+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

getting a job after landing

Outbound

Jul 25, 2009
I agree 1000% with these comments!! I have not seen it at this level in the US.

cheguevera said:
One thing that people and Canadians are not paying attention to is that Canada is not the country of equality and racial integration that it used to be. People migrated from all over the world but few actually embraced the traditional values that Canada was known for.

When I say “affinity between the candidate and the employer”, I literally mean social and racial affinity. The first thing the recruiter and the employer will look at in your resume is your name and the location of education. From there, they know who you are and where you come from. If the recruiter is john and you Steve, he is Young and you Li, or he is Jordan and you are Jackson, then you may have a chance, otherwise you will not make the first cut. This is just the reality here. It is exactly the same thing that I experienced outside of Canada. Personally, I am highly education, have an extensive experience in one of the field highly in demand here, but I still struggle to make it to an interview.

Twice I was invited for an informal interview about jobs opening at two different companies. From the moment my host walked into the waiting room, I could read in his/her face “you are not the person I was expecting”. I have to admit that I am not handsome like Decaprio but I was more professionally dressed than they were. The reality is I was different.
Suddenly, the positions available shrink for many to one or less, there are not lot of tasks, the salary is brought down to a level inacceptable to anybody, just to make me give up. And I did, because I understood. At some moment, I asked myself “is it really worth it to go to the interview”?

To answer your question Mr.nj123
Your friends maybe lucky! To understand whether they are truly lucky match their ethnic group with that of their employers or check whether their employers have business ties in South Africa. I have seen people highly educated, living here for years but never got a chance to interview.

nj123

Mar 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2010
File Transfer...
13-05-2010
Med's Request
29-01-2010
Thought I'd inject some hope into this thread ... ;D

See here http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/it-manager-t31217.45.html look for isysy's story.
In his last post he turned down 3 job offers ... 8)

my story...

Applied for 3 positions online on last Thursday night, got responses for all 3. For 2, they asked me to contact them when I land. For 1, I had my first telephone interview on friday night (i.e. next day). They wanted me to start in 2 weeks but I turned it down as I'm taking a IT project live in December. They asked me to contact them when I finally land in Jan 2011.

I suppose this makes me hopeful, but nothing is guaranteed until it is signed and sealed but this is a hopeful start...

Cheers all,

trinatocanada

Dec 18, 2008
The Middle East
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congrats nj!

I also applied online a couple of months before landing. I managed to set up six interviews and went to all of them when I got here and finally decided to take the job offer in ottawa.

cheguevera

Jun 7, 2010
Congratulation to you both,It's amazing!
I know that Physiotherapy and IT are highly in demand but I have met some people with PhD in the field of physiotherapy and still looking. Maybe you could provide some tips here so that those struggling could benefit from your experience.

trinatocanada

Dec 18, 2008
The Middle East
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cheguevera said:
I know that Physiotherapy and IT are highly in demand but I have met some people with PhD in the field of physiotherapy and still looking. Maybe you could provide some tips here so that those struggling could benefit from your experience.
When I sent out my resume, I told them I was looking for an entry position in the field because my license was still under process. In the interview, they offered my a post as PTA until I get my license and they will hire me as a full time PT as soon as that happens.

nj123

Mar 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2010
File Transfer...
13-05-2010
Med's Request
29-01-2010
cheguevera said:
I just updated my CV and send it out (this was just a poke in the dark to see what happens. I will reformat this soon)...
However, I applied for jobs that matched 100% to what I do/know...

apple3981

Nov 13, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
trinatocanada said:
Congrats nj!

I also applied online a couple of months before landing. I managed to set up six interviews and went to all of them when I got here and finally decided to take the job offer in ottawa.
Congratulations to you both, that is inspiring!

kimwayne

Nov 9, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-11-10
Doc's Request.
BD has been cashed out(Nov.10,2010)
Nomination.....
In Process(February 23,2011),Centralized Intake Office Sydney (CIO-S) Eligibility Review Complete (February 26,2011)
AOR Received.
PER received February 23,2011,2nd AOR(Per) March 17,2011
IELTS Request
submitted with the rest of the documents
File Transfer...
March 24,2011
Med's Request
July 13,2011
Med's Done....
July 28,2011.Payment for processing and RPRF for my wife done in SEPT.16,2011
Interview........
i hope not
Passport Req..
Nov.28,2011
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 11,2011
LANDED..........
April 30,2012..Successfully completed and became a permanent resident holder.
wow,i find this thread worth reading.Thanks!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Honolulu

Jan 14, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 25th 2009 ( at Sydney)
LANDED..........
December 29th
Any opinions on jobs at Tim Hortons, Macdonalds or Subway etc.?
What I was wondering is are thee hard to get as well?!!

cheguevera

Jun 7, 2010
Hi,

A recent study published in The Canadian Press reveals a widening gap in wage between newcomers and Canadian. The study team shows that the number one reason is DISCRIMINATION although the lack of trust in the credentials of new immigrants are also questioned.

Please show the employers that it's because you are capable that you are here and do not settle down for cheap wages unless you really need ....

Cheers

Cdn28

Star Member
Dec 20, 2010
I experienced 'highs' and 'lows' when reading all the threads. Excitement for those who have had success and sadness for the others.

Unfortunately, even a country as open as Canada will have some discrimation. It will be an individuals problem (the manager) not the companies issue as this is illegal and HR departments within most companies work very hard at training their managers on this issue. As in a lot of countries it often rests on 'how you were brought up'. I personally come from a very multi-cultural family and don't see white, black, brown skinned individuals when I look at my family, but I'm not naive to think that others don't.

As one person wrote, all you can do is prepare yourself as best as possible for the Canadian system of job searching. Have a Canadian resume, understand how networking, interviewing etc. is different in Canada and adapt to it. Understand the very important behavioural expectations regarding eye contact, shaking hands etc. All of these things are VERY important.

Here is a link to a friends site on their experience. They are originally from Syria

http://www.immigrationexpertise.com/2005/12/welcome.html

Also look at shis page that another member posts:

http://careego.com/CareerResources/ImmigrationJobSearch/Stratégiesderecherchedemploi/tabid/325/language/en-CA/Default.aspx#

niwrrehs

Dec 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Canadian Embassy Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Doc's Request.
January 2010
File Transfer...
January 2010
Med's Request
June 2010
Med's Done....
July 2010
Passport Req..
September 2010
VISA ISSUED...
October 2010
LANDED..........
March 24 2011
Hi to all...
I understand that searching for a job that you expect suit for your qualification is very very hard. But i think looking for odd job or shall i say survival job is very easy according to many friends of mine who came 3-4 months earlier from this day.
Any comments is surely be appreciated. Im planning to land this coming march in toronto. Thanks Buddies

apple3981

Nov 13, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Very sad and eye opening all this...