+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

GET YOUR HEALTH CARD AND HEALTH INSURANCE!

amitheonlyone

Mar 16, 2012
**VERY IMPORTANT**

For anybody thinking their wife or husband can't be covered by insurance in Canada until they get PR, that is not correct! I called Health PEI again and got a much more knowledgeable person than the first time I called. She said "As long you have a receipt for PR, her expired student visa, her birth certificate, and your marriage certificate, you can get a health card. It will take about 10 days to be processed and then when you receive it you can get extended coverage through any company of your choice if you wish."

So yeah! A lot of this PR stuff is not written out and you have to look for it. I almost want to write a small book after this is all over detailing the tips and tricks that nobody tells you about.

Anyway, all you people who have applied for PR should be eligible for health coverage!

Details:
The coverage offered by the province will be active for two years (it's supposed to give you enough time to get PR accepted). Keep in mind that it is very limited as to what it covers so as soon as you get your health card you should apply for extended health coverage though the insurance company of your choice. You can only apply for extended health coverage when you have your health card because the insurance company will ask for your health card number.

Good luck!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
amitheonlyone said:
For anybody thinking their wife or husband can't be covered by insurance in Canada until they get PR, that is not correct! I called Health PEI again and got a much more knowledgeable person than the first time I called.
The rules are different from province to province. In some provinces you can in fact get covered earlier (BC is another province that seems to allow this). In others you can't.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
It sounds like she was already in PEI because of her expired student visa. If that's the case, she may already meet the 90 day residency requirements. I know when I got married, Alberta Healthcare let me get on my husband's healthcare immediately, but I'd already met my residency requirements (which was proved by my visitor's record).

Your case might be different than someone moving in from overseas. Either way, congrats! :)

haver

May 30, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It really depends on the province. We were inquiring for a client of ours in BC, who is a P.R and brought his family here from Russia to sponsor and they told us that if they apply for sponsorship and have proof that they passed the first stage, they will be able to apply for MSP coverage.

margobear96

Star Member
Dec 21, 2012
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 15, 2012 (rec'd)
AOR Received.
November 26, 2012
File Transfer...
November 26, 2012
Med's Done....
September 29, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
April 23, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 26, 2013 (rec'd May 2, 2013)
LANDED..........
May 4, 2013
haver said:
It really depends on the province. We were inquiring for a client of ours in BC, who is a P.R and brought his family here from Russia to sponsor and they told us that if they apply for sponsorship and have proof that they passed the first stage, they will be able to apply for MSP coverage.
The relevant article from MSP's website: http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/pdf/covering-a-spouse-or-child-who-is-an-applicant-for-permanent-resident-status-in-canada.pdf
I just got coverage in BC.

Canuckluvus

Star Member
Jan 26, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-03-2013
AOR Received.
20-03-2013
Med's Done....
05-02-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-10-2013
LANDED..........
14-12-2013
margobear96 said:
The relevant article from MSP's website: http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/pdf/covering-a-spouse-or-child-who-is-an-applicant-for-permanent-resident-status-in-canada.pdf
I just got coverage in BC.
I read this myself and wasn't sure it applied to my situation.My wife and I have had our sponsership approved and her PR application has been acknowledged. They also noted that her medical forms were received. We are applying outland but I am wondering if I can apply for BC MSP even though she is "visiting" based on her application for PR being processed. Apparently they will sometimes accept that. I'm wondering if it is only for Inland applicants though because they stress on the BC MSP website that visitors and tourists cannot apply. Anyone know if this is the case? Is applying something we should risk...as well we applied for an extension to her visitor staus back in February and still have not received an answer. She is a US citizen. Is this something to worry about? She will be here 6 months now.

margobear96

Star Member
Dec 21, 2012
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
November 26, 2012
File Transfer...
November 26, 2012
Med's Done....
September 29, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
April 23, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
May 4, 2013
Canuckluvus said:
I read this myself and wasn't sure it applied to my situation.My wife and I have had our sponsership approved and her PR application has been acknowledged. They also noted that her medical forms were received. We are applying outland but I am wondering if I can apply for BC MSP even though she is "visiting" based on her application for PR being processed. Apparently they will sometimes accept that. I'm wondering if it is only for Inland applicants though because they stress on the BC MSP website that visitors and tourists cannot apply. Anyone know if this is the case? Is applying something we should risk...as well we applied for an extension to her visitor staus back in February and still have not received an answer. She is a US citizen. Is this something to worry about? She will be here 6 months now.
I'm in Canada with a visitor record and applied outland, and got MSP coverage. As per the article, your wife and I are "deemed residents". To get coverage, I had to first get the MSP change form (to be added to my husband's coverage) from my husband's HR dept. I sent them the form with a cover letter and photocopies of all the documents listed in the article. HR reviewed and sent it on to MSP. They said it could take up to 8 weeks to process. I called MSP after 7 weeks and they said I was approved and gave me my number. The Care Cards are apparently on back order because they're having production issues (Service Canada is supposed to be issuing one card that has MSP info on it?). I told HR the number and they added me to my husband's extended coverage.

BTW if you have a visitor record (I think it should be at least good for 6 months), your wife can also get her BC drivers license.

Canuckluvus

Star Member
Jan 26, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-03-2013
AOR Received.
20-03-2013
Med's Done....
05-02-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-10-2013
LANDED..........
14-12-2013
margobear96 said:
I'm in Canada with a visitor record and applied outland, and got MSP coverage. As per the article, your wife and I are "deemed residents". To get coverage, I had to first get the MSP change form (to be added to my husband's coverage) from my husband's HR dept. I sent them the form with a cover letter and photocopies of all the documents listed in the article. HR reviewed and sent it on to MSP. They said it could take up to 8 weeks to process. I called MSP after 7 weeks and they said I was approved and gave me my number. The Care Cards are apparently on back order because they're having production issues (Service Canada is supposed to be issuing one card that has MSP info on it?). I told HR the number and they added me to my husband's extended coverage.

BTW if you have a visitor record (I think it should be at least good for 6 months), your wife can also get her BC drivers license.

[/quote.

What actually constitutes a visitors record for US citizen? Her US passport was stamped with her entry when she came in last Oct 2012 but we still haven't heard anything on her extension to visit application which we sent in in Feb 2013. We understand she has implied status while we wait.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
It took 5 months for my last VR to come through.

A VR is a piece of paper, about 8x11. It has the official forms with a little foil on it. It lists her information, her immigration status, etc. It's pretty neat ;)

Canuckluvus

Star Member
Jan 26, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-03-2013
AOR Received.
20-03-2013
Med's Done....
05-02-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-10-2013
LANDED..........
14-12-2013
amikety said:
It took 5 months for my last VR to come through.

A VR is a piece of paper, about 8x11. It has the official forms with a little foil on it. It lists her information, her immigration status, etc. It's pretty neat ;)
cool do you get that once they approve your application for an extension to visit?

Hendricks

Apr 29, 2013
Its really a good news for who are not the PR of Canada, and its process is very easy and they can get 2 year of insurance, really awesome. Some friends of mine are facing these problem now i will guide them the right way.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Canuckluvus said:
cool do you get that once they approve your application for an extension to visit?
Yes, they will mail it. It's the only way I know my extensions are approved. MyCIC has never updated to tell me.

margobear96

Star Member
Dec 21, 2012
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
November 26, 2012
File Transfer...
November 26, 2012
Med's Done....
September 29, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
April 23, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
May 4, 2013
Canuckluvus said:
What actually constitutes a visitors record for US citizen? Her US passport was stamped with her entry when she came in last Oct 2012 but we still haven't heard anything on her extension to visit application which we sent in in Feb 2013. We understand she has implied status while we wait.
As Amikety said it's a separate sheet of paper with foil seal on it. When I got mine at the border, the IO stapled it into my passport.

BTW, you should call or email and follow up about your extension. According to the website, the processing time for visitor visas (and I assume visitor records) is 34 days...if applied for online in Canada.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp