+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting a mortgage without PR

canadawill

Star Member
Jun 5, 2021
Hello,

I know that it is possible to get a mortgage without permanent residency to buy a property, but what is the likelihood here? Obviously, I do not have a Canadian credit rating - but I have a very good rating in the UK.

What are my options to approach this?

I'd like to purchase an apartment in Calgary with a mortgage of around $300,000 and a deposit of $75,000.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I know that it is possible to get a mortgage without permanent residency to buy a property, but what is the likelihood here? Obviously, I do not have a Canadian credit rating - but I have a very good rating in the UK.

I'd like to purchase an apartment in Calgary with a mortgage of around $300,000 and a deposit of $75,000.
Go to a financial institution and ask someone if you qualify.

canadawill

Star Member
Jun 5, 2021
Seems like Canada brought a law in this January to stop foreigners buying residential properties in cities with pop over 10k. Will last 2 years. Need PR to buy now. Damn.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Seems like Canada brought a law in this January to stop foreigners buying residential properties in cities with pop over 10k. Will last 2 years. Need PR to buy now. Damn.
When did you arrive in Canada? If you have been filing taxes in Canada over the last four years, you can.

There are also other exceptions to the ban. Some people who are not technically citizens or permanent residents can still buy property over the next two years. These exceptions include:

• Non-residents married to a citizen.
  • Diplomats and members of international organizations who are living in Canada.
  • Refugees and those with temporary resident status.
  • Workers who have worked and filed tax returns in Canada for three out of the four years before buying property.
  • International students who have spent most of the previous five years in the country (they can buy property up to $500,000).

canadawill

Star Member
Jun 5, 2021
When did you arrive in Canada? If you have been filing taxes in Canada over the last four years, you can.

There are also other exceptions to the ban. Some people who are not technically citizens or permanent residents can still buy property over the next two years. These exceptions include:

• Non-residents married to a citizen.
  • Diplomats and members of international organizations who are living in Canada.
  • Refugees and those with temporary resident status.
  • Workers who have worked and filed tax returns in Canada for three out of the four years before buying property.
  • International students who have spent most of the previous five years in the country (they can buy property up to $500,000).
Thanks for the info but sadly doesn't apply to me - I am not yet in canada and haven't worked there.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the info but sadly doesn't apply to me - I am not yet in canada and haven't worked there.
How about buying residential properties in cities (such as Morden, MB) with pop less than 10k? I think foreigners can still buy recreation properties.

Reactions: Naturgrl

PenguMortgage

Mar 16, 2023
Hello,

Right now in 2023 it's not possible for a non-resident to purchase anything in Canada as they banned that for 2 year...