feel 100% strongly about your relationship and that there's little chance the VO will refuse your application, I strongly suggest applying outland instead. The power of appeal is a powerful thing to have indeed.

CdnandTrini

Champion Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visa Office......
Port of Spain
App. Filed.......
Feb. 7, 2013
AOR Received.
Sept. 10, 2013 and "in process" Sept. 24, 2013
File Transfer...
March 28, 2013 (sponsor approval confirmed)
Med's Done....
Jan. 18, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Oct. 7, 2013 - Thank you Jesus!
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 4, 2013 - Thank you Lord
LANDED..........
Dec. 14, 2013 - Praise God. PR Card Feb. 14, 2014
Lifer said:
Buuuuuuut the whole point is that she won't actually be visiting temporarily, but coming to stay permanently, expecting the PR process to finish while she's here. We were told that, with sponsorship approved for the PR, she wouldn't need to prove things like being compelled to return to Thailand. Am I wrong?

P.S. Not super-polite to assume that a person's wife of 3+ years is a bargirl. EDIT: I'm guessing you looked up an earlier post where I said so, but that was a long time ago.
Hi Lifer, your points are logical and all of us who want CIC to recognize "dual intent" agree with you......Buuuuuuuut CIC does what they want with little to no accountability or transparency. The TRV process is highly unfair, illogical and what I also consider a mean, unfair and unethical money-grabbing process that is dangled in front of people desperate to be with their loved ones. They refuse parents whose child(ren) will be/have been born in Canada, they refuse people wanting to attend weddings, funerals, there is a guy (Cdn) on the forum who has been married for 20 years previously living with his wife in Mexico (they have 3 children together) and are in the PR process and she has been refused a TRV.

You can certainly go ahead and try, we are just providing the reasons (based upon member experiences) that CIC will likely deny. Not just you but most people in similar situations. Until people are PRs, they are temporary visitors. Usually the only people that get a TRV (from non-visa exempt countries) have visited Canada previously one or more times, returned and show lots of proof (assets, funds, jobs, school, employer letters etc.)

Nazmus

Star Member
Oct 15, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-06-2013
AOR Received.
22-07-2013
File Transfer...
29-07-2013
Med's Request
08-05-2014
Med's Done....
05-06-2014
Passport Req..
08-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2014
LANDED..........
24-09-2014
mikeymyke said:
Easiest solution for this, is for you to go visit her instead. Forget about the TRV, it's a flawed process for spouses anyway, because although CIC recognizes dual intent, they still make it extremely difficult for spouses to visit, plus they even add a red flag question to the application asking if your spouse has ever been refused a TRV before, among other questions such as being a refugee, criminal, medical inadmisability, etc. It's outright ridiculous and comical.
Hey mikeymyke,
How about when the spouse is sponsored first and then they apply for TRV? does that have any affect on the PRV?

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
I asked an immigration lawyer this question today. She said anytime someone applies for a TRV and they have a relationship(loved one) in Canada, the chances of refusal are like 99%. She said the officers "see" it as someone looking to immigrate without an immigrant visa. i.e. they will not leave at the end of their stay.

@Nazmus - a TRV application has no effect on the PRV(?permanent resident visa), assuming both applications contain truthful information.

M

mikeymyke

Nazmus said:
Hey mikeymyke,
How about when the spouse is sponsored first and then they apply for TRV? does that have any affect on the PRV?
If you apply for TRV before PR application, you will have a higher chance of success with the TRV, because you're presumably not married yet, but the downside is if they refuse your TRV, you will have to answer YES on the application form, "have you ever been refused a TRV?".

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5669E.pdf

See the questions on the right? You have an idea what will happen if you answer YES to any of those questions? Yes you've guessed it, those are RED FLAG questions

If you apply TRV after PR application, you will have a lower chance of success with TRV because you are married, but the upside is if they refuse your TRV, it won't affect your PR application because you've already sent it.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Actually, saying "Yes" to being denied a visa in Canada or anywhere else does not have any effect on future applications as long as it wasn't misrepresentation/fraud/security risk/ etc. If it did, I will not be here. You just have to be honest about it and attach a copy of the refusal letter each time.

Even if you were "denied admission" or "deported" or "ordered to leave", it will depend on the circumstances. In this case, the likelihood of getting any kind of temporary visa is slim to none. But you can qualify for permanent residence.

Nazmus

Star Member
Oct 15, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-06-2013
AOR Received.
22-07-2013
File Transfer...
29-07-2013
Med's Request
08-05-2014
Med's Done....
05-06-2014
Passport Req..
08-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2014
LANDED..........
24-09-2014
Thanks both you guys. Very useful information.

M

mikeymyke

SenoritaBella said:
Actually, saying "Yes" to being denied a visa in Canada or anywhere else does not have any effect on future applications as long as it wasn't misrepresentation/fraud/security risk/ etc. If it did, I will not be here. You just have to be honest about it and attach a copy of the refusal letter each time.

Even if you were "denied admission" or "deported" or "ordered to leave", it will depend on the circumstances. In this case, the likelihood of getting any kind of temporary visa is slim to none. But you can qualify for permanent residence.
yes but you don't want to give CIC any reason to look at your application with doubt or uncertainty, which can lead to delays and I'm sure no body here wants delays. If you're refused a TRV, you have to answer YES to that question on the form I just showed above. When the VO sees that yes, they will probably put it in a pile with other applicatoins that checked off YES to the red flag questions, maybe sitting there for an extra month or two. Then they will have to comb through the reasons why you checked off YES, and investigate it, etc etc etc, all leading to delays.

When they see you've checked off NO to all questions, then I'm sure they just pass your application along to the next stage of review. (Ok, this person checked off all NO, now moving on to evaluation of relationship) vs (ok this person checked YES, put it with the rest of the YES pile, now few months later, ok let's see why he/she checked off YES, hmmm hmmmm hmmm, etc etc). You see why people here on Canadavisa forums, whose spouses are from the Singapore VO, the ones who have application problems end up waiting 2-3 years, the ones (as recently as 5 months ago) who have a strong application get their PR approved in 6-7 months. And this is from Singapore VO, which is notorious for its 26 month processing time.

kranswap10

Sep 27, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2014
Med's Done....
22-10-2013
Passport Req..
14-07-2014
Please help!!!!!!!!

Hello guys,
Does anyone here have an idea if i should need to go to the notary office and have notarize the photocopy of my passport for my spousal visa application? one of the requirements is the photocopy of my passport, should i really need for my passport photocopy be notarized? & need to get a certified true copy of my passport? or would that be fine if i just submit just the plain photocopy of my passport ? does anybody here encountered this? is it really required to be notarized? thank u guys for ur help, i do really appreciate any response from u. God bless.